FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   I know I'm a major worrywart, but... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/750147-i-know-im-major-worrywart-but.html)

MrAndy1369 Oct 25, 2007 2:11 pm

I know I'm a major worrywart, but...

I just can't help but worry that I have somehow ended up on the no-fly list or something. =/ I have heard that people who are against the war, who are heavily involved in politics, and even people who speak up sometimes are put on the list. I wonder what the criteria is to get on the list.

I haven't obviously "spoken up", but I do sign many petitions from ACLU, Moveon.org, Peta, etc., and I made a blog about my bad experience with ATA. I know I'm worrying needlessly, probably, but I heard a lot of negative press - infants, Ted Kennedy, etc. being banned from flying, and even professors who spoke out against Bush, and I may have someone else with the same name as me on the list, which will make things harder for me.

I'm going home for Christmas and I don't want to deal with this- I just want to be able to see my family. Do you have ANY idea how people get on that list, and any way at all I can check?

Sorry for sounding so worriesome...

GUWonder Oct 25, 2007 2:17 pm

From what you listed, there shouldn't be any problem. And if you are to get blacklisted for having peacefully expressed your political opinions, you are in good company. ;)

brendog Oct 25, 2007 2:19 pm

I wouldn't worry at all. Particularly if you do not fit the extremely racist profiles used by the Stasi, er Homeland Insecurity (e.g., non-caucasian, Muslim, etc...).

I am extremely politically active and have taken part in many protests and even have some arrests on my record from my highly active college years for having taken part in protests. I have had absolutely zero trouble anywhere in the world and I fly at least 3 or 4 times per month.

GUWonder Oct 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Buy a refundable ticket in your name for domestic US travel on the carrier you will be flying, check-in online and if you can print your own boarding pass, you are not on a no-fly list. Just make sure to call the airline before scheduled flight departure to "uncheck you" and then ask for the ticket to be refunded.

Spiff Oct 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. ;)

(We sign many of the same petitions, it seems...)

bigjoc Oct 25, 2007 2:21 pm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/custome...ess/index.shtm

Have you tried the link above to contact them about your difficulties in flying?

Superguy Oct 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 8620082)
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. ;)

(We sign many of the same petitions, it seems...)

Yeah, if YOU'RE not it, I'm sure he's safe. :D

MileageAddict Oct 25, 2007 2:45 pm

As Spiff is allowed to fly regularly, I would be fairly confident no other FTer is on "the list". :D

MrAndy1369 Oct 25, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks for all your answers. I feel a bit better... but I think I should still plan ahead.

Let's just think - in the unlikely scenario that I'm at DCA, about two hours before I'm scheduled to fly home, and I'm unable to check in, and am told I'm on the no-fly list, and after a call to the TSA, they confirm it's ME who's the guilty culprit, not just a matching name, then what happens?

By the way, bigjoc - I currently don't have any problems flying; I'm just worrying and imagining.

Wally Bird Oct 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 8620252)
I'm just worrying and imagining.

Which pretty much sums up America :eek:

muddy Oct 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 8620028)
I just can't help but worry that I have somehow ended up on the no-fly list or something. =/ I have heard that people who are against the war, who are heavily involved in politics, and even people who speak up sometimes are put on the list. ...

This post makes me realize how much damage the current administration has done to our country and our way of life. "the list" for crying out loud ... it sounds like an old Nazi Germany movie.

err .... did I just make "the list" with this post???

bakoboy Oct 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Probably

CessnaJock Oct 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Joseph Raymond McCarthy
I have a list of 50 names...

Superguy Oct 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by muddy (Post 8620476)
This post makes me realize how much damage the current administration has done to our country and our way of life. "the list" for crying out loud ... it sounds like an old Nazi Germany movie.

err .... did I just make "the list" with this post???

The only good list during that time was Schindler's list ... that actually got people OUT of trouble. /sigh

MileageAddict Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm

My list:

cheese sticks
1 lb ground turkey
V-8 juice
regular instant oatmeal
bananas
spray starch
cat litter