FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Crew/Employees Exempt from Shoe Carnival & Liquid Idiocy but Still Screened: Why? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/749650-crew-employees-exempt-shoe-carnival-liquid-idiocy-but-still-screened-why.html)

Spiff Oct 24, 2007 5:33 am

Crew/Employees Exempt from Shoe Carnival & Liquid Idiocy but Still Screened: Why?

So, crew/employees can keep their shoes on and take all the liquids they like, but still are checked for guns and their carry-ons checked for obvious, Wile E. Coyote bombs. What does this tell us about such selective exemption? Does it mean that their background check is a predictor for shoe bombs and magical liquid explosives that contradict science, but not a predictor for guns and traditional bombs?

Nonsense.

It just serves to underscore that the Shoe Carnival is 100% harassment and that the Liquid "Threat" is a Big Fat LIE.

alphaeagle Oct 24, 2007 5:49 am

While it feels kind of odd for me to be defending the TSA, as I think its just a waste of money, I do have a possible reason for this. I just think it's because they are looking for people who accidentally bring a knife or a gun or whatever. I do know people who have accidentally brought these through the checkpoint (successfully, I might add :rolleyes:)

Spiff Oct 24, 2007 5:56 am

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 8612752)
While it feels kind of odd for me to be defending the TSA, as I think its just a waste of money, I do have a possible reason for this. I just think it's because they are looking for people who accidentally bring a knife or a gun or whatever. I do know people who have accidentally brought these through the checkpoint (successfully, I might add :rolleyes:)

Such accidental items are extremely unlikely to be used as weapons so I don't think your hypothesis is correct.

SNA_Flyer Oct 24, 2007 11:01 am

Spiff - I noticed this too when I was through ORD last week on a connect. The employee screening rooms allow everyone through with their shoes. If I had my camera with me I would have taken some photos.

This is the kind of thing that really gets my blood boiling about the TSA. When is someone going to get around to stringing Kip up like a piņata and hitting him with a stick?

alphaeagle Oct 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 8612776)
Such accidental items are extremely unlikely to be used as weapons so I don't think your hypothesis is correct.

Oh I agree, but you asked why :p

Superguy Oct 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 8612776)

Especially when the only weapon they need is in the palm of the pilots hands: the yoke.

Superguy Oct 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 8614444)
Spiff - I noticed this too when I was through ORD last week on a connect. The employee screening rooms allow everyone through with their shoes. If I had my camera with me I would have taken some photos.

This is the kind of thing that really gets my blood boiling about the TSA. When is someone going to get around to stringing Kip up like a piņata and hitting him with a stick?

I wonder if cafepress.com could create a Kip Hawley Pinata?

My son's birthday is next week. Hmmm ... :D

Elizabeth W. Oct 25, 2007 5:07 pm

I know at MCO (Orlando) they really cracked down on screening staff when some ramp agents were involved in some kind of South American drug smuggling ring. So the TSA may be looking for other stuff besides things that go boom.

Superguy Oct 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Elizabeth W. (Post 8621066)
I know at MCO (Orlando) they really cracked down on screening staff when some ramp agents were involved in some kind of South American drug smuggling ring. So the TSA may be looking for other stuff besides things that go boom.

That's not their job though. :td: Guns, explosives, ok. Anything not on the prohibited item list: no way. Let LEO's do their job.

thegeneral Oct 26, 2007 1:54 am

What do you mean by shoe carnival and liquid idiocy?

Spiff Oct 26, 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8623015)

Do a search.

DL4EVR Oct 26, 2007 11:24 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral (Post 8623015)

You know darn well what he means...:rolleyes:

TravellingMan Oct 26, 2007 11:54 am

I found that if you are trailing behind crew memeber, you get to follow in the slipstream. In SEA, I was behind a pilot and noticed that he never took off his shoes, I just followed him and was ok. The TSA members were busy chatting with each other than they just gave me a glance and continued chatting.

eyecue Oct 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Ummm employees are not exempt from the liquid ban. Niether is TSA.

Superguy Oct 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 8626044)
Ummm employees are not exempt from the liquid ban. Niether is TSA.

No worries. They can just replenish what they have to give up from items confiscated from pax. Pumpkin pie in the breakroom anyone?