Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Joe Sharkey: Bad Enough Being Shoeless but Just Look at This Décor

Old Oct 23, 07, 4:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

LINK

It's not just about the veneer:

Given bare or stockinged feet, the lack of floor mats is also a chronic problem, Mr. Weinstein said. Matt Blaze, an associate professor of computer science at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert in security cryptology, agreed.

“Somehow we ended up with this cobbled-together mess,” he said. “At the very point in the process at which you have to take your shoes off, that’s where the carpeting ends.”

From a customer service standpoint, it’s “infuriating,” he said. But disorder also raises genuine security concerns.

“There’s no better place to get away with something than a chaotic environment,” he said.
Old Oct 23, 07, 6:55 am

An uncarpetted floor is easier to clean and disinfect. I wouldn't want to walk across a carpet that hundreds of thousands of other people have walked on
Old Oct 23, 07, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR View Post
An uncarpetted floor is easier to clean and disinfect. I wouldn't want to walk across a carpet that hundreds of thousands of other people have walked on

My guess would be that while the floor may be "cleaned" once in a while, it is never disinfected.
Old Oct 23, 07, 8:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'm just waiting for the MRSA outbreak to move to and create a problem at the checkpoints. All it will take is one or more people to walk through in bare feet with an open MRSA sore on their feet to infect a LOT of people.

There are published concerns about spreading MRSA in mass transit: Link
Old Oct 23, 07, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole "security" thing is a sham, a waste and a disgrace. I still say in the near future all passengers will be forced to fly naked and without any carry on luggage, purses. computers etc.

Oh yes, I think its time for new designer TSA Officer uniforms.

MisterNice
Old Oct 24, 07, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by MisterNice View Post
I still say in the near future all passengers will be forced to fly naked . . . .

MisterNice
If so, I want to fly with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.
Old Oct 24, 07, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The whole "security" thing is a sham, a waste and a disgrace. I still say in the near future all passengers will be forced to fly naked and without any carry on luggage, purses. computers etc.
... except for the "fly naked" part above, the rest of it I have seen enforced on a few commercial routes I have flown. It made for interesting problems.
Old Oct 24, 07, 9:59 am

I still say in the near future all passengers will be forced to fly naked and without any carry on luggage, purses. computers etc. MisterNice
Where will I keep my weapon? Let's see, I'll need some duct tape, a long string.....
Old Oct 24, 07, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgilmer View Post
that reminds me of the Johnny Carson Karnak spot he did once:

Karnak holds the envelope up to his head and says, "It's a football question and the answer is 'touchback'"

He opens the envelope and reads the question: "What should you do if a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader touches you?"
Old Oct 24, 07, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Oh yes, I think its time for new designer TSA Officer uniforms.

MisterNice
Oh be realistic. You won't fly naked.... you'll be issued one of those disposable paper gowns just like the ones used in hospitals.
Old Nov 2, 07, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mgilmer View Post
...and hope for a bumpy landing
Old Nov 2, 07, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Oh be realistic. You won't fly naked.... you'll be issued one of those disposable paper gowns just like the ones used in hospitals.
You'd have to. Else you'd find skid-marks after the pilot brakes really hard....
Old Nov 3, 07, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite, etc, etc, etc
TUS - which the article starts off with... (my hometown airport) is going through a major rennovation in the AA side (I assume the other terminal as well).

When you get off of the plane, the first thing you see are the bare wires hanging out of the framed-by-no-ceiling-tile ceiling, various pieces of tape on the floor, temporary partitions, even "crime scene" tape... and the TSA area is no exception....

In fact as you go from the ticket counters up the long ramp behind the initial BP inspector, you had better not be wearing brand new leather-soled shoes.... I think that Simon and Garfunkel (or was it just Paul Simon) song comes to mind.... Slip Sliding Away.... Slip Sliiiding Aaaawaaaaayyyy.....

Hopefully, when all is said and done, TUS gets a new terminal and the good folks at TUS TSA (and yes, they are still my favorite ones!) get a decent place to work...

Welcome to Tucson International Airport....Don't bump your head on the crap hanging out of the ceiling....

Search this Thread