ORD TSA at UA in fine form this morning

Old Oct 22, 07, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
ORD TSA at UA in fine form this morning

First of all the line was almost out the door at 4:30 AM. They did not open the checkpoints until just before 5 AM. The first flight I know of starts boarding at 5:30.

The TSA had not set up the cattle chutes properly. They kept moving the posts and ribbons of the chutes around and sending people on to the check point. Then the guy watching the magnetometer sent 20 people back because the TSA had not checked ID and marked the boarding passes. Back to the end of the line with them!

Finally I get my turn and the fellow spends literaly two minutes checking my standard Illinois drivers license before he believes it is legitimate.

Next the fast food workers were all late (still waiting in line?)so there was no coffee to be found anywhere.

It isn't as if the TSA doesn't do these things 365 days a year. You would think the TSA would have it down to a fine science by now.

Sigh......
Old Oct 22, 07, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot View Post
First of all the line was almost out the door at 4:30 AM. They did not open the checkpoints until just before 5 AM. The first flight I know of starts boarding at 5:30.

The TSA had not set up the cattle chutes properly. They kept moving the posts and ribbons of the chutes around and sending people on to the check point. Then the guy watching the magnetometer sent 20 people back because the TSA had not checked ID and marked the boarding passes. Back to the end of the line with them!

Finally I get my turn and the fellow spends literaly two minutes checking my standard Illinois drivers license before he believes it is legitimate.

Next the fast food workers were all late (still waiting in line?)so there was no coffee to be found anywhere.

It isn't as if the TSA doesn't do these things 365 days a year. You would think the TSA would have it down to a fine science by now.

Sigh......
Man, it seems from all the threads that ever since the TSA took over ID checking, the lines has gotten exponentially longer and has caused problems. Is that really the case? Didn't private contractors take a long time to check IDs too?
Old Oct 22, 07, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Sigh......
Exact same thing happened at PIT. At 4:55am, ONLY the elite/FC lane was open and the lines were out the door. There was a TSA gathering by the checkpoint desk, but the main security chutes were not open.
Old Oct 22, 07, 3:02 pm

Pit

With the backups that can happen at peak times at PIT, I hate to think of that airport if US still had 500 plus flights. Call it ATL North!
Old Oct 22, 07, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Didn't private contractors take a long time to check IDs too?
It is much faster to pretend to look at an ID than to pretend that you are really scrutinizing an ID.
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Man, it seems from all the threads that ever since the TSA took over ID checking, the lines has gotten exponentially longer and has caused problems. Is that really the case? Didn't private contractors take a long time to check IDs too?
Lines have generally been worse (i.e., longer and slower moving) after TSA took over than before, as far as my experience goes.
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:25 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by pantoot View Post
It is much faster to pretend to look at an ID than to pretend that you are really scrutinizing an ID.
Bravo!

When we were returning from a quick trip to Vegas, the (contract) ID checker looked at MrsJ's BP and pretend-looked at her passport and sent her on after initialing the BP. I say pretend-looked because he never flipped to the back cover to see the amendment endorsement changing her last name from her maiden name printed on the data page! The usual response when seeing her passport and BP last names don't match is "These don't match" to which she flips to the last page. But this guy neither asked about it nor looked himself.

Both before AND after the WTMD, the TSOs were all over the name deal. The TSO after the WTMD even called over a super thinking it was some sort of trick. Of course that won't happen any more because the RFID chipped passports have to be remade upon a name change.
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Lines have generally been worse (i.e., longer and slower moving) after TSA took over than before, as far as my experience goes.
Well, maybe people will complain to the airlines, and the airlines will complain to TSA, who then will clean up their act and make the ID checkers not be so slow with their duties?
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well, maybe people will complain to the airlines, and the airlines will complain to TSA, who then will clean up their act and make the ID checkers not be so slow with their duties?
I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The airlines have shown themselves to be surrender monkeys in the face of the slightest bit of pressure or unwilling to push back hard against the feds.
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. The airlines have shown themselves to be surrender monkeys in the face of the slightest bit of pressure or unwilling to push back hard against the feds.
Ahh well why did TSA take over the ID checkers anyway? What was wrong with the contract checkers?
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by pantoot View Post
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:46 pm

Ahh well why did TSA take over the ID checkers anyway? What was wrong with the contract checkers?
Because some *(&%$#@$%*(%$%% ... hat at the TSA thought that people travelling with fake IDs were more of a terrorist than ones who had real IDs. In reality, they're making .... up and pretending to do some real security work to justify their current workforce figures to Congress.
Old Oct 22, 07, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Peetah View Post
Because some *(&%$#@$%*(%$%% ... hat at the TSA thought that people travelling with fake IDs were more of a terrorist than ones who had real IDs. In reality, they're making .... up and pretending to do some real security work to justify their current workforce figures to Congress.
OK, got that. But why do they take longer than the contract workers? It should only take about 30 secs at the most to match the name on the ID to the face, then another add'l 30 secs to scribble the approval mark on the BP.

Airports are a hurried environment- they should know better to make the process faster and more efficient. People are in a hurry, so they should just do what the contractors did; it worked and there weren't any attacks due to false ID's.

I don't really have anything against TSA checking ID's and BP's - no difference to me between TSA and the contractors. However, if they're taking much longer than the previous contractors, then there's a problem here, and the airlines/people should address it as one. Perhaps more workers should be assigned, or they can hire the contractors to check the ID's/BP's as a government employee?

Just some ideas for the pot...

BUT here's an idea- some ID checkers who are TSA could still be fast and contractors who used to man the ID/BP checks were slow-pokes too? Maybe we just saw a few occurences where the ID checker happened to be TSA, and also happened to be slow, and we're blaming them on TSA because they're the "big, bad government and can't do right"? I'm sure people complained about long waits in the ID checking line before TSA took over? Maybe a study should be done for this, or have someone observe and see. When I went to DCA recently, I observed the TSA ID checkers and each person took about 1 minute to get through. It took me about 30sec-1min to get through security with private contractors doing the ID/BP check, depending on the person.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Oct 22, 07 at 5:57 pm
Old Oct 22, 07, 6:00 pm

OK, got that. But why do they take longer than the contract workers? It should only take about 30 secs at the most to match the name on the ID to the face.
Because they're not used to it. Serious. How long does it take a pit boss in Lost Wages (Las Vegas) to determine if your ID is fake or not? Less than a minute. Why? Because he's used to seeing all kinds of IDs fake or genuine and can spot the difference pretty fast.

Police OTOH, have one tool that the average TSA person doesn't have access to -- the NCIC and various databases to verify that the information on the ID is fake or not.
Old Oct 22, 07, 6:05 pm

First of all the line was almost out the door at 4:30 AM.

<SNIP>

Sigh......
Mate, the TSA does have "it" down to a fine science by now...."it", of course, being "the creation of endless lines and passenger annoyance", of course. Didn't you get the memo with their new mission statement?

Search this Thread