Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD TSA at UA in fine form this morning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Everyone is a potential terrorist until TSA says you are not. Welcome to the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. [/sarcasm]
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Everyone is a potential terrorist until TSA says you are not. Welcome to the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. [/sarcasm]
You're either with us, or you're against us, cowboy.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:56 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Well, I've had opposite ends of the spectrum at ORD T1 (UA) this month. Early in the month, I had the two minute drill from a TSA ID checker in the middle of the day. The premium line was backed up into the lobby just before Noon!

Last Wednesday, I was at ORD at 4:30am dreading the worst. That morning's TSA ID checker took a quick look, made a single scribble and moved me on.

So I guess it all depends upon who is doing the looking and scribbling.

Explain to me again how having TSA do this is better? I didn't realize that TSA was hiring experts in every form of ID there is, who are able to spot forgeries without fail.

I guess next month we'll read something about how TSA is demanding that states adopt REAL ID so that the "flying public's safety can be assured by consistent IDs". They will base it upon their extensive time and motion studies and the difficulty that they have ensuring that IDs presented at checkpoints are authentic and that they have discovered X number of "fake IDs" through their new program, blah blah blah...

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop since last week's releases about how many test devices were being missed by TSA at the checkpoints. i was certain that this would lead to bag dumps on a regular basis.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by pantoot
It is much faster to pretend to look at an ID than to pretend that you are really scrutinizing an ID.
Nobody should be checking IDs at all!!!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Spiff
Nobody should be checking IDs at all!!!
Well, then we get back to people flying on tickets in different names. I still remember the university bulletin board with "ticket for male traveler" when you could get away with that. The airlines are probably making a fortune now that unused tickets can't be sold off to a party with a different name. Are you sure they're not an advocate of ID checks?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, then we get back to people flying on tickets in different names. I still remember the university bulletin board with "ticket for male traveler" when you could get away with that. The airlines are probably making a fortune now that unused tickets can't be sold off to a party with a different name. Are you sure they're not an advocate of ID checks?
Let them do it themselves if they are worried about revenue protection.

Someone else can still fly on another's ticket by using a fully refundable ticket in their own name and then flying on another's ticket once they pass "security".
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:16 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The airlines are probably making a fortune now that unused tickets can't be sold off to a party with a different name.
Nothing new, of course. Revenue protection schemes have kept the airlines' coffers padded since long before 9/11, as I'm sure experienced FFers know.

Are you sure they're not an advocate of ID checks?
Of course they are. The myopia here is that the airlines have to deal with the fallout when jammed "security" lines cause pax to miss flights or a/c pushback delays due to gate screening.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I think the term is "guilty until proven innocent"
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:53 am

The airlines are probably making a fortune now that unused tickets can't be sold off to a party with a different name.
All evidence to the contrary (e.g. the bankruptcies of UA, NW, CO, DL, US and other, smaller carriers) notwithstanding?

Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
How do you figure the airlines are profiting from this? Unless I'm missing something they have to deal with figuring out how to get that passenger on another flight. The same number of tickets/seats are sold. They are just screwed up because PAX aren't getting on the flights they booked. In the case of the OP's post I'll bet there were a bunch of empties on the first flights (or the planes left late - throwing off all kinds of things down the line) who would have to be accomodated further on.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:05 am

This morning, I cleared the priority screening line at about the "normal" pace, although things were a bit more frustrating due to strollers and wheelchairs immediately in front of me. The screener did not seem to spend any more time than usual scrutinizing my boarding pass and Illinois driver's license.

However, while waiting in the line, I passed by the "regular" security stop, and witnessed the TSA screener spend what seemed to be an inordinate time looking at a woman's passport. I assume the name on the passport didn't match the boarding pass due to marriage. The screener flipped to the back page, looked at it for a long time, flipped to the front, shuffled to the BP... All without saying a word to the passenger. Fortunately, it didn't delay the passenger since the WTMDs were pretty well backed up.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Peetah
Because they're not used to it. Serious. How long does it take a pit boss in Lost Wages (Las Vegas) to determine if your ID is fake or not? Less than a minute. Why? Because he's used to seeing all kinds of IDs fake or genuine and can spot the difference pretty fast.

Police OTOH, have one tool that the average TSA person doesn't have access to -- the NCIC and various databases to verify that the information on the ID is fake or not.
Differnece though is that it actually matters is an ID is real in Vegas because you have to be a certain age to gamble. You don't need ID to fly, so it's just a waste of time.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by Peetah
Because some *(&%$#@$%*(%$%% ... hat at the TSA thought that people travelling with fake IDs were more of a terrorist than ones who had real IDs. In reality, they're making .... up and pretending to do some real security work to justify their current workforce figures to Congress.

Bingo!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Differnece though is that it actually matters is an ID is real in Vegas because you have to be a certain age to gamble. You don't need ID to fly, so it's just a waste of time.
The other difference is that peace officers must form reasonable grounds to stop and detain an individual and inspect identification if they do not have a warrant. Airport identification checks, conversely, are fishing expeditions that would be unlawful if performed by peace officers and have no real-world effect on security. I'm with Spiff on this one.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
I can't wait for holiday travel to begin and for Ma and Pa Kettle to miss their flights because of this foolishness. If you're on that first flight of the day it doesn't matter how early you get there if they won't open the checkpoint.

I'm thinking the solution for anyone in the know is flying without ID. It sounds like straight to secondary will be quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.