Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NASA buries aviation safety study.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
NASA buries aviation safety study.

Story here: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1274749

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. (AP) - Anxious to avoid upsetting air travelers, NASA is withholding results from an unprecedented national survey of pilots that found safety problems like near collisions and runway interference occur far more frequently than the government previously recognized.

A senior NASA official, associate administrator Thomas S. Luedtke, said revealing the findings could damage the public's confidence in airlines and affect airline profits. Luedtke acknowledged that the survey results "present a comprehensive picture of certain aspects of the U.S. commercial aviation industry."

"Release of the requested data, which are sensitive and safety-related, could materially affect the public confidence in, and the commercial welfare of, the air carriers and general aviation companies whose pilots participated in the survey," Luedtke wrote in a final denial letter to the AP.
At least they didn't trot out the Terrorism word.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
You beat me to it.

Isn't it more frightening that the AP has tried to get the info under the FOIA for the last 14 months and was rebuffed?

Just last week, NASA ordered the contractor that conducted the survey to purge all related data from its computers.

"If the airlines aren't safe I want to know about it," said Rep. Brad Miller, D-N.C., chairman of the House Science and Technology investigations and oversight subcommittee. "I would rather not feel a false sense of security because they don't tell us."

Discussing NASA's decision not to release the survey data, the congressman said: "There is a faint odor about it all."

Officials at the NASA Ames Research Center in California have said they want to publish their own report on the project by year's end.
So we will get the expurgated version because it's for our own good. "You can't handle the truth"
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:06 pm

Not to pile on, but this is another frustrating example of our government systems not being nearly accountable enough to us as citizens.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
thats a b***s*** if you ask me.. everything is about money in the us, and ofcourse every corner of the world, and this issue is a great example, the airliners are scared to loose money and prefer to "lie" to the customers, every citizen has the right to know everything about air safety, and safety in general and money should be the least important in this issue..
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT | HHonors Gold | Starwood Gold*
Thumbs up

I remember posting about a flight I had where another plane seemed to be VERY close to mine and everyone here pretty much called me a liar and made off remarks pertaining to Top Gun and having a wingman. I hope they release the data so I can vindicate myself. I've been saving the "I told you so" for a while. Can't wait to use it

I would definitely like to know the truth. I don't want to have some false sense of security *cough TSA cough*
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:35 pm

I've said many times that there have been incidents that have not been released to the public because it might cause people to not fly.

Many, many FlyerTalkers disagreed with me.

I think this situation, while not proving my point, lends some credence to it.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cali99boy
I remember posting about a flight I had where another plane seemed to be VERY close to mine and everyone here pretty much called me a liar and made off remarks pertaining to Top Gun and having a wingman. I hope they release the data so I can vindicate myself.
That won't help unless the data includes that specific flight. There is a big difference between intentional and unintentional proximity between aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWstu

Isn't it more frightening that the AP has tried to get the info under the FOIA for the last 14 months and was rebuffed?
Yes, it is. Hopefully, the courts will get involved. Some people need to remember who they work for.

Last edited by whirledtraveler; Oct 22, 2007 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:08 pm

As a (small) airplane pilot I'm not to happy with this either. This sort of information can be used to enhance safety. Burying it will maintain the status quo.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this is tied to the ASRS in any way?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
What FOIA exemption could this possibly fall under? Did they make one up?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
I've said many times that there have been incidents that have not been released to the public because it might cause people to not fly.
Anything that improves the odds of my upgrade clearing is jake with me. ^ I'll get on that aircraft regardless.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Originally Posted by amejr999
What FOIA exemption could this possibly fall under? Did they make one up?
Great questions. I'd love to know, too.

Here's one thought that the OP's link cleared up for me:
Although to most people NASA is associated with spaceflight, the agency has a long and storied history of aviation safety research. Its experts study atmospheric science and airplane materials and design, among other areas
I had no idea NASA's mission was still so close its -- or NACA's, actually -- original intent. ^
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
'nuther curious tidbit:

NASA had begun to interview general aviation pilots and initially planned to interview flight attendants, air traffic controllers and mechanics before the survey was halted.
What an avalanche of data that would be.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Supposedly not. This was a separate study that was contracted out in which detailed questions were asked. ASRS is an entirely separate matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.