Old Oct 19, 07, 2:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Senators Grill TSA's Hawley On Security Lapses

A two-Excedrin day over on the Hill for the ol' Kipster >> LINK

GAO Gives Mixed Review On Agency's Effectiveness

[...]

Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) called the air cargo screening situation "a major gap in our system."

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) noted a regulation on screening of workers at overseas aircraft maintenance and repair stations was due by 2004. She asked why there is no sense of urgency, saying it is a disaster waiting to happen.

"There is no rule requiring even background checks," McCaskill said, reports The Nation. "We might as well have terrorists working under the hood of these airplanes."

[...]

Perhaps the most intensive grilling came from West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller... who clearly had Hawley in his crosshairs.

"I am constantly amazed by the asymmetry of all the people getting stopped while going through with their carry-ons," said Rockefeller, who leads the Senate's Intelligence Committee. "Why aren't we looking at checked luggage?"

Hawley replied there was a plan in place to check half of all checked bags within 18 months -- and all such bags by 2011. "Good luck," Rockefeller quipped. "You got a whole list of things to do and I don't believe you can get them done."

Clearly on the defensive, Hawley replied TSA has 120 different tasks before it... and tries "take them all seriously."

Rockefeller remained, as they say, unconvinced.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 19, 07 at 3:09 am
Old Oct 19, 07, 5:47 am
Suspended

While I agree there's a lot more room for improvement, Congress is the last one who should criticize TSA. Congress has repeatedly turned down requests to allocate the appropriate resources to TSA but has not hesitated to increase the scope of TSA's mission. For example, the ticket readers are taken out of hide. There were no additional resources given. Furthermore, "everything" is a priority. For those of you with any management experience (not the pretenders), it's very difficult to get much done without prioritizing effort.
Old Oct 19, 07, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Bart View Post
For example, the ticket readers are taken out of hide. There were no additional resources given.
Do you know where Congress mandated that TSA perform the ID checks?
Old Oct 19, 07, 8:06 am

While I agree there's a lot more room for improvement, Congress is the last one who should criticize TSA. Congress has repeatedly turned down requests to allocate the appropriate resources to TSA but has not hesitated to increase the scope of TSA's mission. For example, the ticket readers are taken out of hide. There were no additional resources given. Furthermore, "everything" is a priority. For those of you with any management experience (not the pretenders), it's very difficult to get much done without prioritizing effort.
Respectfully, what more resources could the TSA possibly require? How many more $millions for lavish receptions at the Grand Hyatt Washington and lifetime achievement awards?

TSA gets disparaged on the hill and on this forum for precisely the same reason: Zero Efficacy.
Old Oct 19, 07, 11:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Baloney.

The TSA squanders its resources harassing passengers with BS "security" practices. Such practices include the Shoe Carnival, Liquid Idiocy, BP/ID checks, and Gate Harassment.

There is no shortage of personnel or funding. Kip Hawley should be caned and terminated.
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're not aware, these hearings coincide with public release of a GAO report/audit. So, for your reading pleasure:

GAO Testimony

Full GAO Report

Hearing Webcast
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
If the TSA has so much on its plate, why is the needless checking of ID so high up on its list? I guess the "for show" stuff is likely to make it look like they're actually doing something.
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
A two-Excedrin day over on the Hill for the ol' Kipster >> LINK
While I like the fact that Kippie has a sharp pain in his behind this week I worry about the fallout for flyers. It seems like every time Kippie and his band of merry morons gets whacked the end result is some new rule (official or otherwise) gets shoved down the line. I'm specifically concerned about the "All electronics out of the bag" fiasco that is happening sporadically at various airports. This would make a great excuse for them to try to push that issue again.....
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good. I'm glad the pols are calling Hawley to the carpet.

ID checks, and these other acronym nonsense program are pure CRAP (Cerebral, Rarely Are Productive) since the TSA has proven over and over and over and over again that they cannot execute their basic, core "competency" of finding prohibited items.

People are starting to realize what a joke we have right now at airport "security" checkpoints.

This is a good day.
Old Oct 19, 07, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Congress vs. Kip? Man, I have no idea who to root for. It's like the Yankees vs. Satan. Bring on the popcorn!

Mike
Old Oct 19, 07, 2:51 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Congress vs. Kip? Man, I have no idea who to root for. It's like the Yankees vs. Satan. Bring on the popcorn!

Mike
Great line.
Old Oct 19, 07, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL PLT 2MM, AA EXPLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post

There is no shortage of personnel or funding. Kip Hawley should be caned and terminated.
Isn't caning a form of torture and an un-American action? And btw, please define "terminated" in this case.
Old Oct 23, 07, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Baloney.

The TSA squanders its resources harassing passengers with BS "security" practices. Such practices include the Shoe Carnival, Liquid Idiocy, BP/ID checks, and Gate Harassment.

Sounds good to me. I would buy a ticket to see it.

Search this Thread