Question about carryon

Old Oct 18, 07, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Question about carryon

Is deoderant considered a liquid? Does it have to go in the quart size bag or can it just go in carry on luggage?
Old Oct 18, 07, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right Guard (any aerosols) are deadly, and yes, are considered a liquid.

Speed Stick is not lethal to humans, so it does not have to go in the baggie.
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Right Guard (any aerosols) are deadly, and yes, are considered a liquid.

Speed Stick is not lethal to humans, so it does not have to go in the baggie.
Unless the magic word SOLID appears on the deodorant, it's considered a "gel" and MUST be in the baggie. Last time I went through with a SOLID one, un-bagged, the machine reader got upset because she could see the loose deodorant, but couldn't read the word SOLID without opening the bag and looking at it (she took my word for it that time after I spoke up after hearing her start to call for a bag check).
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:49 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Unless the magic word SOLID appears on the deodorant, it's considered a "gel" and MUST be in the baggie. Last time I went through with a SOLID one, un-bagged, the machine reader got upset because she could see the loose deodorant, but couldn't read the word SOLID without opening the bag and looking at it (she took my word for it that time after I spoke up after hearing her start to call for a bag check).
I've had this experience, too, where I was chewed out by a screener for NOT baggieing it, and then chewed out by another one for putting it in the baggie.

I've resorted to just placing it in the baggie and being done with it.
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Funnt that the TSA employees here are quick to label us as "whiners" but can't be helpful in these situations.
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
I've had this experience, too, where I was chewed out by a screener for NOT baggieing it, and then chewed out by another one for putting it in the baggie.

I've resorted to just placing it in the baggie and being done with it.
The elevation of form over substance - a favorite tactic of bureacratic functionaries. I'd expect no less from our High Priests in our Temples of Zealotry.

Search this Thread