Ambushed in Frankfurt

Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Executive, BA Blue
Ambushed in Frankfurt

Had a connecting flight into Frankfurt. Purchased a $75 bottle of cologne for my son in duty free. Was then faced with another security checkpoint to get into the Terminal B section with United Airlines flights. It was on Level 2 at a "spur" that has Gates 20-28. The security screener confiscated my cologne even with proof of purchase in the duty free shop, thrust a brochure in German at me, and threw the cologne in a trash can. Has anyone else experienced this before?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was the cologne in a sealed clear plastic bag?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Executive, BA Blue
Was it in a sealed plastic bag?

It was still in its original plastic wrap, unopened. I am thinking now that I should have asked to speak to a supervisor.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving to the TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
rules vary at different airports. I bough a bottle of scotch in Singapore, had it sealed in the plastic bag only to have security at NRT take it from me as I connected there. They told me not all airports abide by the sealed by duty free clause.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
yup most places the reverse holds, AFAIK the sealed duty free exemption is for same day intra-europe connections
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
yup most places the reverse holds, AFAIK the sealed duty free exemption is for same day intra-europe connections
My understanding was that it's for flights departing from EU airports regardless of destination - in other words, as long as the airport from which you depart is within the EU then it doesn't matter what your destination is (but you can't, for example, have your duty-free purchases sealed in AMS, board a flight to the USA and then board another flight there).

For the OP - you mention original packaging, but did you get the shop to put your purchase inside a sealed shopping bag? You can't take duty-free liquids through security, not even in their unopened packaging, unless they are in specially-sealed bag.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is exactly why (outside of tickets) I do not purchase anything at any airport. Worldwide. Period.

Out of an abundance of caution, of course.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
My understanding was that it's for flights departing from EU airports regardless of destination - in other words, as long as the airport from which you depart is within the EU then it doesn't matter what your destination is (but you can't, for example, have your duty-free purchases sealed in AMS, board a flight to the USA and then board another flight there).
This is my understanding as well, but I've been hesitant to test the system.

OTOH, I know they can get a bit heavy handed at FRA.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:56 am

Programs: Advantage, United, Krisflyer, Continental, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai
Originally Posted by upgrade addict
It was still in its original plastic wrap, unopened. I am thinking now that I should have asked to speak to a supervisor.
Just after 9/11 I had a small pair of mustache scissors in my carry-on. Frankfurt security tried to grab it and place it in a bin of about 500 other scissors. As a cutlery collector....these were not ordinary scissors.....they were custom made at a place in Solingen and I was not going to give up so quickly. Twenty minures...a supervisor from security and then a supervisor from AA.......scissors were placed in a box that was returned to me upon landing. I learned a lesson and the scissors were now placed in checked luggage....up until they were stolen and/or misplaced by US TSA in JFK. If you are not late for a flight, the supervisor from the airline would probably have been able to check the cologne for you and return to you on landing. Personally, with the prices in most "duty free" shops....I wouldn't buy anything from them...now this.......a lesson learned.

Last edited by maskedavenger77; Oct 18, 2007 at 3:24 pm
Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I never buy stuff at airports. Even if it is marginally cheaper the hassel caused by so called security is not worth it. PAX should boycott airport shops and I guarantee things would change very quickly as the airports would start to lose serious money. Suddenly purchased items would be "safe" again.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:01 pm

Isn't this peculiar to flights to the US where there are security checks at the gate?

Because intra-EU you are allowed to buy liquids in the airside shops.

Additionally if you then fly to another EU airport to get a connecting flight you can then take that liquid through security as long as it's correctly sealed
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:03 pm

I love EU airside shops. Sort of like a mall that happens to land planes.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
More incentive to not buy airside.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by upgrade addict
Had a connecting flight into Frankfurt. Purchased a $75 bottle of cologne
Why did you purchase a bottle of cologne in Frankfurt?!?!?!? You should've done it in Cologne!

Disclaimer: I hate stupid security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.