Tamales in Carry-on

Old Oct 17, 07, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Tamales in Carry-on

OK - this is one of those "Are you serious?" questions. I have an upcoming trip to McAllen TX, which is home to the best tamales in the country - Delia's. I want to bring a few dozen home and tried before but made the mistake of placing them in my checked bag. As luck would have it, my luggage got delayed (thanks, Continental), and I had to toss five dozen incredible delights.

The tamales are tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and I plan on getting some of the cream cheese variety, hence the post. I understand my mileage may vary, depending on the screeners, but I was wondering if there is a general policy towards foods such as these, especially in a location like McAllen, where surely they must see similar items on a daily bases.
Old Oct 17, 07, 11:12 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
If I was you, this is what I'd do:

Make sure they are cold (as in that the cream cheese won't be "gel"), and wrapped in clear wrap (not Aluminum), and I'd put them in a tupperware box in my carry on.

There's nothing wrong with bringing food on the plane, provided there's no liquid

JP

Originally Posted by vassilipan View Post
OK - this is one of those "Are you serious?" questions. I have an upcoming trip to McAllen TX, which is home to the best tamales in the country - Delia's. I want to bring a few dozen home and tried before but made the mistake of placing them in my checked bag. As luck would have it, my luggage got delayed (thanks, Continental), and I had to toss five dozen incredible delights.

The tamales are tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and I plan on getting some of the cream cheese variety, hence the post. I understand my mileage may vary, depending on the screeners, but I was wondering if there is a general policy towards foods such as these, especially in a location like McAllen, where surely they must see similar items on a daily bases.
Old Oct 17, 07, 11:28 am

Location: Austin. AA PPro; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
I've never seen a cream cheese tamale. Good?
Old Oct 17, 07, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it View Post
I've never seen a cream cheese tamale. Good?
This will be my first time to try them. I've had the chicken, cheese, beef, and sweet varieties. All are to die for.

Search this Thread