FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:36 am
Original Poster

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Checked in last night for my flight today on a A319. Selected 2B and confirmed my check in.

This morning I check my itineraries for a future flight but accidentally take a look at today's flight.

My seat is shown as N/A.

I go to seat assignments and all of 2 and most of 1 is taken, leaving me with a choice of 1A or 1D.

Call 1K and they say they have no record of my seat selection, etc.

I say three words: Federal Air Marshal.

The CSR says yup.

I go on about how I hate those .......s. Etc.... She says that given the fact that they have no control over which flights these guys are on, at least UA should block FAM favorite seats and open them up at the airport if no FAM is on board... this would at least keep us from being so pissed off.

What do you think? Should they automatically block one FAM fav on every flight and release at the gate for non-FAM flown flights?

I wouldn't have been so pissed if it was already occupied.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if we would really want that either, especially on the 737 and 319 where those are the only two non-bulkhead aisle seats. I would much rather have the remote chance of it being "stolen" than not being able to select it at all.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:56 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Moving this to Travel Safety/Security.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
And don't expect UA to do anything that would give a hint as to where a FAM would be seated on a flight. Those in the know may be able to guess, but there is no sense making it easier to figure out, annoying as that may be.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lightman7
And don't expect UA to do anything that would give a hint as to where a FAM would be seated on a flight. Those in the know may be able to guess, but there is no sense making it easier to figure out, annoying as that may be.
Agreed. Terrible as it is, UA probably doesn't want to raise the ire of the DHS by blocking seats preferred by the feds on every flight - even though anyone who frequently sits in F can probably guess who they are and where they prefer to sit.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
Call 1K and they say they have no record of my seat selection, etc.

I say three words: Federal Air Marshal.

The CSR says yup.
Hope that CSR and UA get written up and fined.

I go on about how I hate those .......s. Etc....

They're just doing their job. They're not trying to jack up your day. Just like you do what you're told in your job, so do they.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by law dawg

They're just doing their job. They're not trying to jack up your day. Just like you do what you're told in your job, so do they.
Let them do it in coach.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Why?

It's all too obvious when a passenger is evicted from their selected seat and nothing can restore that seat to that evicted passenger.

We should stop kidding ourselves about government theft - "You Know Who insists on placing a "person for your safety" in seat 2B, enjoy the bulkhead." Nuts to that.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Too bad you did not/were not able to print a boarding pass with 2B on it. Then march on board and tell the useless aircop to get the hell out of your seat.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tazi
Let them do it in coach.
As soon as coach is close to the flight deck, I'm sure they will.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Why?

It's all too obvious when a passenger is evicted from their selected seat and nothing can restore that seat to that evicted passenger.

We should stop kidding ourselves about government theft - "You Know Who insists on placing a "person for your safety" in seat 2B, enjoy the bulkhead." Nuts to that.
And as soon as every other government regulation that costs the airline money is labeled theft as well then I will accept that label for FAMs.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:06 pm

And as soon as every other government regulation that costs the airline money is labeled theft as well then I will accept that label for FAMs.
I labeled the government as thieves, not the air marshals. @:-)
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:09 pm

Yeah... So it's ok for the government to go to Fred's TVs and help themselves to a couple of 50" flat screens whenever they feel like it instead of taxing Fred fairly?

Sounds like organized crime, not good government.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:23 pm

As soon as coach is close to the flight deck, I'm sure they will.
Coach begins with the row behind the seat the security guard took. I think that would have been close enough.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I labeled the government as thieves, not the air marshals. @:-)
And they are thieves in many ways, I guess, with all the safety regs and requirements they have as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.