FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by vassilipan
Then why not put FAMs in uniform?
i asked just that over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669073
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Sorry - I didn't remember your thread when I posted this.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
FAMs fly coach too.
Yes, on WN, commuter planes and off-duty. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I realize that FAM's sometimes fly coach on planes with FC, but given that they need to be close to the flight deck, why should they (unless their fellow FAM's are already in FC)?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Yes, on WN, commuter planes and off-duty. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I realize that FAM's sometimes fly coach on planes with FC, but given that they need to be close to the flight deck, why should they (unless their fellow FAM's are already in FC)?
And F9, Delta Connection, etc.

And, as you noted, when there are already FAM(s) in FC as well.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by vassilipan
Originally Posted by goalie
Sorry - I didn't remember your thread when I posted this.
no worries and please no apology needed at all-can't tell you how many times i've done it
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
Some have argued for it and asked to be placed facing the rear in the FAs jumpseat or in the flight deck itself.
I pray that this could happen.....
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jetboyds
I pray that this could happen.....
Why?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:09 pm

From a revenue perspective for air carriers.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ah good answer
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:06 pm

From a revenue perspective we should also:

eliminate the requirement to carry defibrillators
eliminate mandatory crew rest minimums
eliminate mandated scheduled maintenance
eliminate the requirement for reinforced cockpit doors on new planes
etc, etc. ad nauseum
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:01 am

From a revenue perspective we should also:

eliminate the requirement to carry defibrillators
eliminate mandatory crew rest minimums
eliminate mandated scheduled maintenance
eliminate the requirement for reinforced cockpit doors on new planes
etc, etc. ad nauseum
Happy to carry FAM's, but not at the expense that some seats are costing, especially when downgrading all guests. Some F/C on certain carriers do not have "upgrade" or "FF" customers..there is nobody to move around, and no seats left to put them on during holiday periods. You can imagine the costs, not only in dollars, but in ill-will to the passengers, since nobody can tell them why or explain. It is a PR nightmare, as well as an actual and true dollar cost.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:59 pm

Happy to carry FAM's, but not at the expense that some seats are costing, especially when downgrading all guests. Some F/C on certain carriers do not have "upgrade" or "FF" customers..there is nobody to move around, and no seats left to put them on during holiday periods. You can imagine the costs, not only in dollars, but in ill-will to the passengers, since nobody can tell them why or explain. It is a PR nightmare, as well as an actual and true dollar cost.
While what you say is 100% correct, are not delays due to various FAA regulations also PR nightmares?

I remember one flight where the flight was delayed almost two hours due to "crew rest restrictions" where I thought the pax might burn down the gate area.

Of course, they'd need to have lighters first...

I've also seen equipment delays, maintenance delays, weight restriction delays, etc. where there was a lot of ill will. Why are those acceptable and FAMs not?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:14 pm

While what you say is 100% correct, are not delays due to various FAA regulations also PR nightmares?

I've also seen equipment delays, maintenance delays, weight restriction delays, etc. where there was a lot of ill will. Why are those acceptable and FAMs not?
Because we trust the FAA to get the cost/benefit analysis done better than DHS?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:42 am

I remember one flight where the flight was delayed almost two hours due to "crew rest restrictions" where I thought the pax might burn down the gate area.

Of course, they'd need to have lighters first...

You can tell passengers that it is due to FAA regulations, and even show them. You can't tell them they are being removed because of a FAM.

The airline has to 'make something' up....and although many FF's are obviously aware, those who purchase actual F/C are not used to this. Imagine it's Dec 23rd and suddenly you have no seat, and possibly even a totally different flight because everything is full.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:22 am

You can tell passengers that it is due to FAA regulations, and even show them. You can't tell them they are being removed because of a FAM.

The airline has to 'make something' up....and although many FF's are obviously aware, those who purchase actual F/C are not used to this. Imagine it's Dec 23rd and suddenly you have no seat, and possibly even a totally different flight because everything is full.
This happens all the time without FAMs being the cause, as I understand it. So, you do what you would normally do, no? Don't people "bump" people from FC and the like from time to time? Same thing.

Again, as I understand it. I'm no expert.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.