FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Suspicious Package Found At DTW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/746588-suspicious-package-found-dtw.html)

essxjay Oct 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Suspicious Package Found At DTW

LINK

POSTED: 4:10 pm EDT October 15, 2007
UPDATED: 5:07 pm EDT October 15, 2007

DETROIT -- Detroit Metro Airport officials said they have reopened a security checkpoint after a suspicious package was found Monday afternoon.

Transportation Security Administration said a suspicious package was identified at the passenger checkpoint red No.1 at the McNamara terminal.

The TSA locked down the package inside of the screening machine and called in explosive detectives to dispose of it.

cpx Oct 15, 2007 7:22 pm

wondering if it was somebody's lunch or laundry??? :rolleyes:

Doppy Oct 15, 2007 7:34 pm

Toy hand grenade:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...429/1409/METRO

cpx Oct 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Administration officers detained a suspicious package and the woman in her 70s who was carrying it after the package went through routine screening.

The item was a toy hand grenade.

The package was taken to an undisclosed area near the airport to be destroyed. The woman, whose identity Wintner did not have, was detained.

PatrickHenry1775 Oct 15, 2007 10:05 pm

Perhaps TSA at DTW has found the elusive Norwegian grandmother terrorist.:p

Spiff Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Wile E. Coyote beware! The TSA can sense ACME bomb products because ACME makes its bombs (like the one on the TSA joke sign) and grenades in easy-to-recognize shapes.

Fortunately, terrorists don't know that plastic explosives can be molded into any shape, not just the ones you see in cartoons. :eek:

Flaflyer Oct 16, 2007 7:11 am

How can this be? A hand grenade? The world's most perfect excuse for a terminal dump and NO TERMINAL DUMP? Is not "Failure to Effect a Dump when Presented with the Most Flimsy of Reasons" the only offense for which a TSA employee can be fired? :rolleyes:

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 16, 2007 8:08 am

Here we go again. Sigh.

The stupidity extends beyond the airport. DC cops & Federal security folks shut down about 4 square blocks (9 streets) just south of Dupont Circle during last evenings rush hour. Apparently there was a "ticking" package in a parking garage near the center of the lockdown. It turned out to be nothing of significance.

LessO2 Oct 16, 2007 9:20 am

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think they did the right thing.

IIRC, SOP is to leave the device inside the x-ray to contain an explosion to the immediate area.

If there's anything to complain about, it's the x-ray device's inability to discern between what's real and what's fake.

whatsinyourbag Oct 16, 2007 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 8567378)
How can this be? A hand grenade? The world's most perfect excuse for a terminal dump and NO TERMINAL DUMP? Is not "Failure to Effect a Dump when Presented with the Most Flimsy of Reasons" the only offense for which a TSA employee can be fired? :rolleyes:

Why fire a TSA employee? It is the decision of the Airport Authority Police to evacuate a terminal... :rolleyes:

Spiff Oct 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8568046)

IIRC, SOP is to leave the device inside the x-ray to contain an explosion to the immediate area.

If there's anything to complain about, it's the x-ray device's inability to discern between what's real and what's fake.

This incident simply serves to underscore how ineffective and stupid the TSA is.

The x-ray told the drone that there was a suspicious shape. Wow. Something that was shaped like a grenade caught the attention of the drone.

Meanwhile, plastic explosives can be taken past the checkpoint at will. They're malleable ! Put the bomb in your pants, have a nice day.

Kip Hawley is an Idiot and the TSA should be destroyed.

Bart Oct 17, 2007 4:57 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8568046)

Perhaps you're thinking of the old WWII "pineapple" fragmentation grenade. They would be easily detected on the x-ray machine. However, modern grenades look nothing like the WWII model. The only way to tell the difference is to eyeball it and handle it. And while I've personally eyeballed and handled my fair share of grenades, I'll let some bomb tech or ambitious LEO go ahead and pick it up to see if it's real......after me and my team have moved to the other side of the terminal. :p