Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Not sure is this has been discussed in another forum.

I found this article http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...,00.html?wh=wh extremely interesting and informative on what changes have been implemented to improve aviation and passenger safety and thought FT members would find it informative.

Last edited by Italy98; Oct 15, 2007 at 9:00 am Reason: Corrected link. Thank you Cholula for catching my error :)
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thanks to the OP for starting the thread. Aviation safety is a topic that doesn't get enough play in this forum IMO.

The link above, however, goes to a peripheral story.

This link leads directly to Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:38 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Great read, Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:27 pm

10 crashes

wonder why they didn't mention the AA DC-10 that went down on takeoff at ORD back in '78 or '79? as I recall there was a problem with the engine pylon.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Very interesting.

I'm surprised that they didn't bring up Tenerife
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Very interesting.

Or Sioux City
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Very interesting.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Agree to both of these, although I wonder if it was because neither of these incidents effected significant change in aviation practices?

Wasn't there a mid-air collision over NYC in the 1960s as well?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_New_York_air_disaster
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Agree to both of these, although I wonder if it was because neither of these incidents effected significant change in aviation practices?

Sioux City resulted in recommendations from the NTSB for changes to the architecture of the safety backups and overrides on the hydraulic systems of both the DC-10 and newer A/C designs.

Tenerife is credited (in that Wiki - still looking for independent verification) for leading to standardizing on English with standard phrasing for ATC communications and the initial efforts into Crew Resource Management.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I thought Tenerife would've been a shoo-in, too. Huh.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:14 am

So only US air crashes have changed Aviation?

And where is the BIGGY - 9/11?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by alanR
So only US air crashes have changed Aviation?
Um, that list also included one non-US accident. The last one on the list occurred in Nova Scotia.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Yea, I can't believe that the Tenerife and 9/11 crashed wern't in there! Totally incomplete and bogue list if those aren't in there...
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theblakefish
Yea, I can't believe that the Tenerife and 9/11 crashed wern't in there! Totally incomplete and bogue list if those aren't in there...
I think this is about aircraft accidents rather than acts of terrorism or deliberate acts of sabotage. If you read the article, it's a cause-and-effect relationship between the aircraft accident and what changes resulted.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1988 | MAUI | ALOHA FLIGHT 243
Upgrade: Retiring tin
As Aloha Flight 243, a weary, 19-year-old Boeing 737 on a short hop from Hilo, Hawaii, to Honolulu, leveled off at 24,000 ft., a large section of its fuselage blew off, leaving dozens of passengers riding in the open-air breeze. Miraculously, the rest of the plane held together long enough for the pilots to land safely. Only one person, a flight attendant who was swept out of the plane, was killed.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) blamed a combination of corrosion and widespread fatigue damage, the result of repeated pressurization cycles during the plane's 89,000-plus flights. In response, the FAA began the National Aging Aircraft Research Program in 1991, which tightened inspection and maintenance requirements for high-use and high-cycle aircraft. Post-Aloha, there has been only one American fatigue-related jet accident -- the Sioux City DC-10.
This one hits home for a couple of reasons (bolded sections).

A former contractor of mine from my Air Force days was on this flight with his wife. They were sitting right behind the section that blew off and had just been served drinks by the FA who got sucked out.

I was a program manager for a C-5 modification program. Right after this accident, the FAA and Air Force changed pressure testing requirements from two lifetimes to three lifetimes (1 Lifetime = 30,000 take-offs and landings).

FYI, the section on the B737 that failed was the fuselage section that would be the cargo door on the cargo version of that vintage of B737. Boeing replaced the cargo door with a fixed panel for passenger versions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.