FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/746344-ten-plane-crashes-changed-aviation.html)

Italy98 Oct 15, 2007 6:56 am

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Not sure is this has been discussed in another forum.

I found this article http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...,00.html?wh=wh extremely interesting and informative on what changes have been implemented to improve aviation and passenger safety and thought FT members would find it informative.

Cholula Oct 15, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks to the OP for starting the thread. Aviation safety is a topic that doesn't get enough play in this forum IMO.

The link above, however, goes to a peripheral story.

This link leads directly to Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation.

laguardiaguy Oct 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Great read, Thanks

fortyyearvet Oct 15, 2007 1:27 pm

10 crashes

wonder why they didn't mention the AA DC-10 that went down on takeoff at ORD back in '78 or '79? as I recall there was a problem with the engine pylon.

mikey1003 Oct 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Very interesting.

I'm surprised that they didn't bring up Tenerife

DevilDog438 Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003 (Post 8563892)
Very interesting.

Or Sioux City

tednugent(no relation) Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003 (Post 8563892)
Very interesting.

Originally Posted by DevilDog438 (Post 8563926)

Agree to both of these, although I wonder if it was because neither of these incidents effected significant change in aviation practices?

Wasn't there a mid-air collision over NYC in the 1960s as well?

Xyzzy Oct 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation) (Post 8564128)

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_New_York_air_disaster

DevilDog438 Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation) (Post 8564128)
Agree to both of these, although I wonder if it was because neither of these incidents effected significant change in aviation practices?

Sioux City resulted in recommendations from the NTSB for changes to the architecture of the safety backups and overrides on the hydraulic systems of both the DC-10 and newer A/C designs.

Tenerife is credited (in that Wiki - still looking for independent verification) for leading to standardizing on English with standard phrasing for ATC communications and the initial efforts into Crew Resource Management.

essxjay Oct 15, 2007 4:44 pm

I thought Tenerife would've been a shoo-in, too. Huh.

alanR Oct 16, 2007 11:14 am

So only US air crashes have changed Aviation?

And where is the BIGGY - 9/11?

DevilDog438 Oct 16, 2007 11:56 am

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 8568743)
So only US air crashes have changed Aviation?

Um, that list also included one non-US accident. The last one on the list occurred in Nova Scotia.

theblakefish Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Yea, I can't believe that the Tenerife and 9/11 crashed wern't in there! Totally incomplete and bogue list if those aren't in there...

Bart Oct 17, 2007 6:55 am

Originally Posted by theblakefish (Post 8572302)
Yea, I can't believe that the Tenerife and 9/11 crashed wern't in there! Totally incomplete and bogue list if those aren't in there...

I think this is about aircraft accidents rather than acts of terrorism or deliberate acts of sabotage. If you read the article, it's a cause-and-effect relationship between the aircraft accident and what changes resulted.

FliesWay2Much Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

1988 | MAUI | ALOHA FLIGHT 243
Upgrade: Retiring tin
As Aloha Flight 243, a weary, 19-year-old Boeing 737 on a short hop from Hilo, Hawaii, to Honolulu, leveled off at 24,000 ft., a large section of its fuselage blew off, leaving dozens of passengers riding in the open-air breeze. Miraculously, the rest of the plane held together long enough for the pilots to land safely. Only one person, a flight attendant who was swept out of the plane, was killed.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) blamed a combination of corrosion and widespread fatigue damage, the result of repeated pressurization cycles during the plane's 89,000-plus flights. In response, the FAA began the National Aging Aircraft Research Program in 1991, which tightened inspection and maintenance requirements for high-use and high-cycle aircraft. Post-Aloha, there has been only one American fatigue-related jet accident -- the Sioux City DC-10.

This one hits home for a couple of reasons (bolded sections).

A former contractor of mine from my Air Force days was on this flight with his wife. They were sitting right behind the section that blew off and had just been served drinks by the FA who got sucked out.

I was a program manager for a C-5 modification program. Right after this accident, the FAA and Air Force changed pressure testing requirements from two lifetimes to three lifetimes (1 Lifetime = 30,000 take-offs and landings).

FYI, the section on the B737 that failed was the fuselage section that would be the cargo door on the cargo version of that vintage of B737. Boeing replaced the cargo door with a fixed panel for passenger versions.