Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Which US Airports is still allowed unticketed beyond checkpoint?

Old Oct 15, 07, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward

Hi all,

I'm curious if you want to know which US Airports is still allowed unticketed passengers beyond security checkpoint. After 9/11 now issued only ticketed passengers beyond checkpoint all US Airports. What is reasonable why security is still strict due to 9/11 attacks. I know some of US Airports is allowed beyond checkpoint is DFW, DTW, PIT or else. I'm surely which specifically US airports is still allowed without ticket beyond checkpoint. I know MIA won't letting them go through checkpoint but, It was MIA hotel near concourse E. Why doesn't have approval from TSA wants go through checkpoint without ticket some people who want stay at hotel in MIA. I would recommend to keep security safer.

Otherwise, Do you still even remember which US Airports still only ticketed passengers before 9/11 attacks. Thanks all!
Old Oct 15, 07, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Gold
I fly in and out of PIT quite often and I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I know, unticketed people can't go past the checkpoint.
Old Oct 15, 07, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
You can go past security at any airport with a gate pass from an airline, but it has to be special circumstances. Otherwise no one without a ticket is officially allowed past security in any US airport.
Old Oct 15, 07, 2:18 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
Otherwise no one without a ticket is officially allowed past security in any US airport.
Option 1) Print boarding pass to PDF. Change date in Photoshop. Print hard copy.

Option 2) Buy refundable ticket. Check in and get boarding pass. Clear security. Call and cancel ticket.

With #2, you do have a ticket, albeit one you have no intent of using. With #1, you're just re-using a previously valid ticket.
Old Oct 15, 07, 3:13 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I remember prior to 2001, it was up to each individual airport whether or not to let non-passengers access gate areas. I don't remember too many airports that did not allow it, MIA comes to mind. I am not aware of any US airport now allowing it, you'd have to have a legitimate reason to obtain a gate pass or cheat the system in our brave new world.
Old Oct 15, 07, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
OP, none now without pass or ticket.
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:26 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by horse glasses View Post
I fly in and out of PIT quite often and I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I know, unticketed people can't go past the checkpoint.
Which is why PIT Skymall is dying. That and USAir's reductions.
Old Oct 15, 07, 8:16 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Which is why PIT Skymall is dying. That and USAir's reductions.
Actually, PIT has (had?) a pilot program where those staying in the attached hotel (Hyatt) could go beyond security just to eat/shop.

Ah, here tis:

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/NewsEve...&shortdescp=19

Dated April 17, 2007. Have not heard that they cancelled this.
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyOne View Post
Actually, PIT has (had?) a pilot program where those staying in the attached hotel (Hyatt) could go beyond security just to eat/shop.

Ah, here tis:

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/NewsEve...&shortdescp=19

Dated April 17, 2007. Have not heard that they cancelled this.
Hey that sounds like a pretty good idea actually, since if you were in that hotel, you would have to pretty much go all the way to Robinson to eat/shop.

Search this Thread