TSA greeters looking for arriving pax

Old Oct 15, 07, 12:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alexandria, Va. USA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Posts: 1,492
TSA greeters looking for arriving pax

Saturday evening I was on a NW flight arriving at Dca from Dtw and was surprised to find two TSA guys greeting pax deplaning into the terminal with, "Are you Joe Blow?". (I don't recall the name they were looking for.) This is a first for me. I always think of TSA as looking for "things" at security screening - not people. Any idea why they would be looking for someone at the end of a trip?
Orion is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 2:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 3,930
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Saturday evening I was on a NW flight arriving at Dca from Dtw and was surprised to find two TSA guys greeting pax deplaning into the terminal with, "Are you Joe Blow?". (I don't recall the name they were looking for.) This is a first for me. I always think of TSA as looking for "things" at security screening - not people. Any idea why they would be looking for someone at the end of a trip?
Hmm, strange. If there weren't any police officers, I wouldn't worry. Maybe the guy had went through DCA and lost something at the security checkpoint and they were returning it to him? (The thing he lost it had his flight info on it, possibly, so that's how they knew.)
MrAndy1369 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 3:50 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,386
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Saturday evening I was on a NW flight arriving at Dca from Dtw and was surprised to find two TSA guys greeting pax deplaning into the terminal with, "Are you Joe Blow?". (I don't recall the name they were looking for.) This is a first for me. I always think of TSA as looking for "things" at security screening - not people. Any idea why they would be looking for someone at the end of a trip?
One possibility is that the individual may have been a returning wounded military service person from Iraq or Afghanistan. TSA will assist returning wounded upon arrival to link up with family and/or military officials, as the case may apply, as a courtesy. It's not done for every wounded individual; some politely turn down the service; others have already made arrangements to be met.

Another possibility is that they were there to greet someone from TSA who was either a training attendee or a visiting VIP. Wouldn't be unusual for the FSD to make sure these persons are greeted at the gate.
Bart is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:11 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 576
We have a big VA hospital at our location and assist many vets coming and going. Sometimes it's very hard to control your emotions when helping these young troops. They have sacrificed more than could ever be expected.
tsadude1 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 1:24 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alexandria, Va. USA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Posts: 1,492
There was a soldier in uniform seated next to me in first class. I would like to think that the TSA was there to welcome and assist him.
Orion is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 3:45 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: He who dies with the most miles wins!!
Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,673
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Another possibility is that they were there to greet someone from TSA who was either a training attendee or a visiting VIP. Wouldn't be unusual for the FSD to make sure these persons are greeted at the gate.
My first thought
mikey1003 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In the home of the "brave"?
Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Posts: 3,748
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There was a soldier in uniform seated next to me in first class. I would like to think that the TSA was there to welcome and assist him.
Funny, that's not what I thought the TSA is for. It is certainly not what my "September 11th Security Fee" moneys are intended for. Now if the local airport authority wants to hire LEO's to do this, so be it.

The USO is also an appropriate entity to assist returning soldiers.

If the TSA'holes are doing this on their own time, great, but then they should not be in uniform.

What next? TSA carrying the bags of returning sport teams?
HeHateY is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:37 pm
  #8  
cpx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Funny, that's not what I thought the TSA is for. It is certainly not what my "September 11th Security Fee" moneys are intended for. Now if the local airport authority wants to hire LEO's to do this, so be it.

The USO is also an appropriate entity to assist returning soldiers.

If the TSA'holes are doing this on their own time, great, but then they should not be in uniform.

What next? TSA carrying the bags of returning sport teams?
I do not like TSA any more than you do, but if my tax money is used for such
cause, I have absolutely no objection.

After all that soldier fought for your country.. [whether you approve the
war or not]
cpx is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 7:25 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,386
Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Funny, that's not what I thought the TSA is for. It is certainly not what my "September 11th Security Fee" moneys are intended for. Now if the local airport authority wants to hire LEO's to do this, so be it.

The USO is also an appropriate entity to assist returning soldiers.

If the TSA'holes are doing this on their own time, great, but then they should not be in uniform.

What next? TSA carrying the bags of returning sport teams?
What an empty-headed post. The USO does assist returning soldiers, and many military commands welcome returning service personnel as well. Also, families are on hand to welcome these returning heroes. TSA takes up the slack for those who don't fall under any of these categories. If that's a waste of money, then so be it. What are you going to do about it? I'll tell you: absolutely nothing other than whine about how your little security fee is being wasted with this humanitarian effort. Otherwise, if you were to complain to the news media, write your Congresscritter, or otherwise raise a stink over this, you'd be one very unpopular person on a grand scale.

What next? Spitting on wounded soldiers?
Bart is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 9:29 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
I understand HHY's concern - the TSA's primary mission is to provide airport security. The broadening of its mission beyond security is not wise, even if the cause is noble.

There should be other agencies / groups that I'd gladly support to do the job of supporting returning soldiers, just not the TSA that has a specific purpose.
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Oct 15, 07, 10:52 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: nyc
Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Posts: 13,091
Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Funny, that's not what I thought the TSA is for. It is certainly not what my "September 11th Security Fee" moneys are intended for. Now if the local airport authority wants to hire LEO's to do this, so be it.

The USO is also an appropriate entity to assist returning soldiers.

If the TSA'holes are doing this on their own time, great, but then they should not be in uniform.

What next? TSA carrying the bags of returning sport teams?
Please write your congressperson/Senator or the media if you feel so strongly about this.
Cheers
Howie
stockmanjr is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 12:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 576
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
There should be other agencies / groups that I'd gladly support to do the job of supporting returning soldiers, just not the TSA that has a specific purpose.
I hate to inform you about this, but there is no other support in alot of places. The TSA has thousands of vets and many combat wounded also. I guess you would have to have been there and done that to understand what it's like to need this assistance.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 16, 07 at 3:01 pm Reason: Personal attack removed
tsadude1 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 12:22 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,122
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
There was a soldier in uniform seated next to me in first class. I would like to think that the TSA was there to welcome and assist him.
And if they weren't? Did they ask with a rank, such as Lt. Joe Blow?
Superguy is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 12:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin. AA PPro; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 7,695
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Also, families are on hand to welcome these returning heroes.
I don't get why someone who serves in a war is automatically a "hero."

Set to one side whether you believe the war is appropriate, whether it does anything to "protect" the US, or whether it's a successful war.

What if this "hero" was a line cook stationed in Kuwait? Or an orderly at Ramstein AFB in Germany? Is s/he a "hero" in the same way as someone who leapt onto a grenade to keep innocent civilians from dying could be considered a "hero?"

IMO, automatically calling every soldier in uniform a "hero" devalues the term.

And back OT, I think the TSA should look for terrorists and bombs, not escort soldiers to the baggage claim area.
Mikey likes it is offline  
Old Oct 16, 07, 12:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Posts: 5,486
Originally Posted by cpx View Post
I do not like TSA any more than you do, but if my tax money is used for such cause, I have absolutely no objection.

After all that soldier fought for your country.. [whether you approve the
war or not]
I don't have an objection to this particular use of TSA employees, but I understand cpx's concern: mission creep. Today it's greeting wounded soldiers, tomorrow it's all soldiers, then it's cops, then it's carrying their those peoples' luggage, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Hmm, strange. If there weren't any police officers, I wouldn't worry. Maybe the guy had went through DCA and lost something at the security checkpoint and they were returning it to him? (The thing he lost it had his flight info on it, possibly, so that's how they knew.)
Dream on. I'd be [pleasantly] surprised if they went to my departure gate to return something to me. That, and how would the item get to DTW before the guy?
ralfp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread