FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Got a Swiss Army Knife through security (by accident) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/746260-got-swiss-army-knife-through-security-accident.html)

UNITED959 Oct 14, 07 10:04 pm

Got a Swiss Army Knife through security (by accident)
 
Threw a Swiss Knife in my computer bag because I needed it at work.

Got on the plane yesterday, and while reaching in my bag for a pen, I felt the knife.

It was in the front pocket of my bag. :rolleyes:

graraps Oct 14, 07 10:14 pm

At MAN in April, I forgot to take my 2 cans of energy drink out of my rollaboard.
The terminal was pretty deserted when I got there (understandable since it was lunchtime, the longhauls to Asia had departed, and my flight was leaving at 3ish), and there were 7 security personnel, and not one other passenger being screened.
Waved through without a word...Should have brought some liquid explosives instead... @:-)

obscure2k Oct 14, 07 10:40 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

PhlyingRPh Oct 14, 07 11:39 pm


Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 8560470)
Threw a Swiss Knife in my computer bag because I needed it at work.

Got on the plane yesterday, and while reaching in my bag for a pen, I felt the knife.

It was in the front pocket of my bag. :rolleyes:

I could tell you some stories about knives and the TSA at ORD T1 not catching them...

Ted S Oct 14, 07 11:42 pm


Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 8560756)
I could tell you some stories about knives and the TSA at ORD T1 not catching them...

I'm fairly sure anyone who travels much has brought something through without meaning too and got right by. I've had a small pocket knife and matches. Friend tossed a handful of lighters but missed one. And I've seen god knows how many people with a water bottle not sold in the airport at airports that few people use to transfer through.

flyinbob Oct 15, 07 1:25 am


Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 8560470)
Threw a Swiss Knife in my computer bag because I needed it at work.

Got on the plane yesterday, and while reaching in my bag for a pen, I felt the knife.

It was in the front pocket of my bag. :rolleyes:

Congratulations! ^

You are one of only 98% of all people who take weapons onboard (many deliberately!) who make it past our beloved "security". :rolleyes:

QuantumMeruit Oct 15, 07 10:16 am

I usually have a small bottle of lotion in my laptop bag, which normally goes into checked luggage or my Kip-loc bag when traveling.

This summer, while at a client site, I stuck the bottle in my pocket after using it. When going through security, I was somehow selected for a pat-down (no SSSS, so who knows why). Interestingly, the TSA guy passed over the bottle in my pocket but did not follow up. I wonder if he thought that it was just a really odd shaped wallet or if he didn't care.

Bottom line is, I think th at most all experienced travelers have similar experiences. Unfortunately, "our" perception of this security theater apparently isn't shared by others.

Xyzzy Oct 15, 07 11:01 am

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times (since the liquid stupidity has been in place) that I have cleared airport security checkpoints with a tube of sunscreen in my pocket.

Jaimito Cartero Oct 15, 07 11:05 am

Don't they only catch 10% of the test explosives that they send through? Or at least on the ones they don't get tipped off on.

One of my first jobs, I knew someone who used to be an airport screener (late 70's, early 80's). She said that they'd always get heads up about when a test was coming. So, some things never change.

nsx1164 Jul 22, 08 7:51 pm


Originally Posted by Ted S (Post 8560766)
I've had a small pocket knife and matches. Friend tossed a handful of lighters but missed one.

Like many government actions, some of these are more posturing than any real "value". :rolleyes:

I've taken matches through many times without issues, and always carry a small "swiss card". Found a small butane lighter in my carry-on last year - it had been there for at least 7-8 years, and an untold # of dom/intl flights. Even the toiletry items aren't checked... typically have a few hotel-size items - those don't even go into the quart bag.

Unclear if they are slacking off, or figuring out that the "threat" isn't really worth the effort. Or just don't know.

Spiff Jul 22, 08 8:36 pm

There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
all inside it's so frustrating as I drift from town to town
feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
so I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

So much for the golden future, I can't even start
I've had every promise broken, there's anger in my heart
you don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue
if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing too

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

You don't know what it's like

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

Breaking the law


Judas Priest

ESpen36 Jul 22, 08 10:03 pm

I frequently go through TSA with at least one of the AA amenity kits distributed on international flights. I can't imagine the idea of digging through the kits and pulling out each and every little tube of stuff in them just for the TSA. I figure I'll just play dumb if they say something. But they never have.

Now, once I forgot to discard a water bottle, and they definitely saw it and forced me to surrender it.

FLYINBELLS Jul 22, 08 10:08 pm

Spiff - Metalhead?
 

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 10081682)
There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
all inside it's so frustrating as I drift from town to town
feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
so I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

So much for the golden future, I can't even start
I've had every promise broken, there's anger in my heart
you don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue
if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing too

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

You don't know what it's like

Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Breaking the law, breaking the law

Breaking the law


Judas Priest

OK, Spiff, I looked up your profile.
Tell me you're not a hardrockin' homebrewer!!!!!!!!

I am not a homebrewer, but am a lover of the microbrews and of the Masters of Metal!!!

Spiff rulz!:cool:

Spiff Jul 22, 08 11:58 pm


Originally Posted by FLYINBELLS (Post 10082060)
OK, Spiff, I looked up your profile.
Tell me you're not a hardrockin' homebrewer!!!!!!!!

I am not a homebrewer, but am a lover of the microbrews and of the Masters of Metal!!!

Spiff rulz!:cool:

Truth be told, I love metal among many other types of music (mmmm techno...) and I've seen Judas Priest in concert twice. :)

I'm also a homebrewer. Speciality: porters.

studentff Jul 23, 08 7:23 am


Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 8560470)
Threw a Swiss Knife in my computer bag because I needed it at work.

Got on the plane yesterday, and while reaching in my bag for a pen, I felt the knife.

It was in the front pocket of my bag. :rolleyes:

The small-size "classic" Swiss-Army-knife (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FNFXEK) will also make it through the WTMD in a pocket without alarming.

Small pen-knives are not a threat to aircraft. That said, if you happen to take one with you--accidentally or otherwise--don't make it visible in the airport/aircraft or someone is liable to freak out.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.