Got a Swiss Army Knife through security (by accident)

Old Jul 23, 08, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
I'm fairly sure anyone who travels much has brought something through without meaning too and got right by. I've had a small pocket knife and matches. Friend tossed a handful of lighters but missed one. And I've seen god knows how many people with a water bottle not sold in the airport at airports that few people use to transfer through.
I once got back from a series of several successive plane trips and reached into my bag ... and found my 3" KISS folding knife (the 5510 model) inside.

I had cleared security 2x at IAD, 1x at BKW (with a "random" secondary for being first in line as well as subsequently "alarming" the ETD on my laptop--that's a long story told elsewhere in and of itself), 1x at DCA, and 2x at some West Coast airports (can't recall which off the top of my head).

Only at BKW did I get any extra attention, and even then it was because I was first in line at security (got the "random" grope-down for being prompt ), and because the twit running the ETD didn't know what she was doing (she later accused me of breaking her ETD with my laptop). And even they didn't find the knife, which was right inside a pocket in my laptop bag!

A friend of mine cleared security several times with a folding 5" knife as well ... he'd forgotten it was there, and underwent secondaries & gate screenings several times (at EWR, AHN, and MEM, IIRC) and cleared security at least four times total. They never found that knife.
Old Jul 23, 08, 8:57 am

We went through security and my fiance had forgotten to check his swiss army knife. They stopped him and said "you have a corkscrew in your bag" - notice not knife - corkscrew. Much to his dismay(it was a gift) they pulled the offending corkscrew out of his bag and we were allowed to continue on. I guess they worry about the security of unopened wine bottles on the plane...?
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by RockoHorse View Post
We went through security and my fiance had forgotten to check his swiss army knife. They stopped him and said "you have a corkscrew in your bag" - notice not knife - corkscrew. Much to his dismay(it was a gift) they pulled the offending corkscrew out of his bag and we were allowed to continue on. I guess they worry about the security of unopened wine bottles on the plane...?
FWIW, corkscrews are allowed, at least in TSA jurisdictions:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old Jul 23, 08, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
I have done this several times (accidentally as well).

TSA screening is all for show.
Old Jul 23, 08, 12:21 pm

You aren't the only one....

Its surprising how much they probably would not catch.
Old Jul 23, 08, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Add yourself to the watch list....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: