TSA's 'bright' idea for ID checks @ PHX

Old Oct 13, 07, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
TSA's 'bright' idea for ID checks @ PHX

So, I go up to the AA concourse in Terminal 3 @ PHX yesterday for my flight to find there is 1, yes 1, lone TSA ID checker (his 2 buddies were on the other side of the rope, one seated on a stool @ her very own podium watching the world go by, & the other one just wandering aimlessly), so the line would have backed up anyway, even though it was mid-afternoon on Friday. However, just to slow things down even more, this guy had spiffy little flashlight that he literally had to pick up, turn on, & wave over every BP he was checking, then turn it off & put it down, plus all the other typical rituals that the TSA ID checkers feel the need to do. Good grief!
Old Oct 13, 07, 6:07 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Tax dollars in action
Old Oct 14, 07, 6:32 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Sure it was the BP or the ID?

Phoenix was one of the first airports to change the ID checker from outside person to a TSA person. You also have to remove the ID from a holder, and they shine the flash light at the ID to see the Hologram (making sure it's not fake).

One time I asked the ID checker if he has spotted a fake ID, and he said "not yet, but if I don't do it on EVERYONE, I will get in trouble."
Old Oct 14, 07, 6:50 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by Tucker501 View Post
Phoenix was one of the first airports to change the ID checker from outside person to a TSA person. You also have to remove the ID from a holder, and they shine the flash light at the ID to see the Hologram (making sure it's not fake).

One time I asked the ID checker if he has spotted a fake ID, and he said "not yet, but if I don't do it on EVERYONE, I will get in trouble."
And what if he does spot a fake ID? How will that make flying safer?
Old Oct 14, 07, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton & Hyatt Peon
I'm still missing how this is helping our safety... knowing an ID is real doesn't help if the name on it was falsified, if it belongs to someone else. Being trained on identifying behavior seems a lot more important than knowing how to tell if an ID issued through the mail is any good.
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tucker501 View Post
."Sure it was the BP or the ID?
BP, not ID-I watched this guy up close w/several other people, as well as my own; he was flashing the BP, not the ID.
Old Oct 15, 07, 5:34 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by txrus View Post
BP, not ID-I watched this guy up close w/several other people, as well as my own; he was flashing the BP, not the ID.
What a crock...how about the BPs that I (along with just about every other FTer) print at home? He's not going to find anything there, so what's the point in looking?

Search this Thread