FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   TSA's 'bright' idea for ID checks @ PHX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/745914-tsas-bright-idea-id-checks-phx.html)

txrus Oct 13, 2007 2:28 pm

TSA's 'bright' idea for ID checks @ PHX

So, I go up to the AA concourse in Terminal 3 @ PHX yesterday for my flight to find there is 1, yes 1, lone TSA ID checker (his 2 buddies were on the other side of the rope, one seated on a stool @ her very own podium watching the world go by, & the other one just wandering aimlessly), so the line would have backed up anyway, even though it was mid-afternoon on Friday. However, just to slow things down even more, this guy had spiffy little flashlight that he literally had to pick up, turn on, & wave over every BP he was checking, then turn it off & put it down, plus all the other typical rituals that the TSA ID checkers feel the need to do. Good grief!

coachrowsey Oct 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Tax dollars in action:D

Tucker501 Oct 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Sure it was the BP or the ID?

Phoenix was one of the first airports to change the ID checker from outside person to a TSA person. You also have to remove the ID from a holder, and they shine the flash light at the ID to see the Hologram (making sure it's not fake).

One time I asked the ID checker if he has spotted a fake ID, and he said "not yet, but if I don't do it on EVERYONE, I will get in trouble."

vassilipan Oct 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tucker501 (Post 8559780)
Phoenix was one of the first airports to change the ID checker from outside person to a TSA person. You also have to remove the ID from a holder, and they shine the flash light at the ID to see the Hologram (making sure it's not fake).

One time I asked the ID checker if he has spotted a fake ID, and he said "not yet, but if I don't do it on EVERYONE, I will get in trouble."

And what if he does spot a fake ID? How will that make flying safer?

Ted S Oct 14, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm still missing how this is helping our safety... knowing an ID is real doesn't help if the name on it was falsified, if it belongs to someone else. Being trained on identifying behavior seems a lot more important than knowing how to tell if an ID issued through the mail is any good.

txrus Oct 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tucker501 (Post 8559780)
."Sure it was the BP or the ID?

BP, not ID-I watched this guy up close w/several other people, as well as my own; he was flashing the BP, not the ID.

bankingconsultant Oct 15, 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 8564505)
BP, not ID-I watched this guy up close w/several other people, as well as my own; he was flashing the BP, not the ID.

What a crock...how about the BPs that I (along with just about every other FTer) print at home? He's not going to find anything there, so what's the point in looking?