Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Congressional Committee wants staffers to get shots before traveling to Nascar event

Congressional Committee wants staffers to get shots before traveling to Nascar event

Old Oct 12, 07, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

And this, dear friends, is why Congress will do absolutely NOTHING about the problems with TSA. In the name of "Homeland Security", the Homeland Security committee is suggesting that staffers get immunized before traveling to Nascar events.

Mrs. GHF is greatly amused by this. I, on the other hand, am not - because it proves that the inmates are running the asylum* - and that there will be no improvement if the administration changes party.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...110120099/1001

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...provider=gnews

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/315593.html

*No offense intended to those that are mentally challenged.
Old Oct 12, 07, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
And where do all of us go to get immunized against the cootie-carriers from Capitol Hill?
Old Oct 12, 07, 10:14 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 19, 08 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 12, 07, 11:10 am

Location: Austin. AA PPro; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
Well, NASCAR is the sport of the great unwashed.

And I know that someone is going to try to correct me by talking about all the boomers with $250K RVs who follow NASCAR, but come on.
Old Oct 12, 07, 11:38 am
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
Wow. This is really bizarre on so many levels.

Rep. Robin Hayes, the North Carolina Republican whose district includes Concord, takes exception to the recommendation that staffers be immunized against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria and influenza.
Didn't these people get immunized as kids? Shouldn't that be a prerequisite for employment, if they are so concerned?

According to one House Republican staffer, a check with the physicians office revealed that hepatitis B shots are not even offered to members or staff because it is a sexually transmitted disease.
Not a Dr., but I don't think this is accurate. Hepatitis A, B, and C are blood-borne viruses that can be contracted through incidental contact with infected blood.

"This is not going after NASCAR or people at NASCAR, but to make sure people on the ground are protected at every level," another Democratic staffer added. "We are not going there to ridicule. It's about protection."
I wonder if they require staffers to use condoms too.
Old Oct 12, 07, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it View Post

And I know that someone is going to try to correct me by talking about all the boomers with $250K RVs who follow NASCAR, but come on.

I've never been to a NASCAR race, but I love the sport.

I find your comments to be both insulting and offensive
Old Oct 12, 07, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler View Post
From the Washington Times article:

Hummmm......I wonder what kind of activities the visiting staffers were expecting to engage in during their visit?
EXACTLY! Perhaps my imagination is lacking, but I cannot figure out what combination of behaviors and activities you need to get up to in order to need that combo of vaccinations. You don't need all of that to travel to Africa or India, much less North Carolina!
Old Oct 13, 07, 12:48 am

Note that these recommendations are standard for any child in the US per the CDC: Immunization schedule. For adults it does vary but Hep A is a common traveller's vaccine recommendation and influenza can be beneficial for a lot of individuals. Hep B is usually only recommended for people with medical conditions or work exposure.
Old Oct 13, 07, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Pit View Post

Not a Dr., but I don't think this is accurate. Hepatitis A, B, and C are blood-borne viruses that can be contracted through incidental contact with infected blood.
Hep A can be contracted via contaminated water or food!
Old Oct 13, 07, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it View Post

Apparently you have never been to a NASCAR event. It's drunk and unwashed So what's your point?

Search this Thread