TSA new pat-down from Millimeter Wave

Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Originally Posted by mgilmer
Well I would rather be scanned than patted down by a TSA agent with gloves he just used to fondle his privates with in the bathroom (other thread on this).
That's exactly what Kippie and Company hope the majority of Americans will say. Then, they will never have to address safety issues.
And serves to illustrate an ironic conceptual disconnect of safety from this agency's security function.

The collective security of an aircraft and its pax in the short-term should not come at the expense of the health of those individuals over the long-term. High-altitude flight itself entails a health risk from exposure to radiation for pax and crew near windows. And although that risk is a discretionary one, why entail an additional and highly undesirable risk to the act of air travel if reasonable (not to mention cheaper!) alternatives are available?

Originally Posted by doober
You'll recall that, according to the TSA, there were only a "few" complaints from women being groped three short years ago.
I recall that drama all too well, as well as my own underwire incident at PDX just after the Richard Read "shoe bomb" debacle.

Somehow methinks that if pax are overwhelmingly choosing the backscatter, the TSA would be shouting it from the mountain tops and would not be introducing a new, allegedly less invasive, scanner.
Good point, doober. This reeks of government graft gone amok.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:26 am

I'll be flying to PHX next weekend. Is there something I can use to leave a message for the TSA if I get chosen for this? I'll write something on my chest to the effect of "Not A Terrorist" or something similar. It could be a new addition to the Freedom Baggie messages. Does anyone know of something that would be harmless to me but show up on the monitor screen?

Last edited by rc408; Oct 19, 2007 at 10:14 am Reason: Edited for family viewing
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by mgilmer
Well I would rather be scanned than patted down by a TSA agent with gloves he just used to fondle his privates with in the bathroom (other thread on this).
I'm pretty sure there is a DSM code for this
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cholula
Kinda reminds me of the x-ray machines they were using at almost every shoe store in the 50's to check foot positioning in new shoes.

The x-rays were billed as completely harmless.

It was only many years lateer that a "Whoops, we were wrong . The machines could have exposed kids to a dangerous dose of radiation" caveat was released.

I've thought of that same thing! It was considered to be the latest and greatest thing back in those days but was found to be pretty dangerous years later. Being xrayed and scanned for medical purposes as necessary is one thing but undergoing these on a weekly basis as most frequent fliers will have to do is another story. No telling what the long term effects will be...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You know I didn't search one of new Millimeter Wave. That absolutely I have a video from L3 Communication. It was brand new Millimeter Wave machines. It was 2 second they will scans you whole body. Here's the video that you actually can see them. Sources:

http://www.vividusa.com/products/mmwave2.htm

It was only for in PHX will be testing new Millimeter Wave screening. I'm sure they will done extremely well first time but, I don't know which terminal will be being installed. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.