Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ATA tries to arrest you for using your iPhone in "Airplane Mode"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATA tries to arrest you for using your iPhone in "Airplane Mode"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
I completely disagree. On any given flight, I'll bet you there are several cell phones on for the duration of the flight. Why hasn't anything happened? The probability of the cell phone's transmitted signal's harmonics having enough power to interfere with the avionics is about zero unless one puts the avionics into the near field (1 meter or less from the cell phone).

If those avionics were located in the near field, then either the passenger is someplace they shouldn't be, like in the right seat talking on a cell phone, or the plane was so poorly designed that any electronic use is going to interfere with the avionics, including so-called "approved" electronic devices. These approved devices are all antennas - they may not have been designed as such, but that's exactly what they do. They aren't a problem and neither are cell phones with the avionics in the far field (> 1 meter from the phone).
Spiff, for a cell phone or laptop wifi, is there any difference between "having it on" and "actively using it?"
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Angry Complex systems enter failure modes not anticipated by their designers.

The probability of the cell phone's transmitted signal's harmonics having enough power to interfere with the avionics is about zero...
We are in complete agreement.

When you finish testing all possible aircraft with all possible passenger dispositions with all possible combinations of RF-emitting devices in all electromagnetic environments, I'll be glad to review the results and approve allowing passengers to use anything included in the study.

Until you're done, though, I'd prefer to have the pilot's controls connected to the aerodynamic surfaces by cables and hydraulic lines, thank you very much.

(p.s. The 737 rudder problem was caused by a coincidence of factors that never occurred in testing. Haven't we learned anything?)
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:38 am
Suspended

Inexplicable stuff happens.

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Spiff, for a cell phone or laptop wifi, is there any difference between "having it on" and "actively using it?"
A cell phone contains a receiver, which is activated at various times depending on whether or not it's registered on a cell site. All receivers (except TRF or crystal sets) radiate radio frequency energy - that is, they transmit RF whether they're transmitting information or not. A WiFi connection is also a transceiver. Anything with a logic clock in it is a transmitter.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
There may be, but realize that your cell phone is constantly communicating (or trying to communicate) with cell towers. Leave your phone on for a transcon flight and watch your battery drain quickly even if you're not using it.

If the wifi is on but not being actively used, it's usually still trying to communicate with a router or a repeater, though with far less data.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even ignoring all of the scientific data (which universally confirms that pax electronic devices have no effect on airplane systems), one thing is certain: If there was any real risk that electronic devices could disrupt safe flight, the airlines and the government regulators would simply ban those electronic devices from the cabin.

That neither the airlines nor the regulators have taken such a position is pretty strong evidence the risks are, well, not substantiated.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
We are in complete agreement.

When you finish testing all possible aircraft with all possible passenger dispositions with all possible combinations of RF-emitting devices in all electromagnetic environments, I'll be glad to review the results and approve allowing passengers to use anything included in the study.

Until you're done, though, I'd prefer to have the pilot's controls connected to the aerodynamic surfaces by cables and hydraulic lines, thank you very much.

(p.s. The 737 rudder problem was caused by a coincidence of factors that never occurred in testing. Haven't we learned anything?)
The probability of serving hot drinks during flight causing a pilot to spill a drink and incapacitate themselve or damage the instruments is about zero, but certainly not non-zero. Is there a spilled drink program in the cockpit simulator?

Shall we stop serving hot drinks? Have we learned nothing?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:14 pm
Suspended

my notebook computer has built-in broadband (no need for a PC card with
a little antenna sticking out)

I had once forgotten to turn it off while the plane was somewhere over the
big pond... I immediately turned it off... but continued to use my notebook
for other stuff.

how come no flight attendant has ever bothered me before?

I'm sure my laptop produces more interference than a little iPhone...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, No! Not the Pepsi Syndrome!

The probability of serving hot drinks during flight causing a pilot to spill a drink and incapacitate themselve or damage the instruments is about zero, but certainly not non-zero. Is there a spilled drink program in the cockpit simulator?

Shall we stop serving hot drinks? Have we learned nothing?
The entire transcript! http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78ppepsi.phtml

Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down Cell phones only transmit when you're in a call.

...realize that your cell phone is constantly communicating (or trying to communicate) with cell towers. Leave your phone on for a transcon flight and watch your battery drain quickly even if you're not using it.
When a cell phone isn't registered on a cell site, it is listening every seven seconds for one it can connect with (i.e., receiving). It won't wear down its battery any faster than it does when it's switched on in normal use - typically several hundred hours.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Oct 11, 2007 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by pteron
The problem is (apologies for needing to get technical) that there is no independent electrical ground in an aeroplane in the air. The body of the plane acts as the ground for the electronics, but the phones are inside that ground and so have the potential to modulate it. Rejecting ground interference is a complicated task and one that wasn't necessarily considered back when some of the aeroplanes were designed. You are correct that it is inexcusable for recently designed avionics.
Agreed. Interesting that there seem to be a lot of people posting to this thread, claiming to be electrical engineers or have extensive EE knowledge, who do not understand grounding and proper shielding. Not only were earlier planes not designed to be shielded from internal RF sources (since there were none in 1975), but adding this shielding in would weigh the plane down. Sure, the weight might not be much, but when you're engineering a plane why add extra weight to protect from a problem that does not exist?

Secondly, cellphones can end up putting interference onto a totally different frequency then they operate on. It's called Intermodulation. The mythbusters, though I like their show, could not have possibly tested all the various setups which could result in intermodulation, because they're so specific and unpredictable (unless you want to spend a lot of time doing really tedious mathematical models). For example, in a big auditorium you might get severe intermodulation on a speaker wire, such that you can hear a local radio station. But, if you move the speaker wire three feet to the left, it's whisper quiet.

Finally do you really know for sure that you iPhone doesn't have a bug which causes intermittent transmissions, even while in airplane mode? No, you don't.

In short, sure, the FA was over-reacting. Any actual problem as a result of your iPhone being used at 10,000ft is exceedingly unlikely, but still remotely possible. But given that there's 100 something people on that flight it seems better to play it safe...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Has anyone with a real brain and education been able to conclusively say that even having a phone in non-airplane mode is somehow hazardous? I have an engineering background, and I'm convinced it's just a way to get people to turn off their phones so they're paying attention (theoretically) if something bad happens on takeoff or landing.

My evidence:

1. I have left my phone on countless times - mostly accidentally - and all it does is say "No Service" when we're at altitude. This I know to be because cell tower antennae are aimed at the horizon, not up. I have yet to crash due to my blatant disregard for cell phone safety.

2. Planes (and everything else) are bombarded by radio waves in the EXACT SAME frequencies used by cell phones all the time. These radio waves come from the cell towers, and are a lot more powerful than the dinky 0.6 W max that a handheld phone puts out. If cell phone signals are so dangerous to planes, why don't they declare airports and the surrounding airspace to be cell service-free areas?

Hmm?

This has been pointed out by many for a long time -- if in fact mobiles (I refuse to use this ridiculous term "cell phone") COULD "interfere with navigation" and "cause the plane to crash," it would have happened a long time ago. Have you EVER been on a flight and NOT heard at least two dozen mobiles go off with welcome SMS messages as the plane is landing? At least half the passengers forget to turn them off during flight. Nothing has ever happened because of this.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:59 pm

When a cell phone isn't registered on a cell site, it is listening every ten seconds or so for one it can connect with (i.e., receiving). It won't wear down its battery any faster than it does when it's switched on in normal use - typically several hundred hours.
You may test your hypothesis at your convenience. I have not performed a scientific study, but I have left my phone on accidentally during a long flight and noticed much less battery life after the flight than I would have if I had left it on without using it on the ground.

Here are some other people who have had similar occurances:

no signal at work drains cell phone battery

Several others here

and some more

I do not offer these examples or my own as scientific evidence, nor do I offer my own experience as such. However, these were 3 quick hits using The Google and it seems my experience is hardly an 'anomoly'.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hvatum

Secondly, cellphones can end up putting interference onto a totally different frequency then they operate on. It's called Intermodulation. The mythbusters, though I like their show, could not have possibly tested all the various setups which could result in intermodulation, because they're so specific and unpredictable (unless you want to spend a lot of time doing really tedious mathematical models). For example, in a big auditorium you might get severe intermodulation on a speaker wire, such that you can hear a local radio station. But, if you move the speaker wire three feet to the left, it's whisper quiet.
The power radiated in the harmonics of the cell phone's frequency that correspond to the avionics frequency is practically zero.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When a cell phone isn't registered on a cell site, it is listening every ten seconds or so for one it can connect with (i.e., receiving). It won't wear down its battery any faster than it does when it's switched on in normal use - typically several hundred hours.
Incorrect.

Battery life gets drained dramatically when there is no connection (unless in airplane mode). Its effect to find a cell site sucks the battery life out real fast.

Secondly, many phones are text-enabled and have GPS. They're transmitting signals all the time to maintain communication. How do you think a cell tower knows where you are when someone calls you?

Don't believe me? Put your idle cell phone next to a speaker or microphone and listen to the noise.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
As long as - rightly or wrongly, I'm not taking any position here - cellphone use is prohibited in-flight, allowing cellphones in airplane mode is idiotic. Who - other than the cellphone's user - is in a position to easily verify whether that thing is in airplane mode?! Do you want FAs to stop at each seat and check each cellphone that is being used?

I was recently on an airline that expressly prohibited using cellphones in airplane mode - SunExpress (small airline serving routes mainly between Germany and Turkey, and within Turkey). Their FAs enforced this, too. I think that airline has it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.