Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ATL airport worker's iPod goes up in flames -- worries about being shot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL airport worker's iPod goes up in flames -- worries about being shot

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by wsommerv
Okay, I knew about this one, but it's a little more complicated than just some guy walked out of a door next door to a suspect as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Charles_de_Menezes
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by law dawg
Okay, I knew about this one, but it's a little more complicated than just some guy walked out of a door next door to a suspect as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Charles_de_Menezes
You're right of course. It's much more complicated then most situations. But the complications are mostly on the side of the authorities and the mistaken identification. The question, I believe, was whether someone had been shot for less. And at least in terms of the actions of the victim (leaving house, getting on train, even the getting on and off the bus bit) it would seem to be considerably less then running around while smoking.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:39 pm

You're right of course. It's much more complicated then most situations. But the complications are mostly on the side of the authorities and the mistaken identification. The question, I believe, was whether someone had been shot for less. And at least in terms of the actions of the victim (leaving house, getting on train, even the getting on and off the bus bit) it would seem to be considerably less then running around while smoking.
I don't think this is less at all.

This was one day after the Tube bombing, this guy matched the description of one of the bombers and he was heading to the Tube, where the authorities had been notified he was not to be let onto, due to him being a suspected bomber. He then got on it and the melee ensued.

Was it a bad shoot? Obviously. Was there some stuff behind it other than just guy with a fire in his pants. Yes.

I think nerves would be much more on edge in this situation than a guy with a I-pod aflame. Not justifying it, again, but to compare the two situations you must compare them in their totality.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by law dawg
I don't think this is less at all.

This was one day after the Tube bombing, this guy matched the description of one of the bombers and he was heading to the Tube, where the authorities had been notified he was not to be let onto, due to him being a suspected bomber. He then got on it and the melee ensued.

Was it a bad shoot? Obviously. Was there some stuff behind it other than just guy with a fire in his pants. Yes.

I think nerves would be much more on edge in this situation than a guy with a I-pod aflame. Not justifying it, again, but to compare the two situations you must compare them in their totality.
These are good points, but they are still all just influences on the authorities. In other words the complications that led to the shooting, while explainable, and possibly even understandable, were external to the guy who simply left his apartment and went off to his job. My point is just that the actions of the victim (and not the complications, misunderstandings, possible tensions) were less.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:37 pm

These are good points, but they are still all just influences on the authorities. In other words the complications that led to the shooting, while explainable, and possibly even understandable, were external to the guy who simply left his apartment and went off to his job. My point is just that the actions of the victim (and not the complications, misunderstandings, possible tensions) were less.
I can see your points.

At the end of the day it comes down to the totality of the circumstances.

If a guy's I-pod starts smoking in his pocket in a terminal on a normal day it's much less likely to be a problem than, say, a day after a suicide attack in an airport terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.