FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Anybody still seeing "go back to the end of the line" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/744022-anybody-still-seeing-go-back-end-line.html)

red456 Oct 8, 2007 6:01 am

Anybody still seeing "go back to the end of the line"

Having given up air travel to travel by car, I've not been to an airport recently. I was wondering if the "surrender your liquids or go to the end of the line to be rescreened" policy is still in practice. Also, are you removing your freedom baggie or are they getting through unchecked?

I ask as a friend very reluctantly flew to Seattle last week and got through security on both flights without removing the baggie. In fact, she alleges she also had a couple of bottles free in her suitcase which were never seen.

polonius Oct 8, 2007 6:40 am

I have ignored the baggie/100ml rule from the start. I carry several liquids/gels in my laptop bag -- usually a tube of toothpaste, often some nasal spray or eye drops, ink cartridges etc. I've never had security question or harass me about them, and that's including during my visit to the USA a couple of months ago where, as usual, I was SSSSed and made a point of harassing the agents in return. As usual, they detained me and threatened me with arrest, but didn't bother me about my liquids not being carried properly.

That said, on flying from Mexico to Budapest via FRA with 3 very expensive bottles of tequila a little while ago, authorities at FRA gave me two options:

1) Exit through immigration, go to LH check in and check the tequila, which would mean missing my flight, and because I was travelling on a discount fare, go and buy a new (€330) ticket to BUD

2) Surrender the tequila

B¤#+!rds!

Apparently this is because you cannot change planes with liquids, even those purchased past security at your originating airport. If FRA had been my final destination -- no problem. If I had checked in Mexico -- no problem, but I couldn't change planes with them.

bdschobel Oct 8, 2007 12:51 pm

I leave my Kip baggie in my carry-on and have had almost no problems doing that. No one has tried to send me to the back of the line.

Bruce

exerda Oct 8, 2007 1:02 pm

I have heard the threat recently at various airports, but have not seen it put into practice. In fact, I've seen the TSA pulling items not in the kippie zippie out and asking, "Whose is this?" and then simply saying it needs to be in the baggie or dumped, not forcing the pax to the back of the line.

SDF_Traveler Oct 9, 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by polonius (Post 8526446)
I have ignored the baggie/100ml rule from the start. I carry several liquids/gels in my laptop bag -- usually a tube of toothpaste, often some nasal spray or eye drops, ink cartridges etc. I've never had security question or harass me about them, and that's including during my visit to the USA a couple of months ago where, as usual, I was SSSSed and made a point of harassing the agents in return. As usual, they detained me and threatened me with arrest, but didn't bother me about my liquids not being carried properly.

As far as always being SSSS'd, how do you go about buying your tix?

I see you're based in Doha? FWIW, I've heard part of the 'SSSSelection' criteria is where your tickets are puchased and form of payment. Curious if you had the tix purchased back in Qatar and that may be flagging you?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your "dangerous" Tequilla flying MEX-FRA-BUD. I've heard mixed things about taking duty-free liquor through EU transit airports, but haven't tested the waters out of fear of confiscation.

JimJ321 Oct 9, 2007 7:01 am

Never heard anyone being sent to the back of the line...usually just them saying you need to toss something or offering you a bag to put it in. I fly domestically for the most part though, so I am sure international is a whole other ball game.
As for the tequilla, I brought back 2 L of whiskey from Ireland last fall (after the liquid advisory) and had no problem. Was it a matter of being over the 2 L alcohol customs rules or just becuase it was liquid?

osxanalyst Oct 9, 2007 7:06 am

IF this ever happens to you, just throw the TSA's "passengers must complete the screening once started" rule back at them.

polonius Oct 9, 2007 7:56 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler (Post 8532409)
As far as always being SSSS'd, how do you go about buying your tix?

I see you're based in Doha? FWIW, I've heard part of the 'SSSSelection' criteria is where your tickets are puchased and form of payment. Curious if you had the tix purchased back in Qatar and that may be flagging you?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your "dangerous" Tequilla flying MEX-FRA-BUD. I've heard mixed things about taking duty-free liquor through EU transit airports, but haven't tested the waters out of fear of confiscation.

That particular ticket I bought on-line from travelocity.co.uk. I did it from a computer in Dubai, but I highly doubt travelocity is passing on ip address info to the TSA. Other tickets I've travelled to the USA with were purchased direct from SAS in Stockholm, from a travel agent in Guadeloupe, and again, on-line in the USA. They've been paid for with cash and with credit, they have been one way and return, no real pattern that I can try to connect with the SSSS thing. What really irritates me is that of course you cannot get SSSSed on your way INTO the USA, only on the way out. So as I always point out to them, I got on the plane without special inspection on the way HERE, so if the standard inspection is not adequate to detect explosives, wouldn't I have ALREADY blown up the plane if that was my intent?

What I understand about transferring in the EU is that if you orginate in the EU, and change planes in the EU, they can provide duty free items in bags with tamper-evident seals, and as long as you keep them sealed it's fine. But things originating from outside the EU need to be in checked luggage. I just wish the H*%LL the Mexicans had told me that -- I easily could have checked them there in Mexico City.

Global_Hi_Flyer Oct 9, 2007 8:18 am

I've seen the 'back of the line' done at the NW/YX terminal at DCA.

whirledtraveler Oct 9, 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by osxanalyst (Post 8532455)
IF this ever happens to you, just throw the TSA's "passengers must complete the screening once started" rule back at them.

Anyone know how well that works?

osxanalyst Oct 9, 2007 10:07 am

it would certainly throw them for a loop.

ERROR -- must comply -- conflicting rules --- ERROR --

exerda Oct 9, 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by osxanalyst (Post 8532455)

I suspect you'll get the, "Sir, the rules have changed," bit. I know that's what the TSA has used with me any time I pointed out their ignoring some rule (like the shoe profile when you could still keep your shoes on).

Although since the "complete the screening" bit comes from a court ruling, it's a bit more public than the typical "SSI" bullcrap and thus may be harder for them to weasel out of.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 8532724)
I've seen the 'back of the line' done at the NW/YX terminal at DCA.

I've heard it threatened at DCA at the US Shuttle pier checkpoint (the one way down at the end of the concourse), but didn't actually see them forcing anyone to the back of the long line.

stc Oct 9, 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 8528275)
I have heard the threat recently at various airports, but have not seen it put into practice. In fact, I've seen the TSA pulling items not in the kippie zippie out and asking, "Whose is this?" and then simply saying it needs to be in the baggie or dumped, not forcing the pax to the back of the line.

Frankly those are the sort of passengers who probably should be forced to go to the end of the line. I was about 6 people behind someone in the expedited (first / business / aadvantage) line at American Boston Terminal B yesterday evening and first he had to be told to take his laptop out of this bag and then they held up the line for him while he looked for a baggie to put all of his things that should have been in a baggie in the baggie. I assume he was flying first / business class or otherwise got into the expedited line, but he was really slowing things down.

exerda Oct 9, 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 8533396)
Frankly those are the sort of passengers who probably should be forced to go to the end of the line. I was about 6 people behind someone in the expedited (first / business / aadvantage) line at American Boston Terminal B yesterday evening and first he had to be told to take his laptop out of this bag and then they held up the line for him while he looked for a baggie to put all of his things that should have been in a baggie in the baggie. I assume he was flying first / business class or otherwise got into the expedited line, but he was really slowing things down.

Sending people to the end of the line, though, really does nothing to improve that situation. It's a passive-aggressive bully tactic by the TSA, and will only increase animosity from the people so targeted, and will slow things down for the people who queue up in line after them (since it adds to the # of people waiting to be screened).

Much better handling would be to point out to the pax that they aren't doing things right and allow them to fix it right then and there. 99% are honest mistakes or people who fly very infrequently anyway, so bullying them really doesn't help "correct" the problem in the long run.

Superguy Oct 9, 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 8533396)

Or how about realizing that this whole liquid and baggie carnival is a farce does nothing to enhance our security and put an end to it. @:-)