Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I failed to surrender my I-94 when leaving the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi there!

I am a UK citizen studying in Canada for 4 months. I just returned from a visit to New York for three days...an awesome city which I really enjoyed!

Yet on arriving back in Canada and checking my passport, I found that I had forgot to surrender my I-94W.

Will I still be able to enter the USA again under the visa wavier program? (I hope to go to the USA in the next couple of months in order to see some long lost relatives)

Will I need proof to show the immigration official that I have left the USA?

Or will I now need a visa to enter the USA as I have used my 'single entry and exit waver to the USA' (according to the local General Consulate official).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Am I really in big trouble?

Please Help!

Thanks, Jason
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The visa waiver allows you quite a long stay. If you just returned to Canada within the last few days you have not overstayed and have nothing to worry about. So that you do not have problems in the future, you should definitely return the form. It should be sent here:

ACS - USCIS, SBU
P.O Box 7125
London KY 40742-7125
USA

For complete details, see this web page:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/cbp/i94.html

Upon your next arrival in the USA you can again apply for a visa waiver. There is no limit.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The outbound airline has failed to take mine on more than one occasion. I simply retain the boarding card with the form (but detach the form from my passport). Next time in I always have the form and the boarding card accessible in case of any problem, but it has never been mentioned and I have never offered them. Once you've been admitted again you can throw the previous form away.

Big Brother's systems aren't quite as good as he would like them to be...
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's been reported here that US BICE officers have asked people about missing I-94 stubs several trips later. Be careful! Big Brother's system may in fact not be too good. That is why you should do your best to ensure it has the proper data for your visits.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I would not dream of throwing I94s into the bin just because you got in the next time. CBP systems might be ancient but they catch up after couple of years. The frontline is looking for excuses to send you back and unreturned I94 could be the best excuse. (no proof of exit).
Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I would not dream of throwing I94s into the bin just because you got in the next time. CBP systems might be ancient but they catch up after couple of years. The frontline is looking for excuses to send you back and unreturned I94 could be the best excuse. (no proof of exit).
That's why it can be good to get a passport stamp sometimes or keep an old boarding pass.

As you said, sometimes they do catch up, long after several entries into the country.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Return the I-94 to the USCIS, do not toss it.

Did you exit using the US visit system?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by colpuck
Return the I-94 to the USCIS, do not toss it.

Did you exit using the US visit system?

I thought that had been discontinued, certainly didnt see it when i left DFW 10 days ago.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:07 pm

The VWP is valid for 90 days from the first date of entry.

If you are going to visit the US (and leave) before those 90 days are up then there is no problem, just ensure you give it up when you leave the US.

If you aren't then post it to the address given earlier
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It's funny how some airlines fail to take the I-94 on the way out, but they try to steal my MULTIPLE ENTRY I-94 on my passport when I go to other countries. ARGH they drive me crazy!

JP
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks for all your help. Seems as though it is not too difficult to rectify problem. Thankyou all very much.^

Originally Posted by Jason695
Hi there!

I am a UK citizen studying in Canada for 4 months. I just returned from a visit to New York for three days...an awesome city which I really enjoyed!

Yet on arriving back in Canada and checking my passport, I found that I had forgot to surrender my I-94W.

Will I still be able to enter the USA again under the visa wavier program? (I hope to go to the USA in the next couple of months in order to see some long lost relatives)

Will I need proof to show the immigration official that I have left the USA?

Or will I now need a visa to enter the USA as I have used my 'single entry and exit waver to the USA' (according to the local General Consulate official).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Am I really in big trouble?

Please Help!

Thanks, Jason
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Much more detailed info at

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs....i=&p_topview=1

Bottom line, be sure to send it back to CBP asap along with documentation of you leaving the US.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Be sure to keep a copy of all documents you send them in case anything is lost.

Additionally, send it by Certified or Registered Post as you will want a record that they received it.

It is best to CYA to ensure you don't have a problem later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.