Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Engine fire/emergency landing at STL 28 Sep 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine fire/emergency landing at STL 28 Sep 2007

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
ooh, um...since we're going the 'legal' route, I better post my 'facts'

Accidents involving Passenger Fatalities - US Airlines (part121)

Fatality Analysis Reporting System (Motor Vehicle Fatal Crashes)

Did you Know?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by PresRDC
With all due respect, you really should quit while you still might enjoy some credibility. You're argument lacks factual support and you are arguing with a few industry insiders who actually do know what they are talking about.

The same ones that SWORE up and down there was nothing at all wrong with the DC-10 after the first couple of catastophic events with it, right?

Of course, we all know they eventually had to pony up major redesigns to fix it
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
[QUOTE=LarryJ;8483671]After looking at this table, http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm, I'm kinda wondering exactly which aircraft types you'd feel safe flying on?QUOTE]

Of course, that doesn't include the most serious, recent crash
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bspencerco
The same ones that SWORE up and down there was nothing at all wrong with the DC-10 after the first couple of catastophic events with it, right?

Of course, we all know they eventually had to pony up major redesigns to fix it
How many years after the DC-10 entered service did that happen? How many years has the MD-80 been in service?

Apples and oranges.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
[QUOTE=bspencerco;8486663]
Originally Posted by LarryJ
After looking at this table, http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm, I'm kinda wondering exactly which aircraft types you'd feel safe flying on?QUOTE]

Explain exactly how that one was due to the fault of the aircraft?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
The Golden Age of Safety

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/bu...safety.html?hp
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
[QUOTE=bspencerco;8486663

Of course, that doesn't include the most serious, recent crash[/QUOTE]

Which I presume you mean ...

Originally Posted by bspencerco
16 September 2007; One-Two-Go Airlines MD82; Phuket, Thailand: The aircraft was on a scheduled domestic flight from Bangkok (DMK) to Phuket (HKT). After landing, the aircraft skidded off the runway, impacted several trees, and caught fire. There was reportedly heavy rain and poor visibility at the time of the crash. There were at least 89 deaths, including 85 of the 123 passengers and five of the seven crew members.
I found this description of the accident on the web ...

The causes of the accident are unknown yet. While the plane was on final approach, the control tower warned the crew of a treacherous wind shear at the airport, but the pilot decided to land anyway. The wind-shear (sudden change in wind direction that can destabilize a plane) had probably caused the aircraft to dive and hit the runway. Then, heavy rains could have contributed to the plane skidding off the runway. The pilot had reportedly asked to abandon the landing and circle around again because he could not see the runway, but the plane was already too low.

http://www.1001crash.com/index-page-...2-crash-1.html

I can't how reliable this report is and will await the NTSB report for final determinations but it does make sense (I've gone through an aircraft safety officer course and handled a number of aircraft accident investigations) but this initial report reeks of pilot error and poor crew resource management - not an aircraft problem.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

Which was most likely due to pilot error. The other two lost-life incidents I can recall in recent times weren't due to the fault of the aircraft or its design. The AA incident in Little Rock was pilot error and the Alaska incident off the coast of CA was the result of improper maintenance practices.

The fact is, is that the DC9/MD80 is one of the safest aircraft in the world and they're built like tanks. There's a reason it has one of the longest cycle-lifetimes of any aircraft in existance, hence why you see NW still flying DC9s that are nearing 40 years old. They simply don't build aircraft like Douglas did, anymore.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
And how foolish to associate hitting another plane on the runway, sliding off the runway in the rain, etc. with the aircraft itself.

By similarly inappropriately applied logic, the 737 is MUCH MORE dangerous. 100% of Southwest's fatal accidents have involved 737s. None of Southwest's fatal accidents have involved MD80s - of ANY variant.

-----Burton

Maybe Southwest should share their secret to keeping the MD80 safe
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread has little to do with American Airlines / the AAdvantage miles program, so it will fly off to a more appropriate forum for discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.