Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shake Your Booties: New Rule in New York?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:26 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Shake Your Booties: New Rule in New York?

After the aircraft on which I returned from Bucharest on a flight greater than nine hours sat on the tarmac at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York for an additional hour waiting to pull into a gate, I went through United States customs and then proceeded to the security checkpoint.

As I usually do, I took off my shoes and put on booties so as to not walk on the dirty floors when going through security.

After I went through, I was ordered by Transportation Security Administration personnel to remove my booties and throw them away into a bin.

Puzzled, I asked by repeating what he said. “You want me to take off my booties and throw them away permanently?”

“Yes”.

I did not understand why I had to do this, but I was ready to comply. By this time, my belongings were screened, including my shoes.

“Could you please get me my shoes before I take off my booties”, I asked.

“No. You must remove your booties before proceeding.”

I continued to be puzzled and explained, “But that defeats the whole purpose of putting the booties on. Had I known about this rule, I would not have put the booties on in the first place.” I would have changed my socks to a clean pair after passing through the security checkpoint instead, which is more of an inconvenience but still doable.

“That’s the rules”, he replied curtly.

“Can you please tell me why?!?”

“Those are the rules”, he reiterated.

“Well, that ain’t happening because that makes absolutely no sense. I want to speak to a supervisor, please.”

The supervisor, who was right there on the other side of the machine that screens one’s personal belongings, replied that I can have my shoes delivered to me before I proceed.

I stood there for at least two minutes before someone finally walked the six steps to get me my shoes. I removed my booties, put on my shoes, received the requisite secondary screening for speaking up, and then rushed to catch my next flight to Atlanta.

When I finally boarded the aircraft, I was wondering: why did I need to remove my booties and dispose of them? Is this a new rule throughout the United States, in New York only, or at select airports throughout the United States?

I was admittedly in a hurry to catch my next flight, but I did not recall seeing any signs or indications about this new “rule”. I still do not understand why I was ordered to remove my booties and dispose of them.

With as much disdain as I have for the rules that are currently in place regarding security at airports, I try to follow them, but it is increasingly difficult to do so when the rules keep changing, especially when the changes seem to be random and make no sense.

Could someone please enlighten me?

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 26, 2007 at 8:32 am
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:06 am

There is anecdotal evidence that if you wear booties through the WTMD, then you will have to dispose of them prior to leaving the checkpoint. However, you should not be required to do so prior to receipt of your shoes from the x-ray.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND Sol
There is anecdotal evidence that if you wear booties through the WTMD, then you will have to dispose of them prior to leaving the checkpoint.
Why?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You ask why?

Those booties could be a WMD. You silly foolish sheep!

We have done those silly little airplane slipper things. They no longer allow that, unless you want to dispose of them after wearing them through.

BUT - you can wear big ole heavy socks.

Logic - does not exist here.

Again, I am so glad that Richard the Idiot did not try to stick a bomb up his butt. Then again, maybe it would have been better.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I don't get it. If the booties are your property, you should be able to keep them, possibly even reuse them. Are these your booties or airport supplied booties?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It's the TSA. There are no rules. Being at JFK doesn't help.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We have done those silly little airplane slipper things. They no longer allow that, unless you want to dispose of them after wearing them through.
As I said, this makes absolutely no sense if they intend to force you to first dispose of them and then walk to retrieve your shoes. The whole purpose of using the booties in the first place is defeated in this scenario.
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I don't get it. If the booties are your property, you should be able to keep them, possibly even reuse them. Are these your booties or airport supplied booties?
They were airport-supplied booties that I re-used at many different airports around the country.

It was a convenient way of complying with the rule of removing one’s shoes, a rule with which I have always disagreed.

I would have considered buying my own to replace them, but not with this “rule” in place.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Why?
The "logic" is that all footwear (which does not include socks) has to be screened to enter airside. Since the booties have not been x-rayed, they have not been screened and therefore must disposed of in the screening checkpoint so that they do not enter the sterile area. And least that is my understanding of the TSA's reasoning.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Maybe the TSA is going to reuse them.

Mike
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Why?
Dems the rules Bub!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:58 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
The "logic" is that all footwear (which does not include socks) has to be screened to enter airside. Since the booties have not been x-rayed, they have not been screened and therefore must disposed of in the screening checkpoint so that they do not enter the sterile area. And least that is my understanding of the TSA's reasoning.
Why: the question only terrorists ask.

Why are socks not footwear? Socks are something you wear on your feet. Booties basically loose fitting socks made of specific materials.

The real question is why are we sheep allowed to wear socks through the WTMD? This reduces the value of Kip's investments in Schering-Plough (Tinactin) and Bayer (Cipro to treat infected feet/diabetes).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:21 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Well summarized.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Maybe the TSA is going to reuse them.

Mike
Dang,you caught on. They are collected and shipped to smaller airports. The only real reason that I can give is that maybe the aviation authority there is complaining about the booties being left all over and making the airport un-sightly.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsadude1
The only real reason that I can give is that maybe the aviation authority there is complaining about the booties being left all over and making the airport un-sightly.
Huh?

I clearly and specifically said that I wanted to keep them but they adamantly refused to allow me to do so.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
X-Raying booties? That brings TSA's idiocy to a whole new level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.