Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your right to fly without ID (proof at last)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by oneant
You know why El Al has never had a terrorist attack? Stringent security.
El Al has certainly had attacks.
It's one hell of a stretch to parlay that into "randomly" stopping people to check ID. Airport security is not random; everyone is checked.

If what was said about a person refusing to show their ID not causing even more security delays is true, then protest your hearts out. But the moment that person adds to the aggravation we already face, I have a problem.
So your solution to the problem is to just give in to whatever methods/procedures the TSA deems necessary so we can just get through the process faster?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
You must not have read through those. None of them are like what happened on 9/11, or PanAm over Lockerbie, etc.

So your solution to the problem is to just give in to whatever methods/procedures the TSA deems necessary so we can just get through the process faster?
Now, is that what I said? No. This discussion is about checking ID's at airport security. I have no problem with that.

If you want my opinion as to the "...whatever methods/procedures the TSA deems necessary..." and other hypothetical security measures the future might bring, ask me. But don't assume you know it.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
You're not going to get the rules changed by not showing ID at the airport; you're just making the screening process longer for the rest of us. Find a more productive way to show your disdain that might actually do some good.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
You're not going to get the rules changed by not showing ID at the airport; you're just making the screening process longer for the rest of us. Find a more productive way to show your disdain that might actually do some good.
I suppose that you would have suggested that Rosa Parks start a letter writing campaign rather than refuse to give up her seat near the front of the bus and waste the time of the other passengers.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:51 pm

I suppose that you would have suggested that Rosa Parks start a letter writing campaign rather than refuse to give up her seat near the front of the bus and waste the time of the other passengers.
I hardly think this compares to the civil rights movement.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgrin
Refusing to show ID does not make you a freedom fighter, a defender of the constitution or a hero. It does however prove that you are a pain in the ...
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. @:-)

Let's look at it another way. The more time TSA spends on activities that don't contribute to security, the less time they can spend on activities that might actually make us safer.

Every sunscreen tube they confiscate is one more distraction that might allow a real threat through the checkpoint. We know the TSA already has a dismal failure rate at detecting test articles.

So, in this case, defending our civil liberties actually contributes to our security. Assuming, of course, that anyone at the TSA actually cares about security.

Last edited by birdstrike; Sep 6, 2007 at 7:01 pm
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:02 pm

Now that you have tht letter, be ready for the TSA to say something to the effect that it is a forged letter and still want you to produce ID.

Hopefully you'll make copies and keep the orginial
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by jwillett13
Now that you have tht letter, be ready for the TSA to say something to the effect that it is a forged letter and still want you to produce ID.

Hopefully you'll make copies and keep the orginial
Why don't you just say you don't have any I.D and be done with it... whenever anyone can't produce I.D we just make'm selectees and that's that...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by pgrin
When approaching a security check point at an airport please have your boarding pass in one hand and your driver's license, passport or military ID in the other hand. If you do not have or refuse to show one of these, please do all of us normal people a favor and stay home.
Refusing to show ID does not make you a freedom fighter, a defender of the constitution or a hero. It does however prove that you are a pain in the ... who will just hold up the line for the rest of us.
Pgrin
ID does not = security. Here in the United States, if someone wants to make a domestic flight without having to produce photo ID, that is their right. They're not being "heros", "freedom fighters", etc -- they're merely excersising their right to travel without having to produce ID.

In the above message, you are expressing your right to free speech (ok, technically this is a privately owned site and there are simple rules to be followed). You excersise your right, others excersise their rights.

Did you know there are still countries where airport security doesn't care about ID's? In fact, there are airports (outside of the USA) where anyone can go through security and enter the passenger terminal .. passengers, meeters, greeters, etc.

No boarding pass is needed at the security checkpoint, there is no shoe removal, and overall commercial aviation is much more civilised than it is in the United States. There is no yelling or barking of orders at the security checkpoints; passengers are treated with respect, checked luggage is screened for explosives (and can be locked), and ETD screenings are also conducted at the checkpoints. Security is above and beyond international standards at these airports -- and on some flights, you might just get a hot meal at meal time, even in economy.

Did you know there are also airports and commercial flights (in western, modern nations) where you don't even have to go through security? I've been on such commercial flights where no security is involved. These are on known, established, commercial airlines.

Other nations are able to manage without a big security 'theatre' -- I see no valid (security) reasons preventing the USA from adopting sensible security too. The only thing I see is politics, fearmongering, and lots o' jobs.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. @:-)

Let's look at it another way. The more time TSA spends on activities that don't contribute to security, the less time they can spend on activities that might actually make us safer.
Since the TSA is going with "Document Experts" to examine IDs, how much is this costing a year? The most they might find are what .. a few fake IDs?

Instead of having all this wasted money, how about spending it on something that improves security?

Go a step further and eliminate the worthless no-fly list, the "selectee" program", and all of the spending that is attributed to it. Take that money and spend it on true security improvements.

Eventually you'll reach a point of diminishing returns; instead of spending more, take the money and use it to pay down the deficit or spend it on something worthwhile like development of alternative energy and implementation. The sooner the US ends its "oil addiction", the safer the US will be.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Metropolitan Airports Authority police at IAD and DCA are actually Federal LEO
MWAA Officers are certified LEOs by the Commonwealth of Virginia, they do not go through FLETC with other Federal Law Enforcement Officers and are not Federal LEOs, even though their authority incorporates various federal laws and airport operations. It is similar to Washington DC Metropolitan Police Officers, even though they are officers in the "Federal City", they are not Federal Law Enforcement Officers.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
So you're saying the OP is like Rosa Parks. Blasphemy.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
So you're saying the OP is like Rosa Parks. Blasphemy.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Aren't the ID checkers in most airports *not* TSA employees to begin with? If it is a private security employee, do they have any more right to request your ID at the checkpoint?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Aren't the ID checkers in most airports *not* TSA employees to begin with? If it is a private security employee, do they have any more right to request your ID at the checkpoint?
The TSA is launching a new program to take over ID screening.

They're looking to make a big bust finding fake ID's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.