Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your right to fly without ID (proof at last)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Isn't travelling enough of a hassle these days without intentionally making it worse just to exercise your right to go against the perception of the rules?

I'd rather show my ID and be done with it than buck this part of the system.

There are a lot of fights to be fought against the Chicken-Little-attitude toward security in our post 9/11 country, but I really don't think flying without ID is one of them.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by oneant
Your choice. Nice word that, "choice".
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by pgrin
It does however prove that you are a pain in the ... who will just hold up the line for the rest of us.
If Chris or anyone else declines to show ID, he won't be holding you or the rest of you up. He will be given a secondary screening while you (presumably) walk quickly through the checkpoint. Eyes down of course.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If Chris or anyone else declines to show ID, he won't be holding you or the rest of you up. He will be given a secondary screening while you (presumably) walk quickly through the checkpoint. Eyes down of course.
Actually, chances are that he will be walked to the head of the line, or shuttled off to a line specific to secondary screening, and be done with his secondary while those that showed ID will still be snaking their way through the cattle herding ropes to get to the WTMD.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:21 pm

What a silly item.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:40 pm
Suspended

When approaching a security check point at an airport please have your boarding pass in one hand and your driver's license, passport or military ID in the other hand. If you do not have or refuse to show one of these, please do all of us normal people a favor and stay home.
Refusing to show ID does not make you a freedom fighter, a defender of the constitution or a hero. It does however prove that you are a pain in the ... who will just hold up the line for the rest of us.
Pgrin
NEVER!

You always have the choice of another means of transportation if you don't care for the way others choose to protest nonsense.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:46 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
When approaching a security check point at an airport please have your boarding pass in one hand and your driver's license, passport or military ID in the other hand. If you do not have or refuse to show one of these, please do all of us normal people a favor and stay home.
And if you lose your ID while traveling (no longer a normal person?), should you walk home, stay put forever, or wait two weeks while the DMV sends a new license to your home and someone else is kind enough to get it out of your mailbox and mail it to you?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:47 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Isn't travelling enough of a hassle these days without intentionally making it worse just to exercise your right to go against the perception of the rules?

So would I (I'm a chicken), but more power to anyone who wants to go through the trouble of challenging the ID requirement.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:48 pm

Will someone please help me understand what exactly the problem is with being required to show ID at the airport? I understand the absurdity of there being numerous holes in a system tasked with securing our "safety" in commercial aviation, but what would you gain if they stopped asking that ID's be shown?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
And if you lose your ID while traveling (no longer a normal person?), should you walk home, stay put forever, or wait two weeks while the DMV sends a new license to your home and someone else is kind enough to get it out of your mailbox and mail it to you?
That's a legitimate concern, and it would be quite an inconvenience. Why do it on purpose?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Will someone please help me understand what exactly the problem is with being required to show ID at the airport?
First the airport, then crossing state lines, then walking down the street. What would you say if police started checking IDs of people at random just, "For their safety." ???
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
First the airport, then crossing state lines, then walking down the street. What would you say if police started checking IDs of people at random just, "For their safety." ???
Ah, the "slippery slope" argument. Does anyone have something more convincing than that to help me understand?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
What a silly item.
Care to elaborate?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Will someone please help me understand what exactly the problem is with being required to show ID at the airport? I understand the absurdity of there being numerous holes in a system tasked with securing our "safety" in commercial aviation, but what would you gain if they stopped asking that ID's be shown?
A better question should be what IS gained by showing ID at the airport. The airlines love it because it prevents non-refundable tickets from being used by others, thus protecting a revenue stream. However, how does presenting ID at security checkpoints prevent weapons and other dangerous items from entering a sterile area? My assumption was that the TSA is there to ensure the safety of passengers, not to act as a de-facto police force.

Those of you who feel comfortable presenting ID without question please continue to do so. The loss of civil liberties IS a slippery slope, and one only need to look to history to see Democracies or relatively free and tolerant societies that became totalitarian states to understand that once the people accept the rules of authority without question, it is not long before you are "presenting papers" in situations you never would of imagined and looking back on the days when you had the right and freedom to move freely and in anonymity.

I for one hope I will not stand idly by and let that happen.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:38 pm

You know why El Al has never had a terrorist attack? Stringent security.

Our system has problems, sure. I'll gladly admit that and am willing to stand up against the encroachment of fear-mongering politicians on my civil liberties.

But air travel is a favorite target for terrorism and added scrutiny, and perhaps a bit of hassle on our part, I find to be a necessary evil.

It's one hell of a stretch to parlay that into "randomly" stopping people to check ID. Airport security is not random; everyone is checked.

If what was said about a person refusing to show their ID not causing even more security delays is true, then protest your hearts out. But the moment that person adds to the aggravation we already face, I have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.