Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Green cards WITHOUT expiry date now need to be renewed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green cards WITHOUT expiry date now need to be renewed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Time to do it, or else you may face a fine if this goes through...

"Aug 22, 6:01 PM (ET) - Hundreds of thousands of legal residents whose green cards don't have expiration dates may have to pay $370 to replace them, or risk criminal penalties.

A division of the Homeland Security Department on Wednesday proposed requiring legal residents with those cards to pay a $290 replacement application fee plus $80 for electronic fingerprints and a photo.

Those who repeatedly fail to comply face up to 30 days in prison and a $100 fine, under the proposal.

Citizenship and Immigration Services estimates about 750,000 legal permanent U.S. residents were issued green cards between 1977 and 1989 that lack expiration dates.

If they fail to apply for a replacement, their green cards would eventually be terminated on a date to be set later. A terminated card would not invalidate an immigrant's status as a legal resident, but could make it hard to travel or get a new job."

More here.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Notice how they didn't require this until just after the fees were raised.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver
Thank you Dallasbill for that. So as I thought, it is not yet a legal requirement. Not an unexpected proposal by any means, but not actually in force yet.

Jennifer

P.S. While my photo definitely needs updating, I'm not quirte sure why one's fingerprints would. Particularly bearing in mind that they have never, ever used the fingerprint on the card to verify my identity.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Jenniferpa
P.S. While my photo definitely needs updating, I'm not quirte sure why one's fingerprints would. Particularly bearing in mind that they have never, ever used the fingerprint on the card to verify my identity.
It appears you now have to pay for the privilege of having your fingerprints digitized.

Also of note from later in the same story:
Legal residents with cards that need to be replaced would not be individually notified.
How typically bureaucratic that sounds!
For some legal residents who have criminal records, applying for a new card could lead to deportation. Immigrants who commit crimes varying from shoplifting to murder are considered deportable even if the crime occurred years ago and the immigrant completed a jail sentence or paid a fine for the crime.

"This is a way of asking people to come report themselves," said Crystal Williams, associate director for programs at the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Citizenship and Immigration Services said in the Federal Register that it had considered expiring all pre-1989 cards and lowering the fee for replacing the cards.

But it ultimately decided against that because the agency would have to charge other immigrants to cover the costs.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DLgold , BA, HH, etc
Expiring green cards

Green cards I551 with no expiration date are valid indefinitely!

Download the USCIS Employers Handbook M-274 Rev 04/03/2009 and see page 46 for the definitive statement. Note the REV date!

I am currently in the naturalization application process having been a permanent resident since 1982, and have checked with the INS during my two interviews and on both occasions the officers have stated in no uncertain terms our cards are valid indefinitely.

I hopes this helps someone.

Peter
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I have one of those green cards from 1985. Such a green card is valid despite what you have been told. There is noise about requiring holders of such cards to get new ones, but it never happens. If didn't happen under Bush, I don't see it happening under Obama.

Several times CBP officers would tell me that I need to get it replaced. Each time I would go to the DHS website and find out they were telling lies.

One time I got so tired of it, I tried to decipher the process and the DHS website provided nothing but confusion. And I ignored it for several years.

However, in 2008, after a rather ugly crossing at YYC, I re-visited the DHS website and found that they had clarified the procedure. It was rather painless other than the cash they took from me, and spending all day driving to and from Denver one Saturday to have my biometrics taken.

There is one advantage to the new green cards: they are machine readable and so can be used for Global Entry kiosks.

Note however that the form to get a replacement green card asks some questions which if you answer yes might put your status at risk. E.g. a traffic ticket over $500 (which is really easy these days).

I applied for a replacement card on the assumption they'd find some reason to deport me, and was pleasantly surprised to get a new card.

Originally Posted by britdiver
One thing, I did not take my old card with me,
Wow you travel within the USA without a green card? Bad idea and perhaps against the law.
Originally Posted by britdiver
it is NOT required to hand in so I will still have the old one should I forget to renew the new one in 10 years.
Bad idea. CBP knows you have the new card. The old card is probably just a souvenir. Probably useless for crossing borders or proving status with the CBP (who now post checkpoints well within the country and expect green card holders to actually hold and handover the cards for review).

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 9, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:19 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Probably useless for crossing boarders or proving status with the CBP.
Can you explain your logic?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Ari
Can you explain your logic?
My logic?

I can attempt to relate CBP logic.

The card has been officially replaced with the modern one with the magnetic strip, machine readable symbols and various counterfeit proofing attributes. The CBP knows the card has been replaced. In the words of the CBP officer who interrogated me for Global Entry, the old card is just a souvenir. (This was prompted by a question from the CBP officer as whether CBP gives me hard time; I respond yes, until I had the old card replaced.)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:51 am

How to re-enter USA, My "Green card" has no expiration date?‏

My name is Jawed and I graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State University. I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?
2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?
3) Would I be able to e-file (online)?
4) What is the correct and complete procedure to re-enter USA in my situation ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Regards,
Jawed.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by peace222

My name is Jawed and I graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State University. I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?
2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Regards,
Jawed.
Jawed, you need to contact an immigration attorney. Generally (and I do say generally, this isn't a hard and fast rule), spending one year abroad can be regarded as abandoning your permanent resident status. I think that 32 years would VERY likely be regarded as abandonment.

See below: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:46 am

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
Regards,
Jawed.
You do not say how you originally qualified for Lawful Permanent Resident status. You have not lived in the United States for the past thirty two years. You have legally abandoned your Lawful Permanent Resident status. There are several options at this point.

You could goto the American Embassy and tell them your story and that you wish to return to reside in the United States. The consulate officer will either do the required paperwork and issue you a SB-1 visa. You would then bring that visa to the US with you and CBP would process you in and you would receive a new card. OR

The consulate officer would tell you that you have to go through the whole process over again which would require someone or some entity petitioning for you.

It would all depend upon the circumstances of your particular story.

You are not going to be able to come on a tourist visa and then just apply for a new LPR card nor do I suggest attempting to just enter on the old card. CBP will understand about staying out over the one year limit to a point Thirty Two years is a bit past that point.

FB
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:54 am

@ Firebug4 and cestmoi123

Thank you for the reply. If this is the case then how come Original Poster (Jennifer) could travel to USA without any problem after 13 years, Which again is a long time and it breaks your mentioned rule of 1-2 year staying away and abandoning etc?

I've seen some cases here on the internet and came to know that people can enter into USA legally but at the airport they write on the green card that it should be renewed and one cannot enter the second time with the same card. Then we have to apply for a new card. According to the rules, If a card doesn't have an expiry date, I think it's still valid

@ Firebug4

If I apply for SB-1 visa from my home country Pakistan. Will they take my original green card and social security card ? What if they take the original one and don't give me back by replying that it's canceled and if I could enter USA without going through all this hassle and solve my problem myself inside USA ? What can I do then ? People here are not good and I don't think that they will try to help me in my situation.

Can I just solve this case directly from US immigration office ?

What will happen if I just buy a ticket and enter in USA legally like other people do who got green cards without any expiry date?

"Quote from Jenniferpa on 1st page"
Ah, that makes more sense. Mind you that means mine has been expired for 13 years, and having entered the country 12 seperate times in the last 2 years, this is the first time anyone has indicated it needed to be renewed. Darn, yet another decision to make: renew or go the citizenship route. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:28 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ Firebug4 and cestmoi123

Thank you for the reply. If this is the case then how come Original Poster (Jennifer) could travel to USA without any problem after 13 years, Which again is a long time and it breaks your mentioned rule of 1-2 year staying away and abandoning etc?

I've seen some cases here on the internet and came to know that people can enter into USA legally but at the airport they write on the green card that it should be renewed and one cannot enter the second time with the same card. Then we have to apply for a new card. According to the rules, If a card doesn't have an expiry date, I think it's still valid
Those are different issues. When one's green card expires and abandoning one's LPR status have nothing to do with each other. You can have a card issued in 2009 that expires in 2019 and abandon your status by sepnding 2011-2013 out of the country. So the fact that you happen to have a card without an expiration date doesn't help you. Like FB said, you have to go to a consulate or embassy. After 32 years, you might have to start the process all over again.

If you just show up with that 'unexpired' Green Card and tell them you're back after 32 years, you'll probably end up in removal proceedings if they admit you at all. (Being in removal proceedings doesn't mean you'll be worse off than going the Embassy route depending on your circumstances, but it isn't the proper and legal way to go about things).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:34 pm
ylF

From the government site https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...xpiration-date

Updated 05/15/2013

LPR- Lost, stolen or expired green cards or has no expiration date

Note: Green cards issued between 1979 and August 1989 do not have expiration dates and do not need to be renewed unless you want to use the GE kiosk. GE kiosks cannot read the old format Green cards.

If you have a Green card that was issued before 1989 and the photo was taken when you were a child, you may want to renew it even though its not required. If a CBP Officer is unable to identify you from the old photo as the legal owner of the green card, you could be delayed until your identity is verified.
Thus, as of May, 2013 the cards issued between 1979 and 1989 are still valid and do not need to be renewed. Of course if you want to renew it especially if you want to use the GE Kiosk.

As of all the talk in the past that they automatically expire in 10 years even if there is no expiration date, well it was just that-all talk.

Until further notice, the cards without expiration date are still valid and it is NOT mandatory to renew them.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody know if USCIS is still making noise about trying to get a requirement to have these replaced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.