Must Travel Blurry Eyed

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:41 am
Original Poster

The official word from the website is any size if it's declared. But as we've seen in this post that doesn't really matter. As someone recommended though if you print out copies of the 'allowed' list they should follow the list and let you go through.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My four ounce salines have universally not been questioned within the US. Outside the country, they sometimes attract attention but the reality is that contact lens saline is not all easy to find in containers smaller than four ounces and I'm usually able to argue my way to retain the saline. Generally, it's only half full or so, which might help my cause outside the USA. Based on the TSA's website, a 12 or 16 ounce bottle should be ok, but I've never carried on such a large bottle, so I'm not going to fight that battle.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I fly out Wednesday so I'll update everyone :P
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Germany is NOT a Third World country. Just walk into any optician with a copy of your prescription and you'll have your contact lenses in a couple of days.
Who will pay for these new contacts? It won't be the OP's insurance company.

Originally Posted by Dominion
until my parents could buy a whole new set, not covered now because I can only get one set a year, then ship them.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Who will pay for these new contacts? It won't be the OP's insurance company.
Exactly, my insurance company will cover 0 of the crazy amount they cost. And this is how much they cost in the US, I have no idea how much they might be in Europe and how much the Dr. themselves will charge.

Fact of the matter is TSA should not have the right to confiscate or even touch my contacts. Contacts are a sterile situation, anyone who wears them knows what happens if you get bacteria or something unwanted on the lens.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Fact of the matter is TSA should not have the right to confiscate or even touch my contacts.
^Agreed. I don't need any help from the TSA; I can damage, lose, and otherwise endanger my contacts all by myself.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Why did she agree to leave her contact lenses behind? At the very least, I would have been calling for an airline representative or GSC to get their opinion on the situation.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Why did she agree to leave her contact lenses behind? At the very least, I would have been calling for an airline representative or GSC to get their opinion on the situation.

If you're talking about the OP, the screener-thug lost; the LEO and SUP allowed the passenger to keep their contacts. As it should be.

The TSA has no lawful authority to confiscate lawful items on the basis of how they were presented to the TSA. Declare or don't declare - it simply doesn't matter. Chertoff and Kip can go straight to hell if they believe otherwise. There are no statutes nor regulations authorizing the TSA to steal lawfully permitted items like contact lenses. No ifs ands or buts about it.

The TOS prevents me from giving my opinion about what should happen to any screener-thug who threatens to confiscate someone's contact lenses. Suffice it to say that IMO, there's a certain permanence to the outcome.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
She was allowed to take her lenses with her, after she explained the situation to the sup and a LEO.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:03 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
She was allowed to take her lenses with her, after she explained the situation to the sup and a LEO.
I guess my reading comprehension skills weren't up to par yesterday. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

I honestly was worried that some idiot screener would succeed in confiscating contact lenses (and I do wear them and carry extras), because you never know with these people!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.