FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   SPOT Training (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/725394-spot-training.html)

vassilipan Aug 14, 2007 6:24 pm

SPOT Training

Want to know how comprehensive SPOT training is?

"The strategy is based on a time-tested and successful Israeli model, but in the United States, the scrutiny is much less invasive, Ekman said. American officers receive 16 hours of training — far less than their Israeli counterparts_ because U.S. officials want to be less intrusive."

Link: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/18923.html

Superguy Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm

What's that saying about a little bit of knowledge being dangerous?

Yet another half-a$$ed attempt by TSA. :td:

Wiirachay Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm

16 hours? :rolleyes: And is this "officer" an FBI trainee or a $12/hour screener? :rolleyes:

Superguy Aug 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wiirachay (Post 8232971)
16 hours? :rolleyes: And is this "officer" an FBI trainee or a $12/hour screener? :rolleyes:

I had more OJT than that working at an entry level job in the computer field. And that was after I already had some knowledge of what I was doing.

16 hours of cold training. I guess some contractor made some nice bucks at least.

outtolunch Aug 15, 2007 12:17 am

At the heart of the new screening system is a theory that when people try to conceal their emotions, they reveal their feelings in flashes that Ekman, a pioneer in the field, calls "micro-expressions." Fear and disgust are the key ones, he said, because they're associated with deception.

The expressions of disgust are from having to go through the security charade at the airport and dealing with morons.

tsadude1 Aug 15, 2007 5:25 am

Not even close to being factual. Email Mr Kudwa and ask him if he has been to the actual class. The training doesn't stop and the process is selective and very intense.

doober Aug 15, 2007 6:25 am

You, too, can train to SPOT

Simply buy Ekman's training program on line for $260 and you will be able to SPOT the SPOTTERS.

http://www.face-and-emotion.com/data...ew_version.jsp

GUWonder Aug 15, 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by tsadude1 (Post 8234455)
The training doesn't stop and the process is selective and very intense.

.... and the results still do not inspire confidence. We'll have what we got -- yet another demonstration of a waste of resources (i.e., including money/labor/time) that will have DHS claiming success for catching someone with overdue alimony, overdue child support, someone intoxicated. They will claim success while failing to disclose all the non-criminals "SPOTTED".

tsadude1 Aug 15, 2007 7:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 8234700)
.... and the results still do not inspire confidence. We'll have what we got -- yet another demonstration of a waste of resources (i.e., including money/labor/time) that will have DHS claiming success for catching someone with overdue alimony, overdue child support, someone intoxicated. They will claim success while failing to disclose all the non-criminals "SPOTTED".

I'm sure that if you do a forum search you will find that this is a program that many of you "experts" requested, are you denying this?

vassilipan Aug 15, 2007 7:23 am

Originally Posted by tsadude1 (Post 8234455)
The training doesn't stop and the process is selective and very intense.

Care to elaborate? Or is that SSI?

A lesson plan and syllabus would be nice to see.

mikeef Aug 15, 2007 7:27 am

Kudwa described the effort, which began as a pilot program in 2006, as "very successful" at identifying suspicious airline passengers. She said it had netted drug carriers, illegal immigrants and terrorism suspects. She wouldn't say more.
No doubt that the TSA would have had it up on their website if they had actually caught a terrorist, so I'll assume that they have only caught drug carriers and illegal immigrants. Not exactly the mission of these folks.

Transportation Security Administrator Kip Hawley told an aviation industry group in Washington last month. He described them as "a wonderful tool to be able to identify and do risk management prior to somebody coming into the airport or approaching the crowded checkpoint."
Um, sure. I'm sure there are tons of SPOTters outside, just looking for people who feel nervous or rushed. Because that never happens at airports.

On the plus side, I got SPOTted for walking through the WTMD the wrong way, so at least a few people have job security.

Fear and disgust are the key ones, he said, because they're associated with deception.
See Outtolunch above.

Mike

GUWonder Aug 15, 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tsadude1 (Post 8234785)
I'm sure that if you do a forum search you will find that this is a program that many of you "experts" requested, are you denying this?

I am sure that if you do a forum search you will find that there have been many posts in this forum that have been saying this has no place in America. Airports are not meant to be law enforcement's warrantless fishing net.

GUWonder Aug 15, 2007 8:02 am

"Fear and disgust are .... associated with deception"? :rolleyes: Concealment is associated with deception. Fear and disgust are associated with fear and disgust. What a joke this program is, a joke to make some favored parties some money.

whirledtraveler Aug 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by vassilipan (Post 8232338)
Want to know how comprehensive SPOT training is?

"The strategy is based on a time-tested and successful Israeli model, but in the United States, the scrutiny is much less invasive, Ekman said. American officers receive 16 hours of training — far less than their Israeli counterparts_ because U.S. officials want to be less intrusive."

It's hard to have confidence in people who think that training time correlates to intrusiveness, rather than effectiveness.

whirledtraveler Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

delete delete delete