Another TSA Confiscation Program (PNS)

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by erictank
They are taking items belonging to passengers without freely-granted consent. If the passenger refuses, governmental force is applied to separate said item(s) from them (and to place the person in "custody"). Answers.com provides definitions of the term "robbery" from a number of sources. Of particular applicability, IMO, is the one from the "Law Encyclopedia" listing:
"Robbery

The taking of money or goods in the possession of another, from his or her person or immediate presence, by force or intimidation."

It goes on to provide quite a bit of amplifying information, but the very first line sums things up quite handily. I saw nothing to indicate this would not apply simply because the actor in question was a government agent.

BIG surprise...

And sometimes it's not. Be a sheep if you want.

Don't presume to demand that those who disagree with you must be, as well.
As this has turned into beating a dead horse, and reason is no longer in the room, I suggest that you go to your local PD and ask them to assist you in obtaining an arrest warrant for the TSA due to "armed robbery" you suffered...but of course they are probably sheeple too.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
All BS asside, state sponsored confiscations are legal. Well, of course whoever makes these laws is not subject to them (Chandra Levy and the congressional pages come to mind) but because of that reason the lawmaking patricians simply don't care anymore. Yea, they will take your water and your toothpaste. Quite frankly what they do with it is none of my concern. Once the hands of a TSA have been on my stuff I feel DIRTY. Not to mention my feet. I mean for the love of any god figure out there, isn't walking barefoot in a public place a dangerous health hazard?

Yes you pack your bag yourself, yes you are responsible for your own actions, but let's not forget. TSA is here to stay, no matter what the "robbed" public says. And guess what... ALL OF YOU ARE TO BLAME! Not me... I can't vote (not a citizen yet) but the rest of you are to blame for this BS. Why isn't any of the right seekers out there running for office in a honest effort to change things? Why do we have to be subjected to the same neglecting lawmakers year in and year out? We don't have to, but we do. Because we like placing blame and not assume responsability. We like complaining about things we want changed yet we do nothing to change them.

That's it... whatever lesson is to be drawn from this, feel free to draw it.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, VX Gold, Hertz 5*
Whenever I've accidentally tried to carry a prohibited item through security, the TSO has always said I could check it, put it in my car, mail it, drink it landside and come back through, or surrender it.

In other words they were offering a conveniently located trash can in addition to the other options.

Now I think the TSA rules are as stupid and ineffective as the next guy, but I've never seen anyone forced to give anything up without there being some way to keep it--you just can't bring it into the sterile area.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DEVIS
All BS asside, state sponsored confiscations are legal. Well, of course whoever makes these laws is not subject to them (Chandra Levy and the congressional pages come to mind) but because of that reason the lawmaking patricians simply don't care anymore. Yea, they will take your water and your toothpaste. Quite frankly what they do with it is none of my concern. Once the hands of a TSA have been on my stuff I feel DIRTY. Not to mention my feet. I mean for the love of any god figure out there, isn't walking barefoot in a public place a dangerous health hazard?

Yes you pack your bag yourself, yes you are responsible for your own actions, but let's not forget. TSA is here to stay, no matter what the "robbed" public says. And guess what... ALL OF YOU ARE TO BLAME! Not me... I can't vote (not a citizen yet) but the rest of you are to blame for this BS. Why isn't any of the right seekers out there running for office in a honest effort to change things? Why do we have to be subjected to the same neglecting lawmakers year in and year out? We don't have to, but we do. Because we like placing blame and not assume responsability. We like complaining about things we want changed yet we do nothing to change them.

That's it... whatever lesson is to be drawn from this, feel free to draw it.
Problem is getting out of the primaries. Often good people either run as independents or don't win their primaries. Or of course, they like the pork a long standing congresscritter brings in and will vote to keep it in. Put in a freshman congresscritter and you lose that ...

A lot of us try to do things within the framework of what we have. You can only run for office every so often.

And just because no one has mentioned it here (or even recently), doesn't mean that people are sitting back and doing nothing either.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by eater
Whenever I've accidentally tried to carry a prohibited item through security, the TSO has always said I could check it, put it in my car, mail it, drink it landside and come back through, or surrender it.

In other words they were offering a conveniently located trash can in addition to the other options.

Now I think the TSA rules are as stupid and ineffective as the next guy, but I've never seen anyone forced to give anything up without there being some way to keep it--you just can't bring it into the sterile area.
It happened at Terminal A (Continental gates) at EWR on Friday and Saturday. Barker was telling shepple that any banned items would be found and confiscated (they didn't find or confiscate my Neosporin that I forgot was in my laptop bag). I saw several people have their makeup, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. confiscated with no recourse to putting it in their checked luggage.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eater
It isn't gracious to provide ways of keeping something that shouldn't be confiscated to begin with.

Which is ridiculous.

I have.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
My basic rule is that when I hit the word "sheeple" in a post, I can stop reading because the noise:signal ratio is almost guaranteed to be baaaad. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I think the old P(Hitler)=1 argument may need updating.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:38 am

Update to bump an old thread...

I got this from one of my Senators today, after sending emails to both regarding the "donations-to-the-homeless" confiscations. About the best I can say about it is, it looks like SOMEONE in the office at least read my email. It's not a COMPLETE form letter. Just MOSTLY one.

"Dear Mr. Tank:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about prohibited items that are confiscated from passengers. I always appreciate hearing from my fellow Virginians.

In the post-September 11th world, maintaining security at airports and on airplanes has become one of our nation’s utmost homeland security priorities. Although some security measures might seem excessive, most are necessary to protect our nation from an enemy that seeks to do massive harm. I commend law enforcement and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials for their ceaseless dedication and service.

I do realize, however, that disruptions and annoyances caused by these necessary security measures can frustrate passengers. While Americans might be angered or inconvenienced by these measures, please be assured that they are being taken with the utmost concern for the people and that every effort is being made to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Furthermore, the TSA has assured me that they continually review their policies to ensure that they remain appropriate and effective.

Although no legislation is currently before Congress regarding the possibility of confiscated, liquid items being donated to homeless shelters, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation on this issue arise before the Senate. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again, thank you for contacting me to express your concern.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

John Warner

United States Senator"

In general, for no concern over anything but maintaining the status quo - but then, Warner is (last I heard) not intending to stand for re-election and doesn't need to express REAL concern for his constituents anymore, let alone actually DO anything about them.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erictank
Update to bump an old thread...

I got this from one of my Senators today, after sending emails to both regarding the "donations-to-the-homeless" confiscations. About the best I can say about it is, it looks like SOMEONE in the office at least read my email. It's not a COMPLETE form letter. Just MOSTLY one.

"Dear Mr. Tank:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about prohibited items that are confiscated from passengers. I always appreciate hearing from my fellow Virginians.

In the post-September 11th world, maintaining security at airports and on airplanes has become one of our nation’s utmost homeland security priorities. Although some security measures might seem excessive, most are necessary to protect our nation from an enemy that seeks to do massive harm. I commend law enforcement and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials for their ceaseless dedication and service.

I do realize, however, that disruptions and annoyances caused by these necessary security measures can frustrate passengers. While Americans might be angered or inconvenienced by these measures, please be assured that they are being taken with the utmost concern for the people and that every effort is being made to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Furthermore, the TSA has assured me that they continually review their policies to ensure that they remain appropriate and effective.

Although no legislation is currently before Congress regarding the possibility of confiscated, liquid items being donated to homeless shelters, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation on this issue arise before the Senate. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again, thank you for contacting me to express your concern.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

John Warner

United States Senator"

In general, for no concern over anything but maintaining the status quo - but then, Warner is (last I heard) not intending to stand for re-election and doesn't need to express REAL concern for his constituents anymore, let alone actually DO anything about them.
I posted a similiar letter from my former Congressman (I've since moved) in the "My Congressman's been Kippified" thread where he actually wrote me seriously that things like shampoo are a threat in the wrong hands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.