Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA once again not the country's best line of defense....

Old Aug 13, 07, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

I was flying from GEG to LAS recently, and I wanted to (legally) test how stupid TSA employees are.

I had around 12 oz. of sunscreen, in a long, standard Banana Boat tube, hidden in a side pocket, inside my suitcase. I did not claim this, and would say "Oh, I forgot all about that" in case I was caught, and let them keep it.

Well, they saw something on the x-ray: "check this here bag, Doug, I see sumthin".

Well, Doug being the genius that he was, didn't even find the easily accessible zipper, his hand touching the tube around 5 times.

On the return trip, they didn't even see it on x-ray.

If it were a terrorist with explosives, I doubt they would have been caught either. Don't you feel safe

Also, on this trip, I was sent through with a smile, and my grandmother was forced to get out of her wheelchair, patted down by a female (I need not say why it needed to be a female TSA agent), and given the run around. Needless to say I spoke up on why she was being singled out, and they told me "you just never know these days". I said "what a waste of the taxpayer's money" and walked away.

Something really needs to change here
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
What was it that made you think they ever were?
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
What was it that made you think they ever were?
I never thought they were

The government wants us to believe they are, and yet again, they've proven to be a bunch of minimum-wage, useless rent-a-cops with no talent at finding anything.

They did find a brick of cheese though - that was funny. Good thing they haven't outlawed carry-on meals yet (which is coming - mark my words).
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:28 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
What if there's mayo on the turkey sandwich? What if you put the sandwich in a blender?

Best SNL skit in a long time!
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
What if there's mayo on the turkey sandwich? What if you put the sandwich in a blender?

What if as a passenger, I don't have 3 oz of liquid on me, but am confident that I can produce 3+ ounces on the flight?

You mean producing a liquid?

Or a gel.

THAT was the best line from that skit!!
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post

hahah, let's not give them ideas.

I wish I saw that SNL skit.

Next thing, they'll be making all of us empty our bladders before heading onto the plane. Speaking of which, if terrorists really wanted to blow our planes up, I'm sure they could somehow ignite their piss, or their "3 ounces" of liquid. If 5 terrorists were together, 15 ounces of extremely flammable substance could seriously own an airplane.

Not denying that the occassional crazy terrorists wants to down a plane, but let's face it, we're in no way protected from limiting the amount of shampoo/soda on the airplane. A better way to check this would be to test for gasoline/explosives via a sample strip into the liquid, and let us have our freaking sodas already.
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:46 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by roadtripman View Post
On the return trip, they didn't even see it on x-ray.
Thats a good thing.. I'm glad you didn't got harassed.

If it were a terrorist with explosives, I doubt they would have been caught either. Don't you feel safe
again TSA != security (English: TSA is not security)

Also, on this trip, I was sent through with a smile, and my grandmother was forced to get out of her wheelchair, patted down by a female (I need not say why it needed to be a female TSA agent), and given the run around.

Something really needs to change here
Sorry about your grandmother's experience...
This expensive circus has to go.
Old Aug 13, 07, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cpx View Post
Thats a good thing.. I'm glad you didn't got harassed.....This expensive circus has to go.
I'm hoping that the Democrats win the next election, and the USA rids itself of these circus-like Bush creations. I actually supported Bush (though I am not American, so only morally/rooting for) back in the 2004 elections, before everything turned to hell. Now, I can see that he really is insane for the amount of BS he is putting the average Canadian through at the border.

But, for some reason, I don't expect Hillary to do a good job, either, at protecting the airports. That whole place needs a drastic overhaul, or people just won't fly anymore, and then they'll be scratching their heads.

The only terrorists I see right now, are the phonies in the TSA uniforms, harrassing me when I'm trying to make my airport experience as nice as could be.
Old Aug 13, 07, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Who says it's a foregone conclusion that Hillary will win? I think it's far from that.

Besides, she's already had 2 terms in office.
Old Aug 13, 07, 9:03 pm
cpx

The only terrorists I see right now, are the phonies in the TSA uniforms, harrassing me when I'm trying to make my airport experience as nice as could be.
I wouldn't blame all TSOs, but the people who employ them with our
tax money.. (yes.. you pay that tax too)
These people are so full of it.. they fly the private jets and wouldn't
dare to go through the "security" they've created.

PS: I didn't know the residents of the 51st state weren't allowed to vote
just kidding
Old Aug 13, 07, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
hahah, let's not give them ideas.

I wish I saw that SNL skit.
Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzqFz_nHZE
Old Aug 13, 07, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cpx View Post
I wouldn't blame all TSOs, but the people who employ them with our
tax money.. (yes.. you pay that tax too)
These people are so full of it.. they fly the private jets and wouldn't
dare to go through the "security" they've created.

PS: I didn't know the residents of the 51st state weren't allowed to vote
just kidding
I pay American taxes??? Since when?!?!?

Is it the ubiquitous "TSA Administration Fee" on my airline ticket?
Old Aug 14, 07, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Who says it's a foregone conclusion that Hillary will win? I think it's far from that.

Besides, she's already had 2 terms in office.

Let's hope not, cause I'd rather slit my wrists and soak them in vinegar before having that happen.

She is somewhat of the worst type of feminist, left-wing, communist sympathizer that you could ask for, IMHO...again IMHO....once again, IMHO, for those who I might piss off with such a comment.

Personally, I don't think there is any one excellent contender for the Dems. Nor the Republicans. I think the USA is a bit screwed next November, in any case. But let's hope I am just being pessimistic.

Case in Point: Let's go BACK TO THE 90's when terrorists were still around, and air travel wasn't a PITA. Yes, 9/11 did happen, but because we didn't screen their bags for things like exacto-knifes and things that look like bombs. Soda is not a terrorist device. Nor is an 86 year old Grandmother who has no idea what day it is, let alone why a lady is touching her breasts.

-End Rant-

P.s. Please don't think I am bashing democrats - I just hate Hillary Clinton. Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 07, 6:07 am
cpx

I pay American taxes??? Since when?!?!?

Is it the ubiquitous "TSA Administration Fee" on my airline ticket?
Correct!
Old Aug 14, 07, 8:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'm hoping that the Democrats win the next election, and the USA rids itself of these circus-like Bush creations.
Not going to happen. The Dems are just as much, if not more, about using the government bludgeon to control the populace as are the Repubs.

Search this Thread