Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA once again not the country's best line of defense....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA once again not the country's best line of defense....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by exerda
No, you were permitted to have small blades. Safety experts even advised pax to travel with a small, preferably serrated, knife to use to help cut their seatbelts, etc. in case of emergency.

I used to take first a Swiss Army-style knife and later a simple folding knife with me. So long as they were in the bins that went through the x-ray, they were no problem to bring airside. Of course, that was also when anyone who wanted could go airside, too.

I miss those days -- I took the swiss army knife I had been travelling around with since 1977 out of my bag in 2001. Since then, I can't begin to count the times I've cursed for not having a screwdriver, tweezers, or corkscrew handy when I needed one.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by curlyflyer
Back in the 90's, I'm pretty sure we were screened for box cutters. I don't recall being able to take blades on planes at that time either. Based on all the posts in this forum, it looks like security checkpoint breaches are still very frequent.
Nope. I remember once looking up the rules, and finding out that you were allowed to bring knives with a blade length of up to 4 inches(!) airside. I distinctly recall thinking that that seemed a bit excessive, but that my Swiss Army knife was probably OK then.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
This thread is getting close to Omni-land...

Until the American people (i.e.voters) recognize that TSA security is a sham, neither party is going to change a thing. It is far too politically risky to change procedures (even if highly justified) as long as there is a remote chanve of another airliner attack. The party that led the changes would be bludgeoned for it, without any justification.
Nope...this little group of "highly justified" FT/LP.org malcontents is not anywhere near a majority. You should have stopped your post at "close to Omni-land".
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:09 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Gold
Muffins

My wife flew last weekend and brought back a box of muffins. TSA hasseled her about the muffins and inspected them, eventually allowing her to pass. They commented that muffins should be OK but jelly donuts would have been a problem. I wish I could say TSA was kidding but they were serious.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Hey,

Just a friendly reminder to play nice in FT sandbox. I just had to delete a handful of posts that involved attacks on other posters and reactions to the same.

It is fine if you disagree with another poster and you should all feel welcome to post your response laying out why you disagree. However you need to do it with respect for the other poster.

The mods will tend to grant a little more leeway when folks attack a group (as long as it doesn't involve specific individuals who are not public figures) such as the TSA, or "the wacky privacy nuts that will get us all killed" or public figures such as osama or kip. Even in these cases, we would like to ask that you do limit your venom as there is still a line that can be crossed.

Finally if you do see something that you think is out of bounds, please simply use the "report bad post" feature (the red triangle to the left of a post). But don't chastise the poster that has transgressed - this just makes things worse (at the very least it is another post that the mod will have to clean up).

Thanks for understanding,

VPescado
TSS forum mod
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:41 am
Suspended

I'd love to see a television reporter walk up to a line of pax waiting to go through security and ask for a show of hands as to how many people feel what they are about to do is useful and how many feel it is all just for show.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by red456
I'd love to see a television reporter walk up to a line of pax waiting to go through security and ask for a show of hands as to how many people feel what they are about to do is useful and how many feel it is all just for show.
No you don't.

What people say publicly - especially when they realize they're about to go through the screening process where the screeners might hear what they said - is often different than what they really think.

Fear is quite the motivating factor.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I did three RT in one month and only on the last leg did TSA say anything about and confiscated the almost empty, rolled up tube of toothpaste. It never occurred to me that the tube exceeded the 3 oz limit until the screener pointed it out.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:05 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by red456
Sad part is the majority of the traveling public (aka sheep) accept the
HaraSSSSSment without questioning it. Even more sad ... the people who
rarely see the face of the airport, think these measures are necessary
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
I'm thinking, if I were to bring a turkey sandwich on board at FRA, making sure I have my little "less than 100ml" pack of mayo 'on the side' in my Kip bag. And as long as I eat said sandwich before reaching CLT (meat ban still in effect, yes?), I will have no problem at all.

However, would the TSA ban my turkey sandwich in CLT when I make my return flight to FRA? That little pack of mayo might be the only thing that makes it?

I am still wondering if I can bring an EMPTY water bottle of any size into the terminal after passing through security? I was thinking of getting a Camel Pack water system to fill before boarding.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:01 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cpx
Sad part is the majority of the traveling public (aka sheep) accept the
HaraSSSSSment without questioning it. Even more sad ... the people who
rarely see the face of the airport, think these measures are necessary
Fortunately, it's getting better.

I can recall overhearing pax 2-3 years ago who had been called to the podium when their flight was cancelled or when the equiment had changed and necessitated issuing new BPs. Some of them grumbled audibly that they "really feel safe they didn't ask for ID" when trading in BPs. I couldn't believe people actually felt they needed to show IDs to trade BPs!

But now, I overhear many pax in line complaining about how stupid the 3-1-1 rule / water carnival is--people who had never objected to the shoe carnival. Once-a-year pax who formerly swallowed the "anything for security" bit hook, line, and sinker are now asking how the rules actually do anything for their safety, and are getting mad about screening.

I think had the TSA stuck with their "all electronics out" policy as originally intended, that might have been it. The airlines would surely have lost more pax and been screaming, and more pax would be causing disturbances and getting press and talking to elected officials, etc. There is going to come a "last straw" at some point... although I'm not sure what exactly it will mean, because no one in Congress can politically try to say anything that might be construed as "reducing" security. Maybe if they start seriously questioning what is effective security, we'll see some change.

(And I KNOW that "all electronics out" is what they originally intended, based on the lack of press for the rule change up until it was about to take effect--when they were simultaneously trumpeting the easing of the ligher ban--and the fact they had to hastily issue "clarifications" that only large electronics needed to come out, and of course that many stations to this day are continuing to insist the policy is indeed "all electronics.")
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:49 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
I'm thinking, if I were to bring a turkey sandwich on board at FRA, making sure I have my little "less than 100ml" pack of mayo 'on the side' in my Kip bag. And as long as I eat said sandwich before reaching CLT (meat ban still in effect, yes?), I will have no problem at all.

However, would the TSA ban my turkey sandwich in CLT when I make my return flight to FRA? That little pack of mayo might be the only thing that makes it?

I am still wondering if I can bring an EMPTY water bottle of any size into the terminal after passing through security? I was thinking of getting a Camel Pack water system to fill before boarding.
Your turkey sandwich would be banned by the customs well before the
TSA gets their hands on it. 100ml is a lot of mayo

You can bring empty water bottle or a camel pack without any issue.

Originally Posted by exerda
Fortunately, it's getting better.
I hope you are right!

Time to write yet another letter to the local officials..
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cpx
Your turkey sandwich would be banned by the customs well before the
TSA gets their hands on it. 100ml is a lot of mayo

You can bring empty water bottle or a camel pack without any issue.
Since I wont be bringing that turkey sandwich, I wont need any amount of mayo, which I might have been able to share.

I have resolved to try bringing an empty water bottle, at the least, and see how I fare.

BTW, do you live near the Brooklyn Bridge or under it. (40.7N 74.0W puts you out in the East River.)
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
I have resolved to try bringing an empty water bottle, at the least, and see how I fare.
$5 says they confiscate it.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:55 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
$5 says they confiscate it.
And €5 says they'll allow it through at FRA because it is empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.