FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   ORD Immigration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/724186-ord-immigration.html)

vienna Aug 10, 2007 11:20 pm

ORD Immigration

Good Morning All! I am a newbie and would appreciate answers to 2 questions:
I am an EU Citizen (Austria), my husband is American, we currently reside in the Middle East.
We will be going to the US next year for a visit after a 2.5 year absence, so I am not personally familiar with the fun of Kippie Bag, shoe removal and so on. In the Middle East as well as in Europe these things are handled on the lighter side, with more courtesy and consistent regulations.
We are used to "special attention" from the Immigration officials because of where we come from, which is OK. I lived in the US for 15 years, was a Permanent Resident, followed the rules given by the INS in California on how to maintain the Residence when living outside the US but my Green Card was taken away on a whim 2.5. years ago by an overzealous Passport Person who needed his 15 min of power!
My questions are: Since my husband is American and I am a lonely visitor now, can we both go through the US Citizen Passport check or will they make me go to the visior lines?
We will be flying AMS-ORD-GSO and return. Upon return, we will go through security in Greensboro,NC, then fly to ORD waiting for the connection to AMS.
Will we be required to go through security again in ORD (national to international departure)?
Thank you in advance for any answers! Happy stressfree travels!!!

blue-sky Aug 11, 2007 11:20 am

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 8212658)

We will be flying AMS-ORD-GSO and return. Upon return, we will go through security in Greensboro,NC, then fly to ORD waiting for the connection to AMS.
Will we be required to go through security again in ORD (national to international departure)?
Thank you in advance for any answers! Happy stressfree travels!!!

You have to clear security again, if you are leaving from the international Terminal T5.

vienna Aug 11, 2007 12:08 pm

Thank you, at least I know and can space my flights, I don't want to be delayed due to the certain extra attention we will get.

otr271 Aug 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by vienna (Post 8214333)
Thank you, at least I know and can space my flights, I don't want to be delayed due to the certain extra attention we will get.

It totally depends on what airline you are flying! E. g. if you are flying UA you won't have to change terminals since their international flights leave from the same Terminal as their domestic flights. I'd check the ORD webpage for information on where you will arrive and where you'll leave.

Newryman Aug 11, 2007 12:59 pm

You are neither a US Citizen nor a Permanent resident so should therefore use the Visitors line. There is little doubt that you will encounter extra attention given your previous PR status and should have lots of evidence that your stay is of a temporary nature. It is not unheard of for the IO to refuse entry in the circumstances you describe on the grounds of presumed immigrant intent.

N830MH Aug 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by blue-sky (Post 8214181)
You have to clear security again, if you are leaving from the international Terminal T5.

Right, You will be headed to terminal 1 or 2 & 3 in ORD. You will be take on the trains from terminal 5 all the way to regular terminals. You will have get clear security again. Make sure if you need take out the laptop or DVD players while you passed security screening. It would be enough common problems in ORD. You will able get onboard the aircraft if you are in domestic USA flights from incoming International flights. You have re-claim the bags next connecting flight from ORD. Hope you will understandable while you are connecting flight from Europe or whatever.

vienna Aug 13, 2007 2:43 am

Thank you for the upfront information.My husband is a born US citizen, would it be frowned upon if we use the citizen line? I have read other posts and do not, under no circumstances, want to be separated from my husband in case they don't let me in. He would probably never find out what happened to me!

Since I have not intention to stay in the US, it is a business trip for my husband and my purpose will be shopping, what kind of proof do I need for these people to convince them of my touristy intentions?
Husband's work contract, taxes, marriage license??
And yes, we will arrive in ORD on UA, going to GSO, then GSO-ORD-AMS, so security checks in every airport, yes? Thank you

moeve Aug 13, 2007 5:38 am

You did say you have had your green card revoked so your best bet ist to contact the Embassy as this could be a red flag!!! I am assuming you will proably be coming in on a visa waiver prog if you have án Austiran passport. To be on the safe side check before you fly.