possible security breach at clt today (8/10/07)

Old Aug 10, 07, 8:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
possible security breach at clt today (8/10/07)

from the faa website at 6:22am

Due to OTHER: LCL TSA ADVISED CLT TWR TO STOP DPTRS DUE TO PSBL SCRTY BREACH, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 46 minutes and 1 hour in length and increasing.

now a question: with many threads about terminal dumps and or security breaches, any thought about having a sticky where one can simply add vs starting a new thread?

edited to add: from wscotv ch9, charlotte:

The Transportation Security Administration said a man went around a security gate at the airport at 7:55 a.m. The security point was closed just after the breach.

Police and airport workers are searching at least six airplanes right now. Operations inside the airport are running normally, however, the TSA said all outbound flights have been halted.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 10, 07 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 10, 07, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
If they didn't see who it was, how are they going to find him?

Idiots.

How does someone 'go around the checkpoint'? Aren't they suppose to be watching the exits?
Old Aug 10, 07, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
If they didn't see who it was, how are they going to find him?

Idiots.

How does someone 'go around the checkpoint'? Aren't they suppose to be watching the exits?
claude reins strikes again.
Old Aug 10, 07, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
After reading the headline, my first thought was "TSA showed up for work today?"
Old Aug 10, 07, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
from wscotv ch9, charlotte:
Operations inside the airport are running normally, however, the TSA said all outbound flights have been halted.
So halting all outbound flights is considered normal operations? I guess this what it has come down to............
Old Aug 10, 07, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
The report I heard on GMA this morning said that they think somewhere around 6 planes closed doors just after this possible breach and took off. They will screen the passengers at their destination. I asked myself "if they are concerned about a threat on a flight, why wouldn't they just return to CLT or land ASAP?" It just doesn't make sense to me if they feel it's a credible threat, they would let the flights continue! Just proves to me what sham this all is...
Old Aug 10, 07, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
[I]The Transportation Security Administration said a man went around a security gate at the airport at 7:55 a.m. The security point was closed just after the breach.
Chicago TV news had a segment a few weeks ago on how many hundreds of people enter the sterile zone at ORD every single night without clearing security. TSA is off duty for 4 to 5 hours a night, so they just flash an ID card and walk through with their lunch pails, backpacks, etc. The person checking ID just sits there and barely looks up as they pass. So, by the standards of the security breach described by the OP, ORD has countless security breaches every single night.

Oh, they also mentioned that over 4000 of those ID cards are missing and unaccounted for (lost, stolen, or former employees who didn't turn them in). I wonder if I can buy one on ebay or if I'd actually have to go to a Chicago street corner to find one?

But I'm not complaining, the great work of the TSA makes me feel so much safer, don't you feel the same way?
Old Aug 10, 07, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom View Post
The report I heard on GMA this morning said that they think somewhere around 6 planes closed doors just after this possible breach and took off. They will screen the passengers at their destination. I asked myself "if they are concerned about a threat on a flight, why wouldn't they just return to CLT or land ASAP?" It just doesn't make sense to me if they feel it's a credible threat, they would let the flights continue! Just proves to me what sham this all is...
The 'screening after arrival' part is the best. If the next landing point is your destination, they cannot force you to undergo screening or detain you - although there is a risk of arrest by the police if the police are there to hold people and you refuse to comply. What I want to see is a large group of passengers, who do not require further screening, refuse TSA orders to remain in the area while not being allowed to leave the airport...and then walk off and head for the terminal exits.

I hope this happens when these aircraft start landing at their next stopping points...
Old Aug 10, 07, 11:37 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
According to the latest news on WSOCTV they will be meeting approx. 12 flts at their arrival stations to look for this person.
Old Aug 10, 07, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
According to the latest news on WSOCTV they will be meeting approx. 12 flts at their arrival stations to look for this person.
Anyone taking bets the TSA doesn't even have a clue what this person looks like or what flight he was on...so this whole 'meet the flights' is just a showman's illusion and there will be another press release this afternoon stating "after an extensive and exhaustive search by TSA professional Screening Officers, the passenger who breached security at CLT airport was not found. The TSA wishes to remind passengers that circumventing checkpoint access is a violation of the law and this passenger's conduct resulted in the disruption of many travel plans.

At no time will the TSA admit their own incompetence missed the passenger entering the sterile area incorrectly, and their further incompetence resulted in no one really knowing what he looked like anyway...not to mention their asinine procedures is really what disrupted everyones' travel plans.

Idiots.
Old Aug 10, 07, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
OK, so they don't seem to know who they are looking for - unless they have a video - so how in heaven's name are they going to find him? It's not like all pax going through a checkpoint get a smiley face stamped on the back of their hand to show they made it through.

Time/resource wasting idiots.
Old Aug 10, 07, 12:19 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This is so stupid I just want to open the windows and scream.

How can a nation of such intelligence continue this foolishness.

@#%$*#$%)[email protected]#$!)@$#GJAODFG)G#YUG#OWGH
Old Aug 10, 07, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
This is so stupid I just want to open the windows and scream.
This guy is in for more than just a retaliatory secondary. Since it hit the news and made the TSA look bad, they're gonna do everything they can to catch this guy and show everyone who's boss.
Old Aug 10, 07, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Anyone taking bets the TSA doesn't even have a clue what this person looks like or what flight he was on...so this whole 'meet the flights' is just a showman's illusion and there will be another press release this afternoon stating "after an extensive and exhaustive search by TSA professional Screening Officers, the passenger who breached security at CLT airport was not found. The TSA wishes to remind passengers that circumventing checkpoint access is a violation of the law and this passenger's conduct resulted in the disruption of many travel plans.

At no time will the TSA admit their own incompetence missed the passenger entering the sterile area incorrectly, and their further incompetence resulted in no one really knowing what he looked like anyway...not to mention their asinine procedures is really what disrupted everyones' travel plans.

Idiots.
and i wonder how long until it comes out that the video surveillance did not show an adequate picture the pax (in other words, it was not working or not focused in on the area it should be) or better yet, there was video surveillance at all.

now i completely agree that the tsa will never admit their own incompetence but remember that they are so on top of things that they will post their successes on their website at the drop of a hat.
woman being kidnapped to india and numerous meth dealers but not the kid that actually boarded a wn flight without a bp and wasn't noticed until he arrived at his destination and no ter'wrists. how come?
f*ng dog and pony show-that's all it is. if it was done right, the tsa would work (i know, blasphemy saying the tsa could work and Spiff is gonna have me shot at sunrise* for saying so) but the federal governement can screw up a free lunch so i guess it will never happen.

*maybe i'll get lucky that it will rain and the sun won't come out

Last edited by goalie; Aug 10, 07 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 10, 07, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

and to add this from the cbs radio national news:

accorrding to the tsa, "an unknown, and what appeared to be a hispanic, male was able to bypass the security line at charlotte-douglass airport. a search for this person took apporxiamtley 2 1/2 hours but the passenger was not located"

reporter's closing comment before moving on to the next story: "the tsa declined to comment as to how the pax was able to bypass security" (why am i not surprised )

Search this Thread