FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Golf clubs as carry ons? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/723263-golf-clubs-carry-ons.html)

Howie721 Aug 8, 2007 11:51 am

Golf clubs as carry ons?

A friend from work inquiried about bringing 3 different golf clubs on board with her. She is flying EWR-ORD. The 3 clubs that are needed are simply the 9 iron, PW, and putter. Given that she is just playing a pitch and putt course (just picked up the game), her entire bag is not needed.

Have you heard anything about this or people carrying various clubs on board?

nako Aug 8, 2007 11:59 am

The TSA doesn't allow golf clubs to be carried onboard.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#5

Mike

Redhead Aug 8, 2007 12:01 pm

The "joys" of TSA stupidity :rolleyes:

Howie721 Aug 8, 2007 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by nako (Post 8196694)
The TSA doesn't allow golf clubs to be carried onboard.

I figured they didnt but I just wanted to check on FT.

Thanks!

bollar Aug 8, 2007 12:18 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with AA, so, let's move the read to Travel Safety and Security.

bollar
Moderator, AA

jragosta Aug 8, 2007 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 8196704)
The "joys" of TSA stupidity :rolleyes:

Why is it stupid? It takes long enough to load planes without having to deal with huge items like golf bags.

SuperBuck27 Aug 8, 2007 6:38 pm

Golf Clubs

Originally Posted by jragosta (Post 8198918)
Why is it stupid? It takes long enough to load planes without having to deal with huge items like golf bags.

Concur and I am a golfer.

Best plan? Call ahead to course, arrange for demo set. Most mid-to-high end courses now are offering very nice Callaway clubs as their demos ($30 on average per round).

If going to a private course/club, call the pro and they can arrange also. While playing golf in Scotland, many a pro shop just let me borrow their assitant pro's clubs for free while holding a driver's license or passport.

Good luck.

ralfp Aug 8, 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jragosta (Post 8198918)

Why is that the TSA's business?

n5667 Aug 9, 2007 2:00 am

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 8199972)

We don't enforce just our rules - indeed, many rules pertaining to prohibited items in checked bags are actually FAA rules... As is the two carry on rule.

However, in this case golf clubs are considered a prohibited item for it's potential offensive use... however, getting a good stroke in the cabin would be neigh impossible if you ask me... :)

alanR Aug 9, 2007 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 8199972)

I suspect I could do a fair bit of serious damage waving a golf club around especially a set with really dense heads

ralfp Aug 9, 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 8201348)
I suspect I could do a fair bit of serious damage waving a golf club around especially a set with really dense heads

Fair enough, but that doesn't answer the question of why the size of the golf clubs (or any carry on, within reason, say that fits into the x-ray scanner) is the TSA's business.

gfunkdave Aug 9, 2007 8:18 am

TSA at ORD once let me carry on a putter that had been broken down into a few pieces - I use it in hotel rooms for practice. Comes with a ball and a nice wooden cup. They said they considered it nonfunctional since it was in pieces.

TSA at HPN got all huffy and made me check it. According to them I could have screwed the pieces together and hijacked the plane. Personally, I think that if pax had seen me screwing together a putter and trying to hijack the plane with it ("Take this plane to Cuba, or I'll sink a birdie putt!!"), they'd have probably ganged up on me and thrown me out the nearest door.

Finite Elephant Aug 9, 2007 11:31 am

If you look through the restrictions, TSA won't let you take most things that would make an effective bludgeon on board. No golf clubs, baseball bats, ski poles, hammers, wrenches, large flashlights, etc. There are exceptions for medically necessary items like canes and crutches.

As for ORD being lax on such things, collegues of mine and I have had similar experiences where ORD allowed tools or large flashlights in carry-on for an outbound flight, but TSOs at other airports required them to be checked on the return.

goalie Aug 9, 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Finite Elephant (Post 8203171)
If you look through the restrictions, TSA won't let you take most things that would make an effective bludgeon on board. No golf clubs, baseball bats, ski poles, hammers, wrenches, large flashlights, etc. There are exceptions for medically necessary items like canes and crutches......

and don't phorget hockey sticks are strictly verbotten as well. ;)

videomaker Aug 9, 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 8203914)
and don't phorget hockey sticks are strictly verbotten as well. ;)

Yeah, they are never used as weapons. ;)