Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Kicks Off New Security Scanner At DIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: TSA
It is interesting to watch the speculation that takes place from all you FT'rs about things like this. Suffice it to say that you are not even close.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Then please give us at least as much info as you feel comfortable disclosing as to what might be expected. Thank you
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Then please give us at least as much info as you feel comfortable disclosing as to what might be expected. Thank you
Don't hold your breath expecting an explanation. This sounds like just more Kabuki security, this time incorporating a thingamajig to further the illusion of meaningful security. My guess is that FOK (Friend of Kippie) had a patent on some useless machine and needed to make a payment on a vacation home.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
It's part of Kippie's Designed Inconsistency® plan.
A quick review of TSA rules webpage, (which still says lighters are prohibited and the max. size of baggie items is 3 oz.), does not produce any disclaimer to the effect that you have just read the rules, but these rules are subject to change at the whim of the local TSA and so, therefore, you, the pax, really cannot count on them.

Dumb question, I know, but should not the TSA be required to put such a disclaimer someplace on the rules webpage?

If anyone can point me to any disclaimer, I'd be appreciative.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by doober
A quick review of TSA rules webpage, (which still says lighters are prohibited and the max. size of baggie items is 3 oz.), does not produce any disclaimer to the effect that you have just read the rules, but these rules are subject to change at the whim of the local TSA and so, therefore, you, the pax, really cannot count on them.

Dumb question, I know, but should not the TSA be required to put such a disclaimer someplace on the rules webpage?

If anyone can point me to any disclaimer, I'd be appreciative.
Kippie said it as a quote on this poster (which came from TSA):

http://home.comcast.net/~mdtraveler/TSA.pdf

Of course, I fixed it too

http://home.comcast.net/~mdtraveler/TSA_revised.jpg
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
It is interesting to watch the speculation that takes place from all you FT'rs about things like this. Suffice it to say that you are not even close.
The TSA is not going to permit any additional liquids through, but those that are currently permitted to brought in quantities greater than 3.3 oz (e.g. medication) will now be required to go through this extra step of examination.

The TSA should implement these machines such that those passengers that wish to bring in liquids in greater than 3.3 oz. could have their liquids examined and cleared.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The TSA is not going to permit any additional liquids through, but those that are currently permitted to brought in quantities greater than 3.3 oz (e.g. medication) will now be required to go through this extra step of examination.

The TSA should implement these machines such that those passengers that wish to bring in liquids in greater than 3.3 oz. could have their liquids examined and cleared.
That was my thought: "express lanes" for those who can comply with current restrictions, and a not-so-quick, more thorough procedure (SSSS-ish) for those with excess liquids.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was my thought: "express lanes" for those who can comply with current restrictions, and a not-so-quick, more thorough procedure (SSSS-ish) for those with excess liquids.
Better idea: how about we acknowledge that the threat from these items is infinitesimally small and drop the idiocy regarding it. @:-)
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better idea: how about we acknowledge that the threat from these items is infinitesimally small and drop the idiocy regarding it. @:-)
Yes, that is my wish also. I posted my suggestion under the "given" that the current TSA policy-makers aren't going to let go on that one anytime soon.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is my wish also. I posted my suggestion under the "given" that the current TSA policy-makers aren't going to let go on that one anytime soon.
Understandable. One of my sayings is a modified version of a government saying: "I don't negotiate with idiots."
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:11 pm

Stop talking so rationally. At least I would like to see some movement in the direction of permitting more liquids airside.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Stop talking so rationally. At least I would like to see some movement in the direction of permitting more liquids airside.
I do have to agree with the sentiment that if it requires TSA admitting they're wrong, it's not going to happen.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do have to agree with the sentiment that if it requires TSA admitting they're wrong, it's not going to happen.
But they don't have to say they were "wrong" at all! All they have to do is throw out some blather like: "We feel things have changed ..." or "We are better able to deal with this now ..." Not true, but it'd work as a face-saver.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
But they don't have to say they were "wrong" at all! All they have to do is throw out some blather like: "We feel things have changed ..." or "We are better able to deal with this now ..." Not true, but it'd work as a face-saver.
Or one of Kippie's favorites: "The technology has caught up to the threat." (seeing as how he always defends the mornonic kabuki security by claiming that technology is "being investigated" or "not yet there" to actually contribute to any meaningful security). He'd then ask for $5 billion more to roll the gizmo out, I'm sure.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.