Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rule to inconveniece Europeans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
48 hours notice for a business person coming to the US????

Oh, but if you want to sneak across our southern border by the millions that's ok?
Quite right sfoeuroflyer, quite right.

There have been occasions when I've had to fly to the US on under 48 hours notice for business.

What's worse, I can think of a couple of times when I've decided on a whim to pop over for pleasure, either same or next day. Why worse? It was on one of those trips that I met the woman who later became my wife

I wonder if they'll set up some variant on the domestic registered traveller program? Or perhaps give a bye to repeat travellers, making it only 48 hours notice for your first ever trip to the US?

Otherwise, it might just be worth getting a 10 year B2 visa, just in case.

Last edited by chartreuse; Aug 5, 2007 at 5:08 am Reason: To correct accidentally abbreviated quote.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:01 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
And there are a lot of people in the US (and I suspect the Administration) that would be just as happy if US citizens never traveled outside the country.
If that happened there would be nothing on the shelves in Walmart...but the good news is that the US Passport office might manage to catch up on the backlog.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
China is communist? It's communist like the DPRK is democratic. At least the USA doesn't call itself a democracy (does it)? Otherwise I agree.

Just try getting a US visa in 24 hours. Stupid US/us.
Communist in reality or not ... at least that's how it's called and in name calling USA is nowadays undoubted world leader.
"Democracy" and "freedom" are two most overused words when it comes to US describing itself.

Getting US visa in 24 hrs is pure science fiction yet if you're in Hong Kong and fancy visit to mainland China, you could get visa on the spot.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by chartreuse
Quite right sfoeuroflyer, quite right.

There have been occasions when I've had to fly to the US on under 48 hours notice for business.

What's worse, I can think of a couple of times when I've decided on a whim to pop over for pleasure, either same or next day. Why worse? It was on one of those trips that I met the woman who later became my wife

I wonder if they'll set up some variant on the domestic registered traveller program? Or perhaps give a bye to repeat travellers, making it only 48 hours notice for your first ever trip to the US?

Otherwise, it might just be worth getting a 10 year B2 visa, just in case.
I'd suggest boycotting this idiocy if at all possible instead.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Aleks
Any special dispensation for emergency travel - death/illness?
Good point! I suppose one would have to wait two days before transporting a body to the US just to make sure they were dead. In this day and age one can never be too sure. The smell test never fails!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
Does anyone know when more details will become available? What about European citizens who are live in Canada and go to the US every other weekend by car? (I'm asking beacuse that's my case!)

Or, more in general, what if you are a eurpean union citizen (eligeble for the visa waiver program) and you are not coming to the US directely from europe? (ie. you show up at a land crossing or you're flying into the US from a non-european airport). What would happen in that case?

Also, what other countries have been added to the list of "trusted" coutries? the article at FT.com says that 12 new countries have been added but only mentions 6. One of them is Brazil. I wonder if they are going to change their visa policy for Americans, now.

When is the 48hr requirement going to be implemented? at some point in 2008?

Would a visa in your passport waive the need for registering 48hrs in advance?

I really think that a lot of questions need to be answered by DHS asap!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
With this idiocy, and now Congress expanding warrantless wiretapping, God help us all.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:27 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Aelx2k
Does anyone know when more details will become available? What about European citizens who are live in Canada and go to the US every other weekend by car? (I'm asking beacuse that's my case!)
I'm sure we'd all like to know. Obviously, the best most of us can do is to keep searching Google News. But since you're directly affected by this, please keep us updated as you make inquires regarding your situation. Muchly appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The 48 hour rule makes no sense. The 9/11 terrorists had been in the US for years before they attacked. Maybe the next step is a 2 year rule??
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interestingly enough the EU's recent demand that all EU nationals be allowed to enter the US on the same terms as the EU nationals from visa waiver program countries is playing right into the hands of the persons advocating for this stupid measure -- actually for the elimination of the VWP -- to come in place in the US.

I don't believe that a 48-hours limit is anything more than a US position to negotiate down to an ETA-type requirement. (In the heads of the most extreme idiots perhaps 48-hours or more is on their wishlist, but that's not going to happen.) How many billions of dollars will the Federal Government waste on this thing and will Booz Allen, Accenture, Keane or some other consultants get the big bucks to "deliver" this junk to us?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:24 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Once all foreigners are banned from travelling to USA it is only a small step for US to prevent their own citizens from leaving.
And I already know the official reason that will be given: money spent abroad might be used for terrorist activity. You may only travel abroad if you can prove that you will not spend any funds while you are there. Similar to Cuba, isn't it?

HTB.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fortress America will be given new meaning.

"Do you support a stronger, more secure America? Then you must support this, to show the terra-ists we mean business."
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:23 am

Don't worry - as I've just posted the UK is getting it's retaliation in already. And it applies when you LEAVE the country as well.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
With this idiocy, and now Congress expanding warrantless wiretapping, God help us all.
If you have dual US/Cheese eating surrender monkey citizenship could you be tapped without a warrant?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by essxjay
I'm sure we'd all like to know. Obviously, the best most of us can do is to keep searching Google News. But since you're directly affected by this, please keep us updated as you make inquires regarding your situation. Muchly appreciated.
Indeed! I've been searching and searching for the past few days. Unfortunately, nothing is out yet :-(

As soon as I find something, I'll definitely post it here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.