Safety Razor + Blades in Carry-on?

Old Aug 3, 07, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Safety Razor + Blades in Carry-on?

Hello,

I didn't see this anywhere in a search I ran, so I thought I'd ask in case there were any other shave-geeks out there who travel with their DE (double-edge) razors? I have a standard Merkur HD and have been taking it with an extra blade in my carry-on or some time now with no trouble. It had never occured to me until recently that TSA might give me trouble for carrying the bare blades on the plane (I suppose I'd gotten so used to carrying the cartridged Mach 3s in the past that I didn't give carrying shaving equipment a second thought), but since these blades are "bare" razor blades, can TSA give me a hard time?

The regulations for sharp objects on TSA's site say that safety razors are excluded from the list of prohibited items, but these regulations are less clear on the blades themselves. I see that I can carry a blade in a cartridge... does that mean the blade I've already loaded into the razor is OK but not the extras?

Thanks for the input!
John
Old Aug 3, 07, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 3, 07, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
They will probably hassle you over the blades and take them.
If you take the empty razor and they spot it, they'll probably start rummaging for blades.
At least that's the theory that leads me to put them in checked luggage-- therefore I don't even travel with my good razor.

It's a shame it's come that to that, isn't it?
Old Aug 4, 07, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by TheMane View Post
but since these blades are "bare" razor blades, can TSA give me a hard time?

The regulations for sharp objects on TSA's site say that safety razors are excluded from the list of prohibited items, but these regulations are less clear on the blades themselves. I see that I can carry a blade in a cartridge... does that mean the blade I've already loaded into the razor is OK but not the extras?
I can't imagine why the extra blades -- DE, or otherwise -- would be a problem. Afterall, scissors with blades up to 4 inches are allowable, so mere razor blades ... ::shrug::

Of course, no one can give you a definitive answer. But as someone who's generally up on the trends in carry-on no-nos, I've not seen much reporting here lately of problems with razors and blades.

The cynic in me and others says that, indeed, c/p screeners can give you hard time about anything or nothing in particular. Best bet then, IMO, is that if for some godforsaken reason you are asked about it, just remain nonchalant. If you've got a Kippie Bag, you can declare it for decoy purposes and so your other stuff will very likely breeze through.

Overall, avoid eye contact with them and move swiftly and surely through the c/p like you do it all the time.

Honestly, I don't think that razors and/or blades are much on the radar at the moment -- unlike lighters, electronic equipment and water bottle. Pack it and forget it.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 4, 07 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 5, 07, 10:55 am

If the blades can be easily removed from the razor, the blades can be considered prohibited, to include the razor that is already installed.

There are many items on the permitted/prohibited lists that are questionable.
For instance, you can take a fishing pole, but not a pool cue.
You can take a tennis racket, but not a basebell bat.
My favorite, you can take scissors and a small screwdriver to help seperate them into 2 blades, but can't take a 1" razor blade.

It's just the way the rules are. We prohibit what we are told to prohibit.
Old Aug 6, 07, 8:43 am

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Originally Posted by TSASuper View Post
If the blades can be easily removed from the razor, the blades can be considered prohibited, to include the razor that is already installed.
If I can take my good razor in my carry-on, I'll check the blades. Getting a good shave when on the road would be nice.

Let me ask to see if I understand you right. The empty razor is free to fly in a carry-on? Isn't that just going to get your inquisitiveness going so you'll be calling a bag check? After all, what good's a razor without the blades, right? I might have some other improvised handle to make a threatening object from a razor blade so I can commit suicide by FAM or angry mob of passengers, right?

Sorry, but I'm just going to have to live with 5 o'clock shadow at 2:30.
Old Aug 6, 07, 10:11 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by RocketHokie View Post
If I can take my good razor in my carry-on, I'll check the blades. Getting a good shave when on the road would be nice.

Let me ask to see if I understand you right. The empty razor is free to fly in a carry-on? Isn't that just going to get your inquisitiveness going so you'll be calling a bag check? After all, what good's a razor without the blades, right? I might have some other improvised handle to make a threatening object from a razor blade so I can commit suicide by FAM or angry mob of passengers, right?

Sorry, but I'm just going to have to live with 5 o'clock shadow at 2:30.
Leave an old blade in it for them to confiscate.
Old Aug 6, 07, 10:18 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I would avoid flying with a double edge blade in a carry on. If you must, check
them in...
Old May 16, 08, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure what a "Safety Razor" is, but was wondering if I could bring disposable razors (3 pack) in my caryon.
Old May 16, 08, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
I am not sure what a "Safety Razor" is, but was wondering if I could bring disposable razors (3 pack) in my caryon.
I carry disposable razors in my carry on without a problem
Old May 16, 08, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TSASuper View Post
There are many items on the permitted/prohibited lists that are questionable.
For instance, you can take a fishing pole, but not a pool cue.
You can take a tennis racket, but not a basebell bat.
Evidently you've never been in a bar fight.
Old Mar 30, 09, 1:41 pm

sneaking them on

The TSA took the blade out of the razor, and also confiscated my 10-pack of blades. Took an extra 10 minutes at security, and they suspected I had more blades where my digital camera was stored. Ran my bag through 2-3 times as well.

Has anyone had any success leaving the blades in your pocket instead of running them through the x-ray machine? Or carrying them in a metal box of some sort?

-Noah
Old Mar 23, 10, 5:32 am

Just checking if things are still the same. So despite what the TSA site says about safety razors being permitted in the main cabin, they will confiscate the installed blade?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Also, does anyone know how to find the rules for other countries? I'll be going to China in a week and can't seem to find the info as to whether carrying a safety razor with installed blade is permitted in their main cabin.
Old Apr 29, 10, 12:44 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
Just checking if things are still the same. So despite what the TSA site says about safety razors being permitted in the main cabin, they will confiscate the installed blade?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Also, does anyone know how to find the rules for other countries? I'll be going to China in a week and can't seem to find the info as to whether carrying a safety razor with installed blade is permitted in their main cabin.
Just went through security 5 minutes ago and had my blades confiscated (though have been through a number of times in the past with them without a problem). So far I've had blades confiscated twice out of my 20-30 flights that I've had them in my carry-on bag.
Old Apr 29, 10, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by treznor View Post
Just went through security 5 minutes ago and had my blades confiscated (though have been through a number of times in the past with them without a problem). So far I've had blades confiscated twice out of my 20-30 flights that I've had them in my carry-on bag.
Just another example of TSA stupidity.

Search this Thread