Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safety Razor + Blades in Carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:15 am

Ok, I don't see electric shavers in that list. Is that allowed?

Thx
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by sam007
Ok, I don't see electric shavers in that list. Is that allowed?
I've taken mine in my carry-on for years.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:35 pm

Disposable razors and their cartridges are allowed, as are electric shavers. I've never even had a screener bat an eye at any of my razors.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: My travel agent
Haha!

Anyone has any luck with these kind of blades?

I use them in this kind of razor:

What is the legal status of... structuring your metal objects in your carry on? Let's say you have these nice razor blades and deliberately hide them in a wide mouth metal water bottle or some other metal object for the screeners not to find them? Genius?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
File complaints and demand remuneration.
I understand I'm responding to an older post, but IME the TSA will blow off such a complaint. We had the TSA confiscate solid crystal deodorant (the TSO claimed all deodorant was banned, not just liquids/gels), worth about $8-$10, and filed a claim. The TSA denied it, stating something like there was no proof that their screeners acted improperly.

The stated appeals process was to federal district court IIRC--in other words, impossible for the average traveler.

Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
What is the legal status of... structuring your metal objects in your carry on? Let's say you have these nice razor blades and deliberately hide them in a wide mouth metal water bottle or some other metal object for the screeners not to find them? Genius?
You could be accused of "artful" concealment, and face a kangaroo court fine which would be tough to beat. Checkpoint X-rays can also see through the thin metal of a water bottle--which I travel with all the time--and even if they couldn't, the screeners would likely do a manual inspection to resolve the object they couldn't make out well on x-ray (have had this happen fairly frequently with some items), and would run the risk of finding the blades and determining them "artfully concealed."

IMHO, not worth it in a carry-on.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
Haha!

Anyone has any luck with these kind of blades?

I use them in this kind of razor:

The website explicitly says that "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades" are prohibited.

Also, "structuring" your razor blades is about as good an idea as "structuring" your financial transactions - the underlying action may have minimal implications, but attempting to hide it ups the ante dramatically.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
TSA Blogger Bob has a post on safety razors, where he says very plainly that the razor without the blade is allowed, but the blade must be checked. He also goes on to say the disposable / cartridge razor with blade is acceptable.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-r...le-razors.html

I find this annoying, but I thought I pass on the link.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SWG Plat
I travel every time with my safety razor and a fresh blade. I was stopped two times in the last couple years but have since corrected the part that got me stopped. On the second occasion where I was stopped, they took the blade out of the razor but left some wrapped fresh blades that were literally next to it.

I wasn't aware of the concept of "artful concealment". It's really just a case of being practical, very forgetful, and sloppy.
  • I like it when my toiletry bag lays flat, so I separate the head from the handle and forget to remove the blade from the head. Assembled, it looks like a safety razor. Disassembled, it looks like nothing.
  • I frequently run late and throw a fresh blade (wrapped of course) into my laptop bag. From time to time it slips around and ends up with the electronics and potentially between the keyboard and screen of my laptop. How silly of me.

Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Echo
Assembled, it looks like a safety razor. Disassembled, it looks like nothing.
Disassembled, I've been told many times the handle of my safety razor looks like a bullet, so I leave mine assembled these days.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SWG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Disassembled, I've been told many times the handle of my safety razor looks like a bullet, so I leave mine assembled these days.
Yikes, maybe a NATO 5.56. I use a long handle so that may make a difference.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Echo
Yikes, maybe a NATO 5.56. I use a long handle so that may make a difference.
I use the Edwin Jagger DE razor. It isn't as long as a Merkur, but not that short either. Maybe they think it's a rifle bullet because it's a fairly straight cylinder with a tape on the end where it screws into the razor head.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:27 pm

Safety razor carry-on

Guys - didn't see any recent threads on this so asking..Are these allowed in carry-on?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:41 pm

A disposable type razor is allowed. A razor blade is not. Source:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...sposable-razor
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - didn't see any recent threads on this so asking..Are these allowed in carry-on?

Thanks
Always go to an authoritative source:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/08/07/...ked%20luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.