TSA VIPR mission at Indianapolis Bus Stops

Old Aug 2, 07, 7:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
TSA VIPR mission at Indianapolis Bus Stops

First Links to story...

http://www.wishtv.com/global/story.asp?s=6875491

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/LOCAL/70802006


INDIANAPOLIS - If you're heading downtown Thursday morning, you'll likely see a lot of activity at bus stops. That's because the TSA is doing security sweeps on IndyGo buses.

This is something the TSA is doing across the country. It's called a VIPR mission. It's part of the administration's effort to step up security on trains and mass transit systems.

Wednesday morning, and then again Thursday morning, TSA officers, canine teams, as well as IMPD officers conducted security sweeps at two bus stops at Capitol and Market and also at Ohio and Meridian.

During the past 18 months, there have been 84 VIPR sweeps across the country.

I have to thank the reporters for letting us know which bus stops to avoid and which days. Nothing like planning and press releases to keep "security" secure. After all we know no criminals or terra'st can read. We also know that a bad person would only try to board a bus at one of those two bus stops...

I'm sorry, but they would get told to pound sand if they tried to perform their VIPR search upon my person. They have no authority to violate my 4th Amendment rights, and I'm certainly not engaging in implied consent (why we have to put up with them at the airport) for walking on a public street downtown.

The workfarce program is growing; of course I'm sure they had all the WTMD well staffed at the airport, and the line wasn't running out the door and down the block like it is every other morning at IND.
themadman is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 9:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 253
"VIPR teams work with local security and law enforcement officials to supplement existing security resources, provide deterrent presence and detection capabilities, and introduce an element of unpredictability to disrupt potential terrorist planning activities." TSA website


Somehow I get the impression you think the TSO's are going to be setting up a magnotometer at the bus stop. This is not the case. The VIPR Teams are there as extra eyes. Now, your point about printing it in the paper is well taken. These things should not be advertised.
mmartin4600 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 9:20 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,037
Originally Posted by mmartin4600 View Post
Somehow I get the impression you think the TSO's are going to be setting up a magnotometer at the bus stop. This is not the case. The VIPR Teams are there as extra eyes. Now, your point about printing it in the paper is well taken. These things should not be advertised.
It's not like their presence at airports aren't unadvertised.

TSA is all about show, anyway.
LessO2 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 9:26 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by mmartin4600 View Post
Somehow I get the impression you think the TSO's are going to be setting up a magnotometer at the bus stop. This is not the case. The VIPR Teams are there as extra eyes. Now, your point about printing it in the paper is well taken. These things should not be advertised.
Well, if you watch the video or even look at the captured still on the side on the story, then you would see that they brought out the hand held magnotometer wands, and even brought a supply of diversify gray bins, along with their blue dog bowls for your change and keys.

They were also stopping people from getting on buses and requesting that they submit to a search without telling the sheeple that they had the right to refuse the search and proceed upon their travels without any interference.

Since they brought the table, the hand held wands, the bowls, and the trays; I would infer that in fact, yes, it is the case they plan on bringing out the magnotometer to the bus stop.
themadman is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 9:47 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,383
It's hard enough to get people out of cars and into the bus/train anyway. Now they have to invade that space too? That certainly won't encourage anyone and it isn't protecting us from anything. I suppose the sheeple will consent to any request in the name of "security" though.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 9:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
Well, if you watch the video or even look at the captured still on the side on the story, then you would see that they brought out the hand held magnotometer wands, and even brought a supply of diversify gray bins, along with their blue dog bowls for your change and keys.

They were also stopping people from getting on buses and requesting that they submit to a search without telling the sheeple that they had the right to refuse the search and proceed upon their travels without any interference.

Since they brought the table, the hand held wands, the bowls, and the trays; I would infer that in fact, yes, it is the case they plan on bringing out the magnotometer to the bus stop.
I stand corrected. I have personally been assigned to two VIPR teams, but, the BDO's did not bring any equipment. It was mostly standing around looking at people. Good times.
mmartin4600 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 10:02 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Posts: 10,070
It seems that the TSA spells "Security" like so: "E-M-P-I-R-E B-U-I-L-D-I-N-G"
Teacher49 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 10:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Posts: 7,251
I would also tell them to pound sand & a few other things I can't post on here.
coachrowsey is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 10:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Orlando
Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Posts: 1,383
Does anybody with half a brain think that checking people and their belongings at two Indianapolis Bus Stops is going to make us safer against terrorism.

What a joke, only we tax payers are paying for this joke!
OrlandoFlyer is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 3:26 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,703
Originally Posted by mmartin4600 View Post
"VIPR teams work with local security and law enforcement officials to supplement existing security resources, provide deterrent presence and detection capabilities, and introduce an element of unpredictability to disrupt potential terrorist planning activities." TSA website


Somehow I get the impression you think the TSO's are going to be setting up a magnotometer at the bus stop. This is not the case. The VIPR Teams are there as extra eyes. Now, your point about printing it in the paper is well taken. These things should not be advertised.
Sure, they should be advertised - the law supports this. Many jurisdictions require publicizing the location of police DUI checkpoints, speedtraps and other roadblocks.

Extra eyes for what? XRay vision to see if someone's backpack contains a bomb? The TSA has ZERO jurisdiction to search anyone or anything while on these ridiculous missions, and if they call the police to do the search, the person can refuse the search absent a warrant, probable cause or arrest.

Why should the American taxpayer be paying these people to stand around or ride the bus while the same taxpayers are waiting 30, 60 or even 90 minutes in line at the checkpoint because the stations are unmanned. Screeners need to be in airports, screening. Checkpoint positions needs to be opened - and opened in sufficient number so that no customer waits more than 10 minutes from line up to lace up.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 3:28 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,703
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer View Post
Does anybody with half a brain think that checking people and their belongings at two Indianapolis Bus Stops is going to make us safer against terrorism.

What a joke, only we tax payers are paying for this joke!
Watch the news interviews...I guarantee the reports will find at least 3 or 4 sheeple who will go on camera saying "if it makes me safer, I'm all for it". Anyone who comments to the contrary will end up on the editing room floor.

VIPR...even the name is a sick joke.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 3:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 733
Pointless in any way....

So lets say I'm a sheeple type person "anything for security"
-- What's the point - a bad guy just gets on at the next stop.

So let say I'm against this idiocy (which is me) -

-- The search can be refused, the program wastes money, etc...

What a waste of our tax $!
PHLflying is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 4:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 753
Oh my jebus, I'd quit before I subjected myself to such embarrassment.
n5667 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 4:52 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,376
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I can only read the first 15 comments to the newspaper aticle on my handheld. If the rest of the comments are similar, it's clear to me that the people of Indianapolis "get it" a heck of a lot better than most sheople I see at airports.

Maybe there's hope for America yet....
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Aug 2, 07, 6:06 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Posts: 10,070
Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post
So lets say I'm a sheeple type person "anything for security"
-- What's the point - a bad guy just gets on at the next stop.
No one even needs to get on the freaking bus. A car bomb driven into it at any point on its route, a road side IED, etc. etc. This whole idea of screening people as they board land based transportation is plain crazy.

Remember when the idea of screenings at railway stations was being floated? Same lunacy. There are 10's of thousands of mile of track - probably 100's of thousands that could be sabotaged more easily and to worse effect than a bomb carried on board.

Budget building.
Teacher49 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread