Cabin baggage allowance Heathrow LHR outward bound

Old Jul 31, 07, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF/Oneworld/Marriott Platinum
Cabin baggage allowance Heathrow LHR outward bound

Hi All,

Have read this
http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

From what I understand - going out ot Heathrow, you can only take one peice of cabin luggage. ie, I cannot take a hangbag and a cabin bag or a laptop bag & a cabin bag, everything jsut has to fit in the one cabin bag.

Does this still apply if you are in Business or First?

I have a slim laptop bag... and a DSLR camera bag. neither fits in any one bag together and i dont want to check in either!! :S

HELPP...

Am flying QANTAS in pleb economy but am WP.... wondering if i need to request an upgrade just to get my bags on...
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
It's the same regardless of class of travel.
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
It's the same regardless of class of travel.
Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:27 pm

The only place where you are restricted to one item is the security checkpoint.

Just get a large lightweight folding bag, put both your bags in it before you go through security and take them out again once you're through. Done!
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
True, same rule applies regardless of class of travel. But there is some room for imaginative solutions, like say tieing the straps of the two bags together, or strapping your SLR case onto your belt as you enter security, then passing it through the X-ray machine with your belt and shoes, or carrying with you a cheap and compact duffel bag that holds both the camera case and laptop bag long enough to get through security, or...all at your own risk of course, but in my experience any one of these strategies would probably work.

And hopefully airport security personnel are feeling a little chastened after the IATA report of the last few days, and so perhaps will be inclined to be reasonable. Or is this wishful thinking??
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:32 pm

You could get something as simple as a sturdy shopping bag that will fit those essential items into one "piece". Once you're through security, you're free to take them out.
Old Aug 1, 07, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
The only place where you are restricted to one item is the security checkpoint.

Just get a large lightweight folding bag, put both your bags in it before you go through security and take them out again once you're through. Done!
Cool thanks - that's a good idea...but are they picky on the size of this "larger" bag?

I saw one of those fold up nylon duffle bag kinda things that like can be folded up and zipped into a small packet like a raincoat. I would have bought it to put both my bags in but it was 40pounds for this fold up bag?!
Old Aug 1, 07, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by bluespinich View Post
but are they picky on the size of this "larger" bag?
Yes - it must fit in 56x45x25cm
Old Aug 1, 07, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Since your laptop needs to be out at UK security, you only need to fit the camera in your carry-on (plus shove the laptop bag minus the laptop if you are carrying on).
Old Aug 10, 07, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Since your laptop needs to be out at UK security, you only need to fit the camera in your carry-on (plus shove the laptop bag minus the laptop if you are carrying on).
Are you sure - the regulations state that all your items must fit into one bag, not that you can take things that are scanned separately out and put everything else in the bag
Old Aug 10, 07, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
Are you sure - the regulations state that all your items must fit into one bag, not that you can take things that are scanned separately out and put everything else in the bag
What Kiwi Flyer said works. Twice a week for a few months I was removing my laptop and using the space to host a collection of communications equipment that I would then remove after clearing the security checkpoint and getting my laptop and bag back. No issue as long as I had the laptop out before getting to the checkers.

Search this Thread