lgb terminal dump jul 26, 2007

Old Jul 26, 07, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
lgb terminal dump jul 26, 2007

here is is folks-the latest and greatest.

from the ap
=====
Long Beach, Calif., Airport Evacuated
A suspicious piece of luggage prompted the evacuation of a Long Beach Airport terminal Thursday, authorities said.

The luggage was discovered by federal Transportation Security Administration workers at about 9:30 a.m., city police spokeswoman Kathy Parsons said. She had no further information.

Several hundred people were ordered to evacuate, and firefighters, police and a bomb squad were called to the airport, about 25 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.
Old Jul 26, 07, 12:38 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
New TSA math: four blocks of cheese = C4

If the After Event All Clear report contains the words "block of cheese" I'm going to hurl.
Old Jul 26, 07, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I'm expecting diversions from CDG any day now...I'm sure it will be unpasturized cheese to boot (mmmm, cheese).
Old Jul 26, 07, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
If the After Event All Clear report contains the words "block of cheese" I'm going to hurl.
ROTFLMAO (and look, all caps from me )
Old Jul 26, 07, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Angry

Stupid Morons!!!
Old Jul 26, 07, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Hundreds of people were milling about the parking lot of the airport as officials investigated.
What's wrong with this picture ?

Tick, tick, tick...
Old Jul 26, 07, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Stupid Morons!!!
now it's an offical thread

and guess what, it wasn't cheese......

from the ap
Suspicious Item At Long Beach Airport Was A Hand-Held Game

=====
Suspicious Item At Long Beach A Airport Was Hand-Held Game

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- The discovery of a suspicious item -- which turned out to be a hand-held game -- in a piece of luggage prompted the evacuation of Long Beach Airport on Thursday, police said.

A baggage screener notified authorities about 9:20 a.m., and the decision was made to evacuate all passengers from the terminal, said Nancy Pratt of the Long Beach Police Department.

A bomb squad responded to the scene, and a robot was sent into the airport terminal to examine the item. A Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman said the item turned out to be a hand-held game.

Inbound flights were permitted to land, but were held on the tarmac, while outbound flights were delayed.

Airport spokeswoman Sharon Diggs-Jackson said the investigation began wrapping up at about 10:45 a.m.

Airport employees were going back to work around 11:15 a.m. KNBC reported there will be some flight delays due to the evacuation.
Old Jul 26, 07, 1:43 pm

Hey, they are just being extra vigilant for 'spishus items like Kippie told them.
After all there have been four in the last year.

Hebrews 13:8 (King James version).
Old Jul 26, 07, 1:43 pm
Suspended

This is great!

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
now it's an offical thread

and guess what, it wasn't cheese......

from the ap
Suspicious Item At Long Beach Airport Was A Hand-Held Game

=====
Suspicious Item At Long Beach A Airport Was Hand-Held Game

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- The discovery of a suspicious item -- which turned out to be a hand-held game -- in a piece of luggage prompted the evacuation of Long Beach Airport on Thursday, police said.

A baggage screener notified authorities about 9:20 a.m., and the decision was made to evacuate all passengers from the terminal, said Nancy Pratt of the Long Beach Police Department.

A bomb squad responded to the scene, and a robot was sent into the airport terminal to examine the item. A Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman said the item turned out to be a hand-held game.

Inbound flights were permitted to land, but were held on the tarmac, while outbound flights were delayed.

Airport spokeswoman Sharon Diggs-Jackson said the investigation began wrapping up at about 10:45 a.m.

Airport employees were going back to work around 11:15 a.m. KNBC reported there will be some flight delays due to the evacuation.
The more of these knee-jerk reactions stories about delays being forced upon the traveling public over nothing, the better.

Keep it up, TSA - you're just making yourselves look more and more dysfunctional every day.
Old Jul 26, 07, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I am not great at logic (my GRE score in that section was abysmal), but it seems to me that: the sheeple don't fly often, most of the folks who are greatly inconvenienced by this nonsense would get p!ssed off with all this, this only makes the Govt look worse to the handful of travellers who'd give them a (slight) benefit of the doubt up to now.

Just a thought ...
Old Jul 26, 07, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doober View Post
The more of these knee-jerk reactions stories about delays being forced upon the traveling public over nothing, the better.

Keep it up, TSA - you're just making yourselves look more and more dysfunctional every day.
ding ding ding! we have a winner
Old Jul 26, 07, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by doober View Post

I'm sorry, as much as I want to, I just don't believe that this will lead to any changes or a mass rebellion of travelers. Every time I see an article like this, the majority of the comments are something along the lines of, "Well, I'm willing to wait if it makes us safer."

Please, I'm just the messenger. Don't shoot or drench me with more than 3.4 oz of liquids.

Mike
Old Jul 26, 07, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Why would anyone pack an electronic game in checked luggage? Wasn't he afraid the TSA would steal it?
Old Jul 26, 07, 2:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
According to the Houston Chron, the guy worked for a toy maker.
Old Jul 26, 07, 3:07 pm

Jennifer Peppin, a spokeswoman for the federal agency.

The item turned out to be a handheld electronic game board in a "raw form" that showed its wiring, she said.

The passenger worked for "some sort of game or toy company," she added.
Bet Jennifer wishes she had taken this week off.

Search this Thread