Is more than 3 ounces of mouthwash allowed?

Old Jul 25, 07, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is more than 3 ounces of mouthwash allowed?

If it is a medical need? And how would my husband go about proving that it is a need? About 3 years ago he had a gum graft to correct receding gums and was very sternly warned that if he did not take impeccable care of his teeth and gums he would be losing some of said teeth. He brushes and uses Listerine religously after every meal. 3 ounces is insufficient for any trip over 24 hours. Ever since the liquid ban he has checked his luggage but he's getting tired of it. Would a note from his dentist be sufficient? Or is it going to be more of a hassle to explain this to the TSA than it is to check? Most of his trips are one or two weeks long so he checks anyways but he has two 3 day trips coming up and would like to try carrying on.
Old Jul 25, 07, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
If it is a medical need? And how would my husband go about proving that it is a need? About 3 years ago he had a gum graft to correct receding gums and was very sternly warned that if he did not take impeccable care of his teeth and gums he would be losing some of said teeth. He brushes and uses Listerine religously after every meal. 3 ounces is insufficient for any trip over 24 hours. Ever since the liquid ban he has checked his luggage but he's getting tired of it. Would a note from his dentist be sufficient? Or is it going to be more of a hassle to explain this to the TSA than it is to check? Most of his trips are one or two weeks long so he checks anyways but he has two 3 day trips coming up and would like to try carrying on.
Get it labeled as a prescription.
Old Jul 25, 07, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Get it labeled as a prescription.
or get several small 3.0oz bottles and put the moushwash into them. there is no limit to the number of bottles as long as they all can fit in the kip-lock baggie. just make sure you label the bottles so you know what's in them as we woulnd't want you hubby put your purfume in his mouth-i'm being both silly and serious as there have been too many instances where folks put there saline solution into small bottles and inadvertantly put the purfume into their eye because they didn't label the bottle.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 25, 07 at 7:00 pm
Old Jul 25, 07, 7:03 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
A Dr or his dentist can write a prescription that allows him to fill OTC Over the Counter. Meaning he can buy any brand of mouthwash he wants and attach the label to the bottle. Making it TSA approved.
Old Jul 26, 07, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also religious about mouthwash and flossing. For the two-week trips, I just buy a decent-sized bottle when I get there, because I would go through a large bottle over a two-week period anyway. For shorter trips, if you have any prescription bottles of cough medicine that are expired or you don't use them any more, you might try thoroughly cleaning them and filling them with Listerine. If you can squeeze a couple of 3-oz Listerine bottles into your Freedom baggie and augment that supply with some "cough medicine" declared outside your baggie, that might be enough to get by for a few days.
Old Jul 27, 07, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the bottle label says three ounces even if it's five ounces inside the actual bottle, it will be allowed by all TSAers regardless of the official rules. More Kip Hawley genius being demonstrated.

Search this Thread