New TSA Policy on Shoes at PVD this morning...

Old Jul 25, 07, 4:43 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,916
New TSA Policy on Shoes at PVD this morning...

"You're shoes must not be in the bin - you must place them flat on the belt"

Didn't bother arguing
elitetraveler is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:15 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,089
"Good; I'll just untie the laces so that they get tangled up in the rollers and jam your x-ray machine."

exerda is online now  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 617
I think they are hording the bins. Vegas is the worst about not having an ample supply of bins. Not quite sure how they lose them. I think it would be obvious if you walked off with one.
djlndc is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:19 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arizona
Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Posts: 2,420
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
"Good; I'll just untie the laces so that they get tangled up in the rollers and jam your x-ray machine."

Now now, we all know FFers wear non-laced loafers when flying
jonesing is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 617
Originally Posted by jonesing View Post
Now now, we all know FFers wear non-laced loafers when flying
So true!
djlndc is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:43 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 15,122
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
"You're shoes must not be in the bin - you must place them flat on the belt"

Didn't bother arguing
My guess would have been shoes were banned. It's the next logical step after all ...
Superguy is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
SYR has been very anal about shoes in the bin, especially during the winter.

the barker says "please do not put shoes in the bin. you just came in from the sludge, would you like that all over your stuff? no, then don't put your shoes in the bin"
gj83 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 6:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,037
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
SYR has been very anal about shoes in the bin, especially during the winter.

the barker says "please do not put shoes in the bin. you just came in from the sludge, would you like that all over your stuff? no, then don't put your shoes in the bin"

It would be then I would point out the TSAers and other airport employees who get to leave their shoes on, and I get to walk in that "sludge."

It would be then that I would get a retaliatory secondary.
LessO2 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 6:15 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,285
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
SYR has been very anal about shoes in the bin, especially during the winter.

the barker says "please do not put shoes in the bin. you just came in from the sludge, would you like that all over your stuff? no, then don't put your shoes in the bin"
Response: "I shouldn't be taking off my shoes at all, you stupid moron!"
Spiff is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 8:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Somewhere between DEN & ...
Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 174
Not necessarily policy

Be careful about what you call TSA policy. I promise you that TSA often shouts "policy" when in fact there is no such policy. Someday I'll start a thread about "policy" that I challenged and when the FSD came to see what was going on, apologized and sent me on my way. Policy schmolicy in my opinion. I also know this first-hand, having once been inside this Administration (not TSA, but.....).

Now, having said that, they tried the same thing on me at LAS last Saturday. My wife complied, but I refuse to put my shoes through except in a bin, because my routine is to put my cell phone, or if I'm using my iPod, in my shoes in a bin. That way the shoes don't get stuck going through x-ray or knocked around, losing the cell phone. The other bin is just my laptop.

When I took the second bin, the guy working the line, who had been shouting "no shoes in bin" (and who, BTW, was NOT a TSA employee) just looked at me like I had violated some federal law. But, my shoes went in the bin and my cell phone in my shoe.

He was just playing a little power game, and was the only one working the line. All other security lines didn't have the little power guy screaming about one bin only.

I am so sick of this crap.
DC-COFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 8:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Behind you
Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Posts: 4,993
They even make us remove slippahs now.

Originally Posted by jonesing View Post
Now now, we all know FFers wear non-laced loafers when flying
Like many Hawaii-based FTers, I got into the habit of wearing rubber slippahs / zori / flip-flops after the whole shoe-bomber thing, since the TSA seemed to be of the (correct) opinion that you couldn't hide much in one.

After the most recent UK silliness, the TSA now makes us remove even those. I have no real idea why; I don't think I can hide petrol, propane tanks, nails, Jeeps or immigrant doctors in them...
DanTravels is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 9:46 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,089
Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
After the most recent UK silliness, the TSA now makes us remove even those. I have no real idea why; I don't think I can hide petrol, propane tanks, nails, Jeeps or immigrant doctors in them...
The reason: the TSA doesn't know what they are doing, but definitely want the nervous nellies of the public at large to think they do.
exerda is online now  
Old Jul 25, 07, 10:22 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwest Georgia
Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
Like many Hawaii-based FTers, I got into the habit of wearing rubber slippahs / zori / flip-flops after the whole shoe-bomber thing, since the TSA seemed to be of the (correct) opinion that you couldn't hide much in one.

After the most recent UK silliness, the TSA now makes us remove even those. I have no real idea why; I don't think I can hide petrol, propane tanks, nails, Jeeps or immigrant doctors in them...
It is out of an abundance of caution that they make you do this. Translation: Kip Hawley is an idiot!
GeorgiaRebel is offline  
Old Jul 25, 07, 11:42 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,045
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Response: "I shouldn't be taking off my shoes at all, you stupid moron!"
Yeah. I think it is best idea what you telling TSA about taking off my shoes. I have a no major problems my shoes at all. Why I couldn't tell them from TSA screeners from other airports. I am only allowable leave my shoes on here in PHX. I told TSA screeners that I am work there at PHX. I did actually allow leave my shoes on to get through checkpoint. He said "Oh, ok!" to me. That means it is no problems from me.

Do you think TSA will ever changed the rules about taking off the shoes. I said "I have a nothing wrong my shoes, you moron!" While I was flying out from FLL few couple months ago. I had a problems with him. When BSO was came by see me. I told him that I have a no evidence the shoes at all. It just only for me but, no one anybody else. Get it!?!?
N830MH is offline  
Old Jul 27, 07, 5:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Home: Arlington, VA; Home airports: IAD/DCA/BWI
Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 4,088
Since when is that in the SOP and how does putting shoes in the bin hinder the screener at the machine from examining its contents?

I would've just ignored the idiot.

- Pat
Wiirachay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread