Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off?

Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off?

Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly all the time - haven't refused to take off my shoes in a few months because I've lately developed the nasty tendency of arriving at the airport at the last minute.

Originally Posted by Michelle2385
Sadly, that is no longer an option. I guess you haven't flown since August 10th.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Superguy
So it's really no different than the retalation pre 8/10 when you dared to question a TSO's authoritah.
Actually it's worse since they changed the policy ... the entire thing is a load of bull.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Actually it's worse since they changed the policy ... the entire thing is a load of bull.
Well, it has been since TSA was formed, but that's another thread.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Oh, and to the guy who implied that people in Afghanistan are shorter-lived because of hygiene - you're wrong. People in Afghanistan are shorter-lived because they're caught in the crossfire between the US Army and the Taliban.
I am the guy who implied that lack of personal hygiene is a reason why life expectancy is less in Afghanistan than it is in the United States. I humbly submit that one should review life expectancy statistics for Afghanistan prior to September 2001. I am extremely confident that such a review would prove that ousting the Taliban was not the only reason that average life expectancy in Afghanistan is less than it is in the United States. Nice try ...

Edit: I did a quick Google search and found this link http://www.worldbank.org/depweb/engl...life/map1.html that proves my point.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
  1. tell the screener that you are diabetic and have foot ulcers and taking your shoes off poses a health risk to you.
  2. have your doctor give you a letter on his/her letterhead explaing the above and show it to the screeners
  3. carry a copy of this with you (http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/assets/pdf/sp...needs_memo.pdf). page 3 is where it's at and this may/may not get you by without the above but it has never failed me with my wearing orthotics (see below)
Yesterday at ORD (one-way ORD-MCI flight), I gave the a copy of the TSA memo to the TSO, who said "This is dated September 2006. Our SOPs have changed since then." Of course she didn't show me anything in writing.

She then got another supervisor, and to convince him I actually did have a medical problem, had to pull off my socks and shoes (while not letting my feet touch the ground) and show him the wart on the bottom of my foot. So much for medical privacy.

Oh, and I got the full pat-down, including the TSO saying that my wallet (!) had alarmed and needed to run that through the X-ray machine. Almost missed my flight. Man oh man, am I glad I decided to drive home instead of flying (it was a 10 hour drive).
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nigelloring
Yesterday at ORD (one-way ORD-MCI flight), I gave the a copy of the TSA memo to the TSO, who said "This is dated September 2006. Our SOPs have changed since then." Of course she didn't show me anything in writing.

She then got another supervisor, and to convince him I actually did have a medical problem, had to pull off my socks and shoes (while not letting my feet touch the ground) and show him the wart on the bottom of my foot. So much for medical privacy.

Oh, and I got the full pat-down, including the TSO saying that my wallet (!) had alarmed and needed to run that through the X-ray machine. Almost missed my flight. Man oh man, am I glad I decided to drive home instead of flying (it was a 10 hour drive).
they were wrong-sop has not changed and you are still not required to remove your shoes if you have a medical condition.
the tsa's own website regaring mobility disabilties (http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/air...rial_1371.shtm) where if you look at the 9th bullet point:

Let the Security Officer know if your shoes cannot be removed because of your disability so that alternative security procedures can be applied to your shoes.

sorry, but to me having a wart on the bottom of you foot falls into this category, dontcha think?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nigelloring

A violation of your right to medical privacy and by people who are not physicians at that. Further, they have no qualifications to make a determination about the wart on your foot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.